collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Little Pathfinder Scores on First Buck- Double Drop Tine 4x4  (Read 27239 times)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Little Pathfinder Scores on First Buck- Double Drop Tine 4x4
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
My youngest son (little Pathfinder) has been watching my older son and I trek into the woods for opening day since he was old enough to talk.  When he was 6 he started asking me when he was old enough to start hunting.  I did what I had done when PathfinderJR had started asking me that question.  I brought home the WDFW Hunter Education manual and told him that when he was old enough to read a chapter and tell me what it says, then he will be ready to hunt.  Last spring he turned 9 years old and he came to me and said that he was ready.  After having him read and explain Chapter One, I started taking him to the range to shoot is brother's hand-me-down Marlin Youth Model .308.  I bought a few boxes of Hornandy SST 125 gr Reduced Recoil rounds and started him on round targets at 100 yards.  I was surprised how well the rounds held their group and soon had him shooting at longer ranges off a rest.
 To make a long story short, he took and passed Hunters Safety 2 weeks ago.  All this summer we have been shooting his youth model .308 and scouting for his upcoming first deer season.  After passing his test, we spent a few more hours out on the rifle range to ensure that he was completely confident with his rifle, checked our trail cameras one more time, and got ready for opening day.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: Little Pathfinder Scores on First Buck- Double Drop Tine 4x4
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »
The day began early with a 4am wake up call, a half hour drive and a 2-plus mile hike, including a steep climb in the dark that took us to the top of the ridge that is our glassing point.  As daylight approached we began looking over every dot and crevice with binoculars and spotting scopes and before long we began to see deer.  The piece we hunt most often is a section of public land that can only be accessed through 3 surrounding farms, so while access is limited, there are usually other hunters on it as well.  Not long after daylight we spotted a herd of deer with a decent 3 point buck tagging along.  As we began the long, looping circle to get downwind of them we noticed a truck and three other hunters park at the edge of the field and start walking in the direction of the same herd from the opposite angle.  We dropped out of sight of the deer and when we reemerged, they were gone.  We saw the other hunters trot over the opposite ridge and heard 4 shots fired.  Disappointed, we sat for a while and waited.  Before long, the 3 hunters walked back to the truck and drove away, so we assumed they missed.  As you can imagine, the little guy was pretty disgusted at this point.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:54:45 PM »
PathfinderJR was about a mile to our west, glassing towards us.  After the disappointment with the first herd, we called him up and asked if he was seeing anything.  He said that he had seen a buck drop into a draw about ¾ of a mile to our south and it hadn’t come out.  We decided to head in that direction and see if we could locate him.
After slowly working our way south and setting up and glassing for an hour and a half, we spotted a pair of does in a deep draw that we couldn’t see the bottom of.  Hoping the buck was in the bottom out of sight, we set up.  I was carrying a set of tripod shooting sticks and I set Little Pathfinder up so that he could shoot from a kneeling position, then we started glassing the draw.  Eventually a couple more does showed themselves and started feeding up the draw towards a saddle that would take them within 240 yards of our position.  As we watched them, I had him look through his scope and asked them if he felt steady.  He said he was a little wobbly, so I took off my coat and put it under the rifle to pad it.  He said that was much better.  After a while I decided that we should get up and move to a location where I could see the bottom of the draw.  As soon as I stood up, I spotted two sets of antlers directly below me in the grass, less than 150 yards away.  We locked eyes and they had me pegged so I sat back down quickly, hoping they would not spook.  They were in grass too tall, with too steep an angle for a shot, and when I peeked through the grass again, they were gone.  Presumably back down into the bottom of the draw. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »
If this story drags on too long, I will consider banning you. This is going to be great.

:yike:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »
 :chuckle:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Molon5labe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
Is this the one I saw on IG this morning?

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »
I knew we had put the deer on alert with my stupid little move, but now we saw activity in the bottom of the draw and saw a herd of does begin up the draw towards the saddle where we were set up for the shot.  As the lead doe appeared on the hill across from us, I ranged her at 328 yards.  A few seconds later 4 does and a buck appeared to take her place.  We had seen this buck on our trail cameras before so I recognized him right away.  We had nicknamed him Garbo because he was always eating garbanzo beans whenever we got pictures of him.  His current route looked like it would take him through the saddle 240 yards away.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
These are the trail cam photos we have on him from last month.  Luckily, I don't think Little Pathfinder was looking at the antlers... 

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »
  Then all the deer stopped.  From their angle, we were silhouetted on top of the hill and they had us spotted.  For the next two minutes we were locked in a stare-down with no one moving and me afraid to breathe.  I knew they were exactly 328 yards from us, and Little Pathfinder's rifle has yardage markings out to 400 yards on the scope.  After a few minutes the deer turned around to head back down into the draw.  Knowing that we were about to lose our opportunity, I asked if he was steady.  He said he was, and I asked him if he could make the shot.  He looked up from his scope at me and nodded.  “Ok, gentle squeeze.” I reminded him. 
I was watching through my spotting scope when the rifle went off.  I saw the impact of the round hit is shoulder and the buck dropped immediately in his tracks.  After watching for a few seconds, I could still see him lying and kicking a little, but not getting up. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:39:12 PM by Pathfinder101 »

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
“Connor.”  I said.  “You just shot Garbo.” 
I probably don’t need to describe the celebration that ensued over the next 30 seconds.  9 years old, first buck, 328 yard shot….  Little Pathfinder doesn't weigh very much, but that tackle-hug nearly knocked me over.  I am sure the whooping scared every deer out of the valley. 
As we made the 300 plus yard walk up to him, I watched and waited to see his reaction when he got his first good look at the 4x4 double drop tine rack.  Speechless he just stood there for a few seconds until I reminded him to touch the eye and check the buck for life.  It took some coaxing to get him to move.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:52:36 AM by Pathfinder101 »

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
After a prayer of thanks, a long photo session and a hands-on, father/son lesson in field dressing (along with big brother who hiked over to help us celebrate), we drug him out to the truck (luckily all downhill), and made a “victory lap” so he could show off his buck to the other deer camps that share our area.  He was still so excited that he could barely tell the story coherently, but that just made the story all that much better to hear. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:53:09 AM by Pathfinder101 »

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »
I don’t have the words to describe how blessed and proud I feel after this weekend.  There are a few events that burn into your memory forever, and I know this will be one of them.  As long as I live, I will never forget the look on his face when he first grabbed and hoisted those antlers and looked at me in awe at what he had just accomplished.  The only word I can think of that sums this up is “humbled”.  I am humbled at what God has given us this weekend. 

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
A few more pics

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
Outstanding!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:03 PM »
Is this the one I saw on IG this morning?
Yes, it probably is.  I posted it Saturday night.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]