collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thinking about Wyoming Antelope  (Read 10936 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Thinking about Wyoming Antelope
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
Been thinking  more and more about hunting Antelope , but have no idea where/ how to start. Do you need to apply for points like here or is there otc buck tags available ? What about units are they all huntable or are some draw/landowner only ? Trophy potentially isn't important to me ( yet ) just want to have a good time .
 What about deer tags how do they work otc or points ?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Re: Thinking about Wyoming Antelope
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »
Wyoming Fish & Game website has great info and it is SO much easier to find than WA.   :twocents:

You will find the units to the West are much harder to draw. They take around 6 points to draw. My brother is a resident and he even has trouble drawing the SW units. Some may only give out 5 nonresident tags.
The middle states can be drawn with a couple points and the Eastern side can be drawn with zero points.  Many units will have leftover tags

Most landowners will charge a small fee for bucks, but may allow you to hunt free for does. 

You can email/call the local DFW biologist for good starting points also. 

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:28:51 PM by Widgeondeke »

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »
It's real easy to buy Wyoming points. You don't even have to go thru the application process like most states. During the summer months until normally October 31st, they offer a points only option. 50$ elk, 40$ deer, and 30$ for goat.

There is typically leftover tags for does but are in difficult land access areas.

Like said above, most good units take about 6-7 points to draw. Start building points at least and research the unit that appeals to you most.

Wyoming antelope hunting is a blast!

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
So Eastern part of the state is a better option if I want to go next year ?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
Eastern part of the state is pretty hard on access, but doesn't seem impossible. I am headed there next year to give it a go.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Check out the leftover tags.  We have hunted there for a couple years and fill every leftover tag we have gotten.  In units that have tough access, it will be harder to find open ground to hunt, but still possible.  I would STRONLY recommend getting the onX map card to know ownership.

It's easier than you think.  PM me if you want more info

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »
Check out the leftover tags.  We have hunted there for a couple years and fill every leftover tag we have gotten.  In units that have tough access, it will be harder to find open ground to hunt, but still possible.  I would STRONLY recommend getting the onX map card to know ownership.
:yeah:

I've hunted units with leftover licenses that had little public land, and always filled the licenses. You must have a GPS with land ownership, and also check out the Walk In Areas and Hunter Management Areas which can provide access to private land.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
 :yeah: Here is a map of the hma's for you. If you are going to hunt a unit that offers one you will have to apply. Some are limited number of permission slips others are unlimited.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/frmHunterManagementHome.aspx
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »
We got permission to hunt on 3 of the 5 ranches we stopped at this year and asked, all in NE WY. We are going to collect next year on these and hopefully have even more land to hunt on next year! Cost, was one bottle of whiskey! Very nice people, just have to find those that are not booked up, it helps to not ask on deer opener. That's where most of these people make their cash.
Also use the GPS hunt chip, its a life saver!

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
I'm planning on heading there next year also. I've never been, but I bought a point this summer. I'm really torn on what units I should apply for. There's positive and negative feedback on most of the units I think I can draw. Any help from you guys that have been there would be great!
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
I'm planning on heading there next year also. I've never been, but I bought a point this summer. I'm really torn on what units I should apply for. There's positive and negative feedback on most of the units I think I can draw. Any help from you guys that have been there would be great!

Generally speaking, which part of the State are you looking at?  Hard to give feedback without narrowing it down somewhat.  Those of us that hunt over there regularly focus on different areas.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »

Generally speaking, which part of the State are you looking at?  Hard to give feedback without narrowing it down somewhat.  Those of us that hunt over there regularly focus on different areas.
I was thinking about applying for 73 1st, 27 2nd, and 7 3rd. Do you think that's a good plan with 2 points, or could I do better. Thanks again for your help.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »

I was thinking about applying for 73 1st, 27 2nd, and 7 3rd. Do you think that's a good plan with 2 points, or could I do better. Thanks again for your help.
You're unlikely to draw 73 type 1 with 2 points (based on 2016 results you would have no chance.) You would have needed 5 to be assured of drawing this year. Check here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2016-Drawing-Odds

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 06:53:52 AM »

You're unlikely to draw 73 type 1 with 2 points (based on 2016 results you would have no chance.) You would have needed 5 to be assured of drawing this year. Check here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2016-Drawing-Odds
I figured I'd shoot for the stars and hope I get 73. Do you think 27 and 7 are good second and third choices. I know I'll draw 7, no problem. But are there better options for me. I've never been there so I'm going into this as blind as a bat. Thanks
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »
Do you have 1 point or 2? You said you bought a point this year, so sounds to me like you only have 1? Looks like for 73 you need at least 4 points and 27 you need at least 3.

Area 7 is the only one of those that can be drawn with 1 point. So if you really want to hunt in 2017, you should apply for area 7 as your number one choice. You may end up not drawing 7 if you don't have it as your first choice.

You could take a chance and put in for 7 as a second choice and one of the others as your first choice. But the odds of drawing 27 or 73 would be very low if not impossible.

For second and third choices you should only choose units that had leftover tags last year. Like many of the units in NE Wyoming.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]