collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: getting into predator hunting  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
getting into predator hunting
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »
So I am still figuring out the finer points of the search function (thanks to several members on here for giving me some pointers) so forgive me if this has been asked already but I would like to get into predator hunting and have no idea where to start.

I have seen coyotes, bobcats and cougars in the woods fairly regularly (mostly the coyotes) near where I deer hunt. Its a property my dad owns that butts up to the national forest. I routinely get pictures of them and bears on the cam that hangs under my tree stand. I was thinking if I leave the stand up once it starts snowing I could use it to call from and see what I can pull in.

That is where my expertise ends. I don't know what kind of calls to use, how long to wait between calling, how loud to call, how long to wait before deciding no animals are coming, etc, etc. I figure most of this is going to have to come from failing, failing, and failing some more but if anyone has any advice, a helpful book they have come across or anything of the sort to help I would appreciate it. I don't know if this is something I can dedicate a ton of time to but I am usually up at my dad's a handful of times during fall and winter and even if its just a few hours while my son and wife are napping or before they wake up in the morning its a good way to spend a little time.

My last question is how similar is tanning the hide of a coyote or other predator to tanning a deer hide? I have tanned most of the deer hides I have ever been around for the harvest of and am pretty familiar with the process so my thought was to do it myself and keep the hides but I have only ever done deer before. I have heard some animals like raccoon and beaver require some additional work/steps but I just kind of got the tan at home kits and experimented with them to figure out deer. I am pretty rough at using the internet or computer so books work best for me but any resource you think might be helpful I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
Re: getting into predator hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »
do  some searches on old posts
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »
you tube will be your friend
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jjaba

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »
For calling what type of calls do you plan on using Hand calls vs electronic.

when calling i use the old thought of if you feel you have called enough wait another 10 minutes searching to see if you see movement.  then wait some more. 

i usually sit at a stand for at least 40 minutes before moving... some people will say less some more. 

The best thing is get out and try get a call google how to use it and then get out there.  I learn everytime i go out either what i did right or lets not do that again.

good luck
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Pheasants Forever NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:55:43 PM »
I believe that the most important detail is approaching your stand.  I have noticed that if I have to walk across flat, open ground for a distance, I usually don't get results.  I try to park my pickup out of sight, and approach up a gully, or behind a ridge.  Of course, you also have to head into the wind, and be quiet.  It takes some thought to get all of these conditions correct, but if that coyote sees you, hears you, or smells you, he will stay away.  I think the call itself is less important. but it does require realism. I favor mouth calls over electronics....I have had a higher success with them.

When you leave your vehicle, you need to use the same care that you would if you were absolutely certain that there was a coyote out there....because there is!  This holds true for hunting ANYTHING.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »
wolftrapper has made one excellent post.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I'm hoping to give it a go beginning of December. I have a 220 swift and a 308, I am assuming the swift is the better option?

Offline fast1

• Team: Dog Scat
  • Scout
  • one shot,make it count!
  • Groups: rmef,nra,nwtra,nwma,wspa.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 11:02:15 AM »
The 220 is definitely more fur friendly if your going after furs. If your doing control what ever you have with you at the time to make a clean kill.
Take'em boys!

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »
I am also thinking I may need to get an electronic call if I am planning on doing some of it from a tree stand? Having the noise coming from twelve feet up a tree is probably a red flag for them?

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »
If you're seeing them on the camera, why not just be there well before they normally pass through and take them that way?
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
It's more of an every few days one wanders by the camera thing. I can't pattern them from the camera but I know they're around so I figure calling would probably work best.

Plus we are usually on a family getaway when we are at my dad's place and I have been reminded several times this bow season already that spending time in a tree is not a family activity lol.

Offline elkslayer99

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
You need a buddy tree stand :tup:!
When you talk, you only learn what you know. when you listen, you learn what others know.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]