collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fix-a-flat for truck with trailer??  (Read 10047 times)

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
Re: Fix-a-flat for truck with trailer??
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:46 PM »
Its a 15 silverado, i found 2 tires on CL im going to go look at in the morning. They are with out rims, but the tires are mud terrains and they are like 85%, hes asking $100 a tire

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »
Most tire stores have used tires and wheels that would work great for a lot less than $500. There are also a lot of used tire stores around nowadays. I know of at least 1 in Longview and Centralia.

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 06:30:22 AM »
Go to amazon or ebay and type in 'heavy duty tire repair kit'. I've used those kits numerous times to fix tires. they are simple and effective and great to have in a time of need. also, you can get a small pump that plugs into your power outlet and you can air up a flat if it loses that much air. the tire repair kits make awesome Christmas gifts!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 06:50:40 AM »
If this was me, I'd go to a couple of places that sell used tires at a big discount.  I would see if I could find a decent used tire and wheel in the correct size.  Will be a lot less than $500.  I see no reason to have a brand new tire as a spare when one with 50% tread left on it will get you out of a jam.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
Its a 15 silverado, i found 2 tires on CL im going to go look at in the morning. They are with out rims, but the tires are mud terrains and they are like 85%, hes asking $100 a tire
1500? 2500 or 3500? Bolt holes?

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »
Picked up a tire from some very sketchy people but the tire checked out and i got it for $80! its almost brad new and there are no tears or patches and no lugs missing! past my water check also. so now i just need to track down a rim.

Offline Grit dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
Craigslist is your friend here. Lots of used rims.
Have you measured to see how big a tire will fit underneath?  Even if you're not able to crank it up all the way, as long as it's tight against the trailer hitch or whatever's blocking it, who cares if it hangs down 6". You got 2' of clearance with that big truck and guessing you're not boonie hoppin a brand new pickup too hard.
Or just get the biggest tire that will fit. Even your stock full size tire is fine unless you're running lockers in the axles.
I did the same as you and bought a used big spare to match the size halfway close when I went to AK. But I knew I might have to drive 1000mi on that spare loaded with a truck camper.
Make sure you got a trailer spare as well and the right lug wrenches and a jack or blocks that will work for truck and trailer.
Spare tires are a Murphy's law thing IMO. Much less chance of needing if you're prepared.

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Craigslist is your friend here. Lots of used rims.
Have you measured to see how big a tire will fit underneath?  Even if you're not able to crank it up all the way, as long as it's tight against the trailer hitch or whatever's blocking it, who cares if it hangs down 6". You got 2' of clearance with that big truck and guessing you're not boonie hoppin a brand new pickup too hard.
Or just get the biggest tire that will fit. Even your stock full size tire is fine unless you're running lockers in the axles.
I did the same as you and bought a used big spare to match the size halfway close when I went to AK. But I knew I might have to drive 1000mi on that spare loaded with a truck camper.
Make sure you got a trailer spare as well and the right lug wrenches and a jack or blocks that will work for truck and trailer.
Spare tires are a Murphy's law thing IMO. Much less chance of needing if you're prepared.

Yeah I'm going to look around for rims and see if I can find one on CL but if not I might just order one that matches my rims now. I'm also going to try to fit it under my truck where the factory spare sits. The truck does have a locker in the rear. My trailer does have a spare and I went and bought a wrenc that stays in the truck to change the tires if needed. I do need to see if I need to make some blocks for the jack.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
is your trailer dual axle? if so all you need is a block for the "other" tire, just pull up on it!
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 07:46:29 PM »
is your trailer dual axle? if so all you need is a block for the "other" tire, just pull up on it!
Carl

Yes it's a dual axle. Good call on that. I'll have to go home and find a good pice of scrap.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »
Most trailer with 2 axles wave separate Springs or a connector  that pivots so that won't work. It works if there are 2 tires on one axles and the outside one is flat. You can change it without unbolting it.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »
Good point, my trailer has two sets of leaf prings per axle

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
Had a valve stem break one time on my trailer.  Nothing but a fully functional spare wheel/tire for each for me from now on.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »
Picked up a tire from some very sketchy people but the tire checked out and i got it for $80! its almost brad new and there are no tears or patches and no lugs missing! past my water check also. so now i just need to track down a rim.

Don't post a picture of the tire.  Someone might recognize it... :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Look on Craigslist for a used 35" tire and have it mounted on your spare wheel.  Or call a tire shop and have them hold an old one that they have. However, Part of the problem with this is that you cannot fit a 35" tire in the spare tire storage slot so it'll have to be kept somewhere else.

This is my two cents.

Depends on the truck.  It might require some modification to be able to squeak in there.  I have a 35 under my Super Duty that only took minimal modification to fit ( I did add a heat shield between the tire and exhaust)  My Frontier fit a 34" tire in as the spare with no issue.

How does fix a flat or Green Slime, or other similar products render the tire useless?
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw