collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Giving up the special spots - Forum etiquette  (Read 14784 times)

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Giving up the special spots - Forum etiquette
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »
I get Merkel's point, it applies to a lot of aspects of hunting. Big game, waterfowl, varmints. It only takes a few people to ruin a spot.

It doesn't take much to shoot out a covey. Sharing spots can lead to over pressured and over hunted birds. Add in natural predation, winter kill, poor hatches, fires etc it doesn't take more than a couple extra hunters to tip the scales. I know spots that used to hold large covies of quail and chukar but they got hunted to the point that birds died out or moved out of the area, now they are barren.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:47:07 PM by scottr »

Offline joe_dumy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Giving up the special spots - Forum etiquette
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 04:49:50 AM »
I don't mind sharing general information with people I meet. I wouldn't post a spot ever on the net. And I know when someone is fishing for info. I do it and it's a productive way to get some pointers on new places. I am never asking for exact spots or directions. Sometimes they are given at the campfire but I always ask if they mind if I go check it out. Usually they say they don't hunt it anymore.

As far as sharing spots and how to hunt it. I got two buddies and it's unspoken but pretty sure we all know our friendship would be over if we caught them showing someone around a honey hole. Maybe I should check to make sure. Na.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »
I get Merkel's point, it applies to a lot of aspects of hunting. Big game, waterfowl, varmints. It only takes a few people to ruin a spot.

It doesn't take much to shoot out a covey. Sharing spots can lead to over pressured and over hunted birds. Add in natural predation, winter kill, poor hatches, fires etc it doesn't take more than a couple extra hunters to tip the scales. I know spots that used to hold large covies of quail and chukar but they got hunted to the point that birds died out or moved out of the area, now they are barren.

All it takes is one and I can guarantee that that one will not be the guy who puts in the effort you do to do the research and legwork to find those spots in the first place.  NEVER SHARE ANYTHING WITH A LAZY SLOB WHO ISN'T WORKING AS HARD AS YOU DO, OR HARDER, TO FIND PLACES THAT HOLD GAME. 

If you do, you may just as well post the latitude and longitude here because they have absolutely no respect for or appreciation for what you have shared with them and they will ruin it for you in the future. 

It just is what it is and the earlier you learn it the better off you will be for it. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:50:17 AM by JDHasty »

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
I've been burned several times.  I've also been shown a few decent areas, with the agreement not to take anyone else there, and I've honored that.  In the main however, there's no substitute for putting in the time and boot leather to find an area on your own.  That's why they call it hunting. 

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Through this forum, I've met some great people who've given some thoughtful advice and input. I'd never ask for a honey hole - I get how tough it is to find one in the first place.

I think what's being said here is something that we all want: Honor, dignity, integrity, kindness.

I think most folks on here want to help out the cause of hunting - it's such a unique privilege that we have - to ensure that others enjoy it like we do so that they might pass it on to the next generation. And most folks on this forum want to invest in others because we would want the same for ourselves too.

I've met some great guys on here that have deeply invested in both myself and even more, my two boys. My boys are obsessed (much like many of you) with hunting, fishing, outdoors - because of the nature of the kindness here.

In particular, one member on this site volunteered to take my son pheasant hunting on the youth opener in 2014 (and has volunteered this for the past 3 years). And then, during each subsequent years, he's gone out of his way to invite us to join him in other adventures...some of which may actually be his honey holes (not sure).  It's been a true blessing for both myself and my boy. Because of this member, both my son and I have a greater appreciation and knowledge of bird hunting, waterfowl hunting, etc.

In the spirit of honor and kindness, when I came upon a new spot to hunt - he was the first person I wanted to invite to join my son and I. It gave me joy to honor him with kindness back. And in doing so, there's a reciprocal sense of gratitude and friendship. Even more, how fun to experience new spots together and find success as friends!

I think that in the hunters code of ethics there should be this written rule that says,

"An ethical hunter shares when another has shared with you. Honor one another, show integrity, be consistent, be kind."

Here's the existing code found on WDFW's website: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/conduct/

A special thank you goes out to all those on this site that have shared your valuable time, thoughts, ideas, and suggestions to a guy who just wants his sons to love the outdoors! You rock!
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
"Honor one another, show integrity, be consistent, be kind."

In other words if/when invited to a hunting spot by someone else, forget that you know it exists unless and until they invite you to go along with them to that spot again. 

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
hunter 399 -
Giving up a road is pretty bad, the newbies will just drive up in there, see where you are parked, and...voila, your spot is spoiled.  The very most I ever give out is the unit, and frankly even that is risky.  "Don't ask, don't tell" seems to be the best policy for me.  Sorry if it sounds selfish, I guess it is.  :sry:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
hunter 399 -
Giving up a road is pretty bad, the newbies will just drive up in there, see where you are parked, and...voila, your spot is spoiled.  The very most I ever give out is the unit, and frankly even that is risky.  "Don't ask, don't tell" seems to be the best policy for me.  Sorry if it sounds selfish, I guess it is.  :sry:

It is not selfish, it is just "what it is, is what it is" and you will meet very few people in your lifetime who you can trust with your best spots. 

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »
Buddy sent me a picture of a chucker sitting on the steps at one of our local Chinese restaurants. True story! I'm not telling you where though cause I plan to take full advantage of a chucker that lives on flat land!
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
Buddy sent me a picture of a chucker sitting on the steps at one of our local Chinese restaurants. True story! I'm not telling you where though cause I plan to take full advantage of a chucker that lives on flat land!

They served it last night in Kung Pao Chukar.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
If you tell one person, they will tell one more, who will then tell many more, etc...   :yike:   :bdid:   :bash:   :bash:    :bash: 

I had invested years into an area, and then went in to the local store to see a picture of a familiar bull hanging on the board.  Asked about it, and was told exactly where it was shot.  Now everyone knows.   :bash: 

People are worse than wolves, and this is from a dedicated wolf hater.  You need to be super careful about who you put on your "Hunting Buddy" list.   :twocents:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
If you tell one person, they will tell one more, who will then tell many more, etc...   :yike:   :bdid:   :bash:   :bash:    :bash: 

I had invested years into an area, and then went in to the local store to see a picture of a familiar bull hanging on the board.  Asked about it, and was told exactly where it was shot.  Now everyone knows.   :bash: 

People are worse than wolves, and this is from a dedicated wolf hater.  You need to be super careful about who you put on your "Hunting Buddy" list.   :twocents:

You can't be too careful. 

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
I brought a buddy's dad and his son-in-law to one of my hunting areas one year. Didn't mind helping them out. The following year I was up on the mountain and came across a few guys, turned out the SIL brought three of four of his buddies up to "my" area. Learned my lesson right there and didn't do it again.

But... I haven't hunted WA since about 2011 and don't mind sharing in the spirit of charity, if you want to find game

46.914842, -122.276497

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »

They served it last night in Kung Pao Chukar.

LOL!   :chuckle:

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »
hunter 399 -

It is not selfish, it is just "what it is, is what it is" and you will meet very few people in your lifetime who you can trust with your best spots.

Along with sharing your favorite spots comes the person who is always willing to go with you but never cough's up any of their spot's.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal