collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New hunter looking for Chukar  (Read 15808 times)

Offline Nemo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New hunter looking for Chukar
« on: October 15, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a relatively new hunter in my second season.  This weekend my dad has asked me to take him out with me and my dogs and I wanted to try something new with him- we haven't had a chance to do Chukar yet.  I am coming from the Sound and have heard there is not-terrible chukar hunting around the Yakima.  Can anyone point me in some really general directions?  As in: Wenas? Oak Creek? I'm not asking for any honey-holes, just wondering which general area we should be looking in.  Of course I would love to run into quail and grouse and even pheasant or waterfowl too if we had a chance but I really thought some chukar might be fun.  We're both in decent shape and can handle a workout. 

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Re: New hunter looking for Chukar
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:30:54 PM »
Look for rimrocks, sagebrush and cheat grass.  Any ridge around Yakima with a combination of these three things will have chukars on it.  Find water and fall green up shoots and you're in business.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline John B

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:36:51 PM »
Pheasant doesn't open for another week, unless you plan on hunting the reservation. That opened today but requires a different license.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 09:39:13 PM »
Ran into a big covey of them up above mud lake this morning.

Offline Nemo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:15:28 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I meant a week from today actually, so I have a little time to make a game plan.  I'm not too familiar with the river area itself, mostly up in the hills shooting duskies and ruffs.  It's a long drive for us anywhere out there and while we don't mind burning boots I'm hoping we can start off somewhere where we at least have a chance rather than ending up in the totally wrong type of country.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »
I haven't been hunting in the Yakima area, but as of late I've been finding most of my birds at the mid level of the ridges.  If you divided a slope into thirds, I've had my best luck in the middle third.  Look for grassy saddles and also in the basins below the saddles.

Edit:  Typically, I will start at the bottom and I will go right up the spine of the main ridge, or else the spine of a side ridge and work up that until I hit the main ridge.  Once on the spine of the ridge, I hunt back and forth (my dog works both sides very well) and make a loop back to the truck.  If I hear birds below me in the cliffs I will work my way down into them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:47:31 AM by JLS »
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I meant a week from today actually, so I have a little time to make a game plan.  I'm not too familiar with the river area itself, mostly up in the hills shooting duskies and ruffs.  It's a long drive for us anywhere out there and while we don't mind burning boots I'm hoping we can start off somewhere where we at least have a chance rather than ending up in the totally wrong type of country.

Amazing that people not willing to put in time and expenses and want handouts :dunno:

Offline Nemo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »

Amazing that people not willing to put in time and expenses and want handouts :dunno:

Thanks for everyone willing to give a hunter a new tip!  Hopefully we'll end up somewhere with some potential, everything so far has been really helpful.

No shortage of haters though! If you look you might see me saying I don't mind putting in effort, but have never hunted this animal, am new to hunting in general, and don't know the terrain or area well.  It's nice to know that some of us are still willing to give each other pointers- otherwise what is a forum like this for except to spend your time trolling and telling people they shouldn't ask for help?  Is your personal public-land honeyhole so rich and prosperous you can't stand to have someone else tell me what kind of vegetation to hike through because that's cheating?  I hardly call that a handout, I call it asking more experienced hunters for some wisdom.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Don't mind the haters.  There are TONS on this site when people ask for help.  Funny enough, if you look through their post histories they asked for help at some point too.  Unfortunately the folks who like to shame people for asking advice are usually pretty vocal.  SMH. 

Anyway, welcome.  Wish I had advice, but I'm new to hunting, struggling to get my feet and not be overcome by frustration too.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
If buy bear paws maps and post them on here to help people not willing to put in time effort and money and never contribute info on here would that be ok?

Would those that criticize my actions be haters?

How about sharing your deer waterfowl and elk spots on here? :dunno:

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »

I've had many good bird and water fowls ruined by trying to help people too lazy to spend the time money for gas

I find the ones that want the handouts usually bring all their friends ruin a spot quickly

If you had any experiencing upland hunting you would realize an area can be ruined quickly by too much  pressure. The clueless come in and shoot every bird they see instead of letting some the females live.

I've been helping folks with hunting homing and fishing a spots 9 years on here Nemo

How many have you helped :dunno:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:38:14 PM by ribka »

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
Because nobody asked you for your spot. And rather than ignore the thread and keep your opinion to yourself, you decided to make a self-righteous and unhelpful comment.  Go back to your post history, you'll see that you've asked for advice before too, right after joining.  How is this any different?

Re-read the question.  They're asking on what types of terrain to look for, not a handout.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 12:38:15 PM »
Also, a new hunter may not know that there are bearpaw maps to buy.  Don't assume.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »

I've had many good bird and water fowls ruined by trying to help people too lazy to spend the time money for gas

I find the ones that want the handouts usually bring all their friends ruin a spot quickly

If you had any experiencing upland hunting you would realize an area can be ruined quickly by too much  pressure. The clueless come in and shoot every bird they see instead of letting some the females live.

I've been helping folks with hunting homing and fishing a spots 9 years on here Nemo

How many have you helped :dunno:

He was given good general information to his first request  but not good enough

What's the problem

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »
how much upland hunting do you do Jenna?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]