collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got drawn for a lion tag.  (Read 15930 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Got drawn for a lion tag.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
Hopefully hound hunters will stick together on this and not take people out that shouldn't be applying.  I will not be offering my dogs up.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »
.i.e means for example. It does not say anywhere you have to use your own dogs. I can be a dog hunter with friends and not own a single dog.

In our state the way the regs are written... if it isn't in there then it's not against the rules. Kinda backwards but that's how they do it.

It says at the end the permit holder must use dogs. It does not say the permit holder must use his own dogs.

Actually i.e. means a point of clarification, not an example.  So, to CLARIFY, the resident dog hunter is someone who owns and hunts with dogs.

Let's not make this something it's not. 
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
.i.e means for example. It does not say anywhere you have to use your own dogs. I can be a dog hunter with friends and not own a single dog.

In our state the way the regs are written... if it isn't in there then it's not against the rules. Kinda backwards but that's how they do it.

It says at the end the permit holder must use dogs. It does not say the permit holder must use his own dogs.

Actually i.e. means a point of clarification, not an example.  So, to CLARIFY, the resident dog hunter is someone who owns and hunts with dogs.

Let's not make this something it's not.

Dang it! I hate it when I'm wrong. I was mixed up between i.e. and e.g.

e.g. is for example
i.e. is clarification meaning (that is)

So I stand corrected.

Don't tell my wife I was wrong, she always tell me I know everything. I choose to take it as a compliment.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »

Personally, out of respect for the guys who put tons of money and time into training their dogs year round, I'd let the actual houndhunters apply and draw. Why would a guy apply and draw and then hope to find a hound guy who will take them to hunt? To me it's like drawing a Blues elk permit after waiting 15-20 years and then not hunting. You could have just left that permit for a guy who would actually hunt.

:yeah:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
The original program required you to get a signed affidavit from a vet that you had dogs that were capable of running cats.  I can't remember if it was part of the application or requirement to get the tag.
It was of course a pain in the butt and often another fee.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
Personally, out of respect for the guys who put tons of money and time into training their dogs year round, I'd let the actual houndhunters apply and draw. Why would a guy apply and draw and then hope to find a hound guy who will take them to hunt? To me it's like drawing a Blues elk permit after waiting 15-20 years and then not hunting. You could have just left that permit for a guy who would actually hunt.
I mostly agree with what you are saying, maybe let the guys with dogs give names of friends who could apply?  I would think guys who run dogs would love to take their friends out.  The more practice the better. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Monsterbull11

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »

Well, I gues I'll withdraw my name because somebody that owns hounds deserves a lion tag over me.
 I certainly didn't ask this to start an argument or to have somebody tell me that I'm not deserving.
Appreciate every bodies time.

Offline Monsterbull11

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
Hopefully hound hunters will stick together on this and not take people out that shouldn't be applying.  I will not be offering my dogs up.

Now that I've sat on this and thought about it a bit, I have a couple more points to this discussion.

First, I don't recall asking anybody on this site for help other than a clarification on the tag. I'm sorry that there's folks that got all butt-hurt over this.
As for my eligibility for the tag, I'll be calling the WDFW first thing Monday morning for all the particulars. If I shouldn't have submitted an app. I'll be more than happy to withdraw my name.
Lastly, you don't know me from Adam and have no idea how I plan on taking care of this tag if it is mine, so I would appreciate you not passing judgement on someone you don't even know?

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
I'll sell you mind until you fill your tag.... :yike:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »

Now that I've sat on this and thought about it a bit, I have a couple more points to this discussion.

First, I don't recall asking anybody on this site for help other than a clarification on the tag. I'm sorry that there's folks that got all butt-hurt over this.
As for my eligibility for the tag, I'll be calling the WDFW first thing Monday morning for all the particulars. If I shouldn't have submitted an app. I'll be more than happy to withdraw my name.
Lastly, you don't know me from Adam and have no idea how I plan on taking care of this tag if it is mine, so I would appreciate you not passing judgement on someone you don't even know?

No offense but I don't see anyone passing judgement on you specifically at all.
Some questions and comments came up from other posts in this thread that were not direct responses to any of your posts aside from the one where you said it would be nice if the email clarified the specifics of the tags.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 04:19:49 PM »
Personally, out of respect for the guys who put tons of money and time into training their dogs year round, I'd let the actual houndhunters apply and draw. Why would a guy apply and draw and then hope to find a hound guy who will take them to hunt?

So out of respect for the guys that are in iron man shape, have ten trail cams out, and scout all year nobody else should apply for the Blues then. They are putting in the time, money and effort that others aren't so they deserve the tags?

If the law is that you have to own and use your own dogs then you shouldn't apply unless you have capable dogs. If not then apply if you think you can find somebody with dogs to help you.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »
Personally, out of respect for the guys who put tons of money and time into training their dogs year round, I'd let the actual houndhunters apply and draw. Why would a guy apply and draw and then hope to find a hound guy who will take them to hunt?

So out of respect for the guys that are in iron man shape, have ten trail cams out, and scout all year nobody else should apply for the Blues then. They are putting in the time, money and effort that others aren't so they deserve the tags?

If the law is that you have to own and use your own dogs then you shouldn't apply unless you have capable dogs. If not then apply if you think you can find somebody with dogs to help you.

That's a laughable comparison.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 05:31:58 PM »
I may be wrong but don't most hound hunters use theit dogs to hunt cats mostly for other people anyways? How many hound hunters don't use their dogs to help other people get cats and only for themselves? As a sportsman I would hope hound hunters wouldn't tell other hunters to go kick rocks...charge a fee for your services and help someone get a cat...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »

Nope. Not what I'm saying at all. The comparison I tried to make was a little sarcastic I'll admit....but what I was getting at is the folks who apply for and draw a permit and then they don't hunt because they don't know what they're getting into or know they won't be able to hunt because they don't have vacation time, or something along those lines yet they still apply, thereby taking permits away from those who can draw and hunt. That's all.  Compare that to a guy who doesn't have or own capable dogs who applies for these lion tags then finds out they can't have the tag because they don't have dogs or can't find someone with dogs willing to take them or whatever the case may be.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 05:39:26 PM »

That's a laughable comparison.

Why? Jack is talking about guys spending time and money so they deserve the lion tag. So wouldn't the guys that spend more time and money deserve the elk tag?

Regards, Branden

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand