collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shotgun shells ! What kind to buy?  (Read 4359 times)

Offline crow360

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Shotgun shells ! What kind to buy?
« on: August 06, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
Can't decide what kinda of shotgun shells to buy. Hevi-metal or go with a cheaper round like Federal. $99 for a case of 3" 1/8 shot 2 shot.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Shotgun shells ! What kind to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
What ever you do buy a case of what you like. When you keep the ammo consistent then you can get used to your gun. Shot weight and FPS being the same. Your pattern and how much you need to lead at distance will improve. Me personally I buy cases of Kent 3"#3steel and then some heavy metal 3" BBB for pass shooting geese. Since i shoot the same thing i just look for good deals and buy when they are on sale.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »
Pick a load that has sufficient velocity at 30-40 yards where ducks are usually shot at.  Steel doesn't retain energy like the lead loads do.   A load that "whomps" ducks will reduce the number of cripples making retrieval easier.  You don't need a super fast velocity.  Steel loads in the 1400-1500 fps work quite well.

I'd pattern various loads out of your gun before I'd buy a caseload.

My project before duck season starts is to pattern Kent Fasteel #2's and #3's out of my Imp Cyl and Mod chokes.

Reason I want a little velocity to my loads is I was shooting 2 3/4 inch #4's with a MV of 1200 fps.  Too many follow up shots were needed or I watched my hunting partners knock down the ones I was shooting at.   Once I switched to a faster load there were very few second shots needed.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
"I'd pattern various loads out of your gun before I'd buy a caseload"

:yeah:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
If you do buy a case, hevi-shot has a rebate of $50 on cases.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline crow360

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »
Thank you all for the advice!  I still haven't decided yet. I need to just pull the trigger one way or another.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
Jmo but having a case of shells that don't shoot well in your gun is all but worthless. I would hold off till I got my gun figured out on what it likes. Then buy a case of those that shoot well. The money spent on patterning your gun is well worthe it!!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »
You won't know until you pattern them.  BUT here is the thing, with all the chokes out there every decent load is probably going to perform.

I stumbled into the Bargain Cave when they had a drop basket full of chokes for $4/ea.  I bought one of every choke that would either work in a Winchoke, like my 12 ga Ithaca 37s take, or a Beretta Explor Unico A400 and walked out with 25 chokes that were all the way from wide open to extra full.   

A few years back all i could buy was Blindside and so I took my shotguns to the pattern board with a gallon Zip Lock full of chokes and included in that were screw in Poly Chokes.  I had a Black cloud choke in both guns and that Blindside patterned as well as a trap gun out of both with that choke so I used a total of two shells. 

A couple weeks later I could not get the Blindside so I bought what they had, some el cheapo, and it took me going through the bag w/my Ithaca to get something that was good, but not great.  It was a cylinder bore "breaching choke" for a riot gun I guess... try everything.   

I now buy Blindside when it is on sale and buy three cases at a time so that I have five cases on hand.  I buy in Febuary or March when it is on sale and I usually also have a rebate coupon worth $50/case and get three receipts so I can have one $50 sent to different addresses and get the rebates.  It comes out to a hundred, more or less per flat.  And I know it flat out performs out of both of my 12 ga guns. 

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
i have been buying the 3" rio shells when they go on sale for 90 bucks a case for the last few years at cabelas.  i've got a bit of a stockpile, since i don't usually shoot more than 4 or 5 boxes a year(hard to stomach paying $15 or more for a box of plain jane steel shot).

if you have a gun with screw in chokes you're ahead of the game.  i find myself using an I/C in 12 gauge, modified in 20, and extra full in 10(go figure), so you can't always rely on conventional wisdom.  patterning your gun with a variety of chokes really is the way to go.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 07:49:19 AM »
When I shop for steel loads, I usually pass on anything with less than 1 1/4 oz of shot. Lot's of guys swear by the ultra fast light loads. I do not. Either 2 3/4 or 3", I look for at least 1 1/4oz at a fair price. I feel the load is more important than the brand, everyone makes a pretty good shell these days.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 08:55:36 PM »
1 1/4 ounch doesnt have to be super fast, ive never bought into the hot new loads.. the blue box federal, kent fast steel always seem to pattern well for me.  I hate winchester expert.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 09:08:06 PM »
I go with Kent Fasteels, they seem to kill ducks and are decent price normally and excellent price when on sale.

Offline waoutdoorsman

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »
Jmo but having a case of shells that don't shoot well in your gun is all but worthless. I would hold off till I got my gun figured out on what it likes. Then buy a case of those that shoot well. The money spent on patterning your gun is well worthe it!!

For my shotgun I've had the best pattern and killing power (less cripples) with black cloud and hevi-metal. I did pick up box of the new browning ammo i have yet to pattern it. Test a few boxes see what your gun likes and then buy the case. Some days the ducks drop like flies others i swear they're wearing kevlar-especially goldeneyes.
Chupacabra: Spanish for mangy coyote.

Offline magnus100

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
Blindside works really well for me. Hard to beat Macks PW case prices when the rebates are added in.
Can't wait till Saturday.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
Blindside works really well for me. Hard to beat Macks PW case prices when the rebates are added in.
Can't wait till Saturday.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal