collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taneum cow tag  (Read 9295 times)

Offline 09HDWP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Taneum cow tag
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
Just wondering how well you other 2016 Taneum cow tag holders did this last week? It was my daughters first time hunting and we came up empty.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Taneum cow tag
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »
Yup 0 for 3

Offline pawpaw1934

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
0 for 5 in our camp! 

Offline hunter_sean08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »
Not always an easy hunt in the Taneum. Was tough to fill cow tags in the muzzy season too and I put in about 75 miles on the boots over the course of 3 days in some steep, gnarly, but awesome country. Our group went 0-4 but we were on animals and made the best of it. Still had a lot of fun.

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »
0 for 2

My buddy and I spent one solid day there, coming over from the Blues where we were hunting spikes - we figured we'd find a cow or two without much difficulty. We were wrong - 6 guys hunted all day Saturday, pout in a ton of boot miles, and didn't so much as see a single elk. My hunting partner and I, who had the cow tags, found a little fresh sign but didn't see anything. Anyone got any good tag soup or special permit soup recipes? Gonna need one or two...

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
Besides a few scattered local elk most of them where still in late summer regions. We saw elk daily at the 336/346 line. But regardless most antlerless tags in this state are not gimmies.

Offline hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:23:29 PM »
I ate my tag, but I have no one to blame but myself.  I missed a cow at 40'.  We were in elk every day.  You had to be in the steep and deep back country, summer range.  I put in close to 80 miles on my boots in 6 days. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:48:27 AM »
Was back in elk the entire opening weekend. Had a blocked chimney and had to go home and fix that up and never got back up once the tag opened. If it didn't start Wednesday I would have been golden, always next year.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 10:29:36 PM »
0-3...elk we're high. We were on elk every day, just no shots. We could have killed a few big bulls but no cows. Two of the tags were a 10 and 12 year old. They hunted their buts off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »
0-3...elk we're high. We were on elk every day, just no shots. We could have killed a few big bulls but no cows. Two of the tags were a 10 and 12 year old. They hunted their buts off.

i wish I would have remembered you guys had those cow tags. We were in them sat and Sunday. :bash:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Mudball

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »
I was able to fill my cow tag in 342 my son did not, but like most have said it was some tough hunting this year. Just not a lot of animals in the area we hunt this year. But that's why we call it hunting.  :)

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »

i wish I would have remembered you guys had those cow tags. We were in them sat and Sunday. :bash:
No biggee...we were into them all week, just no shots. We were hunting high and they weren't out in the open long before bedding in the am. At night, you just had to get lucky and get on the right opening because they were coming out right as shooting light was ending. Passed on shots because I didn't want to haul a cow out that far.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »

No biggee...we were into them all week, just no shots. We were hunting high and they weren't out in the open long before bedding in the am. At night, you just had to get lucky and get on the right opening because they were coming out right as shooting light was ending. Passed on shots because I didn't want to haul a cow out that far.

No offense, but then why were you there? You could shoot a spike or a cow, similar sized animals most of the time. You clearly weren't hunting for horns, so if you weren't willing to pack a cow out that far, why were you there?

I've heard people say this before many times and I always wonder why you put the time and effort to get somewhere that you had no intention of packing an animal out of. Invest that time in an area you are willing to pack one out of and maybe you'll have better luck?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline tjthebest

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

[/quote]

This is the most backwards thing i have ever heard? Why would you hunt in a spot that you arent even going to shoot an elk?
Camp Wapiti Death!

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
Most the people I hear say they don't want to pack an animal out that far are sitting in their trucks looking on the downhill side lol. I have gotten places and had that thought and turned back before, I can see getting there, deciding i didn't have time to get somewhere else and just waiting to see what happens.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]