collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk shoulder mount options  (Read 20071 times)

Offline swizzler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Elk shoulder mount options
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:42:54 AM »
I recently harvested my first archery rosey bull, he is worthy of hanging on my wall, but I am limited on space. I have been looking on web trying to find pics of diff head/shoulder mounts that may work in my home. Curious if anyone has pics or knows where I might view pics of a variety of diff mounts.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Elk shoulder mount options
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:47:07 AM »
do you have pic's of this rosey bull??
and a story?
that'd be awesome...i'll trade ya  ;)
post it in the elk forum.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »
hit michelle nelson up on here and see what she's got. she's our local pro taxi.

http://freewebs.com/mntaxidermy/index.htm

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
swizzler,

Their is a lot of different ways to have an Elk mounted.  Pedestals or wall mounts.  Elk are a big critter so either way they are going to take up space.  First off do you know exactly where you want the elk in your house? 

:dunno: Are you only interested in a wall mount or are you open to a pedestal.  How high are your ceilings?  Their are a lot of options.  Even if you don't see a form that is exactly the way you want it one can be modified.  Another thing to remember when it comes to mounting an elk is "ANTLER CLEARANCE".  You want to make sure antlers will clear things around it.  Especially if you are going to do a wall mount. 

Are their any other specific questions that you have?

I couldn't find any of the pictures?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:40:33 PM by Michelle_Nelson »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
measurementw would be good as well.....such as measurements of the cape so that we can give you some form options.  Also, measurements of your antelrs for wall clearance.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »
Bone,

Antler measurments are probably not going to help us figgure out his antler clearance.  We bon't know how the antlers set on the head or how they set on the form.  We don't know the tilt of the antlers.  Do you know what I am trying to say?  Having a hard time trying to explain it.  :)

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:09:35 PM »
Hey Swizzler, here is a picture of a mount I did that would look good on your bull.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
most specifically the width.  If the form has a clearance of 26 inches from the center of head, from the wall, the average width of th antelrs better not be greatter than 52 or so if you know what I mean.  That is with a radical turn.  Another option would be tip of antlers to center of skull so that you clear the wall with a more straight on approach.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »
I just looked at the pics of the bull he killed and it looks like its around 42 - 45 wide. It should work with most turns, even the 90's. That bull looks like at least a 12 1/2 x 32 in cape.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »
Swizzler, I have a picture of a pivot pedestal that you can look at a couple of posts down if you want to see what that looks like. Its the picture of the big velvet bull. That form pivots in a pipe so you can turn it how you want on the base. Ive done a few of those mounts. Its a joe coombs form where the other bull mount I put in this post is a reaserch 45 degree bugling ( flemming) pose. Hope those pics help you make a decision. Your taxidermist will be able to figure out which forms they are by that info I gave you. Oh , by the way, DANDY BULL!!!!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 07:30:34 PM »
HOLY MOLY...Now that is a bull elk....or its a replica of a prehistoric monster. :o

Awesome mount as well.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 07:42:18 PM »
Thanks! yeah thats a pig of a bull. Wish I killed it!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »
Is that on this form

I had thought about doing mine with that, but not sure I want to do the whole open mouth thing.  This was the form I was thinking aobut using as a wall mount.

My bull has incredible fronts and not the best backs.  I was trying to find a form that would show that off.  Any thoughts?

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 08:05:04 PM »
Yeah, thats the form I used on the 388 bull. The form you are thinking about using I think , is more for a bull that you want to show off from the side. I believe thats a 90 degree form isnt it? I had a customer that just picked up a bull that wanted a 90 but His horns were all fronts, the backs were super weak. I ended up using the full sneak from research. Thats a good form to use for showing off width and fronts. I dont think I got a good picture though.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 08:14:24 PM »
 OOPS, I wasnt finished yet. I think you would want a form that is going to look at you from the wall to show off the fronts, But in reality its what you think looks good. Its nice to have some forms so you can mock up your bull to see what you really want. You can always cut and modify to give it the look you want. The 388 bull on the bugling mount I actually cut and modified to give it the look I wanted. A little more turn and a little tilt. Wish you could see it in person, pics dont do it justice. You do your own mounts dont you? If you were closer I'd help you do something cool with your form. I enjoy modifying forms. It gives it your own personal touch so you can see the horns exactly how you want them.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal