collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hooked On Chasing Yotes  (Read 3752 times)

Offline YoungGun9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Hooked On Chasing Yotes
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »
I just got into coyote hunting, after buying an AR-15 and a foxpro shockwave from bearmanric. I took my first few stands this weekend and was able to call in 4 different coyotes. Since I am still learning predator hunting, I have just being using all my archery deer and elk tactics (always checking the wind, keeping the sun at my back and finding good vantage points where i don't skyline) to try and put one down.

What I was so shocked about hunting coyotes in the columbia basin, was how quick they would run into the call and decoy before me seeing them. My average stand is about 30 minutes, and each time I have one rush in on the decoy within 5 minutes. My problem is that the tall sage I am hunting makes it hard to find them before they are right on top of me and running away after noticing the decoy is fake. I yipped at one, like I have seen people do on youtube. It stopped him but I had buck fever and pulled my shot.

I was wondering if anyone of you coyote experts have any pointers for me. I recently have been sitting about 30 yards from the decoy, with my AR in my hands and my shotgun across my lap. Since they end up near me so quickly. I also have been using the rodent distress, because it has been working and I figured the rabbit distress is over called in the area.

I am curious to how long everyone lets the call play before pausing it for 5 minutes or so, or if you all just let it play the whole time your one stand? Also if you find coyotes in one spot every time, how long do you let the area rest (not be calling it and hunting them there) before going back to try and hunt them again?

Even though I haven't got one yet, I am sure hooked! Let me know if there is anything that I can do to get a little better at this.

Thanks Mark

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Hooked On Chasing Yotes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
Get a bipod or shooting sticks it will increase your success.
"I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss"

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
Tagging along! :)

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »
Higher ground

Offline fast1

• Team: Dog Scat
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • one shot,make it count!
  • Groups: rmef,nra,nwtra,nwma,wspa.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
There have been alot of different write ups on tactics. Scroll back threw the different pages on this forum as well as Predator Masters. Grab a couple FoxPro videos or good old Randy Anderson. It sounds like your on the right track. If one sounds not working don't be afraid to mix it up. Your call has "fusion" on it. Learn to use it. As far as how long to play the sound? You feel it more then anything. I've had dogs come in with continues as well as 30se ones on and 2minutes off. In thick under brush, think archery. 30yds is a long shot in tall sage. Lay the AR across your lap with the 12 up to your shoulder. Any shot you get will be close range and fast. Some stands I will hit 4-5 times a year,others only for contests. Hunting dogs is like marriage, you will spend alot of years learning how to do it just right then bam,you're doin it all wrong!lol The most important thing,have fun with it,pass on what you can. The most you will ever learn is by getting mud on your boots. Not every dog will drop,but there's no reason why every hunt can't be a success! Keep the sun to ur back and the wind in your face. People tracks dosnt mean it's over hunted,dogs move alot,do the same. Good luck and have fun!
Take'em boys!

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »
make sure you can always see your caller. use the topo of the land shooting from hill to hill, or up /down. I sometimes "bark" at coyotes to try to stop them for a shot, if they stop you have 1 second. do not miss.
sometimes if you see them coming shut off the caller, sometimes they will slow down or even stop.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
Sounds like you are on the right track....

Couple things I'd change just by reading your post. 

1)  Distance from call...
For me, this changes from stand to stand.  Sometimes I'll feel the need to lay in almost in my lap as I don't want to cause too much movement setting it up.  But in the perfect world, I've often sat over 100 yards from my caller (far enough to where you aren't sure its playing)   I like to be downwind of it and not in line with the wind.  Many dogs will come in down wind and you seem to get away with it more if they only can smell your ecaller vs you.

2)  Set up
It's been mentioned before but hiring a guide for a day or two like Jerry Malbeck could teach you things about stand set up (and virtually everything else) that may take you years and years to learn the hard way.  It's something I'd consider...
That being said, I think the biggest single thing for success is set up.  Wind, sun, reading where they are coming from, getting in close enough without them knowing you did etc....  Hunt with a buddy facing a total different direction and you'll see real quickly how many coyotes come in that you never may have seen.

3)Keep having fun!
I haven't gone the shotgun route but keep thinking about ways to do it with my bow.  I just can never seem to draw without it being over.  I've kept working to make it fun and for everyone it's different.  I'm going away from the ecallers and sticking to hand calls.  (for now :) ) but now is a great time to be out there......I whacked 3 yesterday!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Ballance1

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • The Shed Taxidermy Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »
Try and not educate the dog.  If I can't make the shot I will pass and let live for another day. 

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »
Try and not educate the dog

:yeah:

You'll think you're a way better caller now then in 60 days  :chuckle:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:30 PM »
Hey thanks for the tips everyone! I went out this weekend and hunted a full day and had no luck. I only saw old tracks and really old poop, so I am guessing there wasn't much in the area. I am giving it another go this weekend and hoping for some action.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
That comment sure wasn't called for.  Everyone misses now and then.

YoungGun ignore that c--p and have fun.   I've been calling and trapping for nearly 60 years and still think calling  coyotes is a rush.  I hunt them in 3-5 states every year.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
Mark, Time on the stand is the best way to learn what works for YOU.If your calling tight areas limit yourself to just the shot gun, I never take two guns to a stand :bdid:. A lot of my friends do but for me it is just one more way to screw up a successful stand especially early on while your learning.I have always used a rifle, for all ranges.Once you get your mojo working you can get fancy with the two gun thing.When you are calling thick cover you have to have shooting lanes, You must be able to see a coyote coming in to kill it .Position yourself and your caller so no matter what you will have open areas that the coyote coming in will have to pass thru to get to the sound, Either that or arm yourself with the shot gun and place to caller very close to you and be ready.In thick cover a decoy is not much help, A coyote must be able to see a decoy for it to be effective. I only use a decoy in open areas to help aid me to pull a coyote across open ground to my stand.I could go on and on, As said time on stand is the best way to learn unless you can find a seasoned caller to take you under the wing and show you how its done. Keep after it .  :tup:

Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter