collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bummed out  (Read 2647 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Bummed out
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
I'm starting to get really bummed out.  This is my 1 year old dogs first upland season and I can't find the quail.  Been out 3 times now to my normal 3 spots and even a couple new ones and not a single bird seen.  My dog is getting so bored she starts to bounce around like a deer and chase tweet birds, lol.  She is even pointing at the ghosts of birds past.

But on a good note, it has been a great time to get out with her.  Watching her work, learning her goods and bads as well as her learning my boundaries for her.  It really is a great time all these miles we've done in only a few outings.  I just hope I can get her on some birds soon, to make it all worth while and see how she acts with wild birds.  I hope everyone else is having a good season so far.

This is GG ghost pointing, lol.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:03:08 PM by asmith »
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bummed out
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
My pups first year, she held point on a clump of cattails for over a minute until I could wade up to and ahead of her to kick it out.  I was positive a rooster was ready to explode.  Out popped a tweety bird.  I wanted to congratulate her on a solid point and not creeping, but I couldn't enforce a tweety bird point, lol.

I was seeing some good numbers on the quail this year during my archery opener.  Hopefully, you get into them soon.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »
Not sure what direction you are hunting out of Davenport, but I've noticed the same thing in Lincoln County.  I hunted it twice already and was only able to turn up two coveys of quail and one covey of Huns.  All three of the coveys were small, 4-6 birds.  There obviously was an issue with chick survival.

Edit:  Pretty looking dog you have there.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Birdhunter509

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:14:16 PM »
Man i just hunted Lincoln county and found lots of quail and always do...no huns yet but im sure i will. keep lookin!

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:43:29 AM »
I've been hunting to the west and south of davenport.  I have my normal spots that have produced decent numbers the past several years, but nothing yet.  I'll just keep trying.  Maybe all the deer hunters have kept them pushed back.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »
The last few years my quail honey hole has dried up, not in the same zip code but close enough.  Odd thing is in town there are quail everywhere

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
  Odd thing is in town there are quail everywhere

Nothing odd, they have water, food, and shelter in town!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal