collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thinking about Wyoming Antelope  (Read 10932 times)

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Thinking about Wyoming Antelope
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 09:34:37 AM »
Do you have 1 point or 2? You said you bought a point this year, so sounds to me like you only have 1? Looks like for 73 you need at least 4 points and 27 you need at least 3.

Area 7 is the only one of those that can be drawn with 1 point. So if you really want to hunt in 2017, you should apply for area 7 as your number one choice. You may end up not drawing 7 if you don't have it as your first choice.

You could take a chance and put in for 7 as a second choice and one of the others as your first choice. But the odds of drawing 27 or 73 would be very low if not impossible.

For second and third choices you should only choose units that had leftover tags last year. Like many of the units in NE Wyoming.
I bought a point last year and figured if I applied this year it would give me 2. Im probably wrong assuming that. But if I did special draw for 27 I think I might have a chance :dunno:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »
Do you have 1 point or 2? You said you bought a point this year, so sounds to me like you only have 1? Looks like for 73 you need at least 4 points and 27 you need at least 3.

Area 7 is the only one of those that can be drawn with 1 point. So if you really want to hunt in 2017, you should apply for area 7 as your number one choice. You may end up not drawing 7 if you don't have it as your first choice.

You could take a chance and put in for 7 as a second choice and one of the others as your first choice. But the odds of drawing 27 or 73 would be very low if not impossible.

For second and third choices you should only choose units that had leftover tags last year. Like many of the units in NE Wyoming.
I bought a point last year and figured if I applied this year it would give me 2. Im probably wrong assuming that. But if I did special draw for 27 I think I might have a chance :dunno:

It's different than Washington in that you don't get the point until after the drawing is done. So yes you would gain another point in 2017 but it would be after you are unsuccessful in drawing your first choice, and therefore you wouldn't have 2 points in the draw until 2018.

But you're right, if you're willing to spend the extra money for the special draw you would most likely draw 27 with your 1 point, but only if you have it as your first choice.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »
Copy that. Thanks for the input :tup:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
I've hunted in three different units over there, and didn't really know anything about any of them beforehand.  The factors I considered in applying for a unit were pretty basic, but it has worked out well so far:  (i) how many tags are given out and what is the harvest % on bucks, (ii) how much BLM land (or other public land, but NOT national forest) is available and is it generally in big chunks (good) or broken up (bad, can be landlocked), and (iii) can I draw it with the number of points I have?

I took a look at 73 (never been there), and it looks great on the first two prongs (lots of tags, very high buck harvest %, and lots of big BLM chunks)but not so good on the last one.  Looks like you need at least 2 points in the special draw. 

You've probably looked at the Hunt Planner Interactive Map already, but that's a very quick way to see how much BLM land (yellow) is available in a given unit.  https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map

If you look hard enough, there are some units that satisfy all three prongs, assuming you're willing to pay for the special draw.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I've checked out almost everything I can. I'm still torn on what I should apply for. I'm not going to get a chance to do this for another 6 years. I sure hope I pick right. Any last minute info would be great. Thanks again for everything. Less than a month for apps!!! :tup: :dunno:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
Application deadline is June 1st.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
I've hunted in three different units over there, and didn't really know anything about any of them beforehand.  The factors I considered in applying for a unit were pretty basic, but it has worked out well so far:  (i) how many tags are given out and what is the harvest % on bucks, (ii) how much BLM land (or other public land, but NOT national forest) is available and is it generally in big chunks (good) or broken up (bad, can be landlocked), and (iii) can I draw it with the number of points I have?

I took a look at 73 (never been there), and it looks great on the first two prongs (lots of tags, very high buck harvest %, and lots of big BLM chunks)but not so good on the last one.  Looks like you need at least 2 points in the special draw. 

You've probably looked at the Hunt Planner Interactive Map already, but that's a very quick way to see how much BLM land (yellow) is available in a given unit.  https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map

If you look hard enough, there are some units that satisfy all three prongs, assuming you're willing to pay for the special draw.
I’ve hunted 73 many times, and it is a great unit. Ten years ago you could draw with one point, and get four leftover doe/fawn licenses to boot every year. It takes around four to five points now unless you pay more for the special category. I plan to hunt 73 next year myself.

Unless Wyoming is a “one and done” state, my advice for first-time hunters is to find a unit that typically has leftover doe/fawn licenses and some public land, and hunt that unit the first year. You can get four doe/fawn licenses for $34 each. The does are just as challenging to hunt, the meat is superb, and you’ll learn enough to allow you to apply the next year with more knowledge. It takes several years to draw an “any antelope” license in the more desirable units, so plan on hunting doe/fawns during the off years.

The last few years I’ve hunted units I never hunted before as I built up points in 73. I bought leftover doe/fawn licenses in July and had a great time filling them. On average it took me about one day per license because I wasn’t familiar with the units. If I were to go back to those units I’m pretty sure I could fill four in one day now, if I wanted to.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »

I’ve hunted 73 many times, and it is a great unit. Ten years ago you could draw with one point, and get four leftover doe/fawn licenses to boot every year. It takes around four to five points now unless you pay more for the special category. I plan to hunt 73 next year myself.

Unless Wyoming is a “one and done” state, my advice for first-time hunters is to find a unit that typically has leftover doe/fawn licenses and some public land, and hunt that unit the first year. You can get four doe/fawn licenses for $34 each. The does are just as challenging to hunt, the meat is superb, and you’ll learn enough to allow you to apply the next year with more knowledge. It takes several years to draw an “any antelope” license in the more desirable units, so plan on hunting doe/fawns during the off years.

The last few years I’ve hunted units I never hunted before as I built up points in 73. I bought leftover doe/fawn licenses in July and had a great time filling them. On average it took me about one day per license because I wasn’t familiar with the units. If I were to go back to those units I’m pretty sure I could fill four in one day now, if I wanted to.

How do you know if they had leftover licenses the year prior?  Using 73 as an example, it looks as if the quota for type 6 licenses was 600, but only 73 hunters on their harvest report, does that mean that there are generally leftover tags available? 

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
Click on the Drawing Odds tab of the Hunt Planner.

You might be looking at the resident draw for 73-6.  For non-residents, appears the quota was 50 and total applicants were over 500.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Area-73

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »

Took your words to heart and did a lot more research. Finally found what I was looking for and applied yesterday. Thanks everyone for the info. I'm hoping for a memorable hunt!
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »
Good luck!

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »
Lots of good information.  :tup:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]