collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rabbits multiple over night .  (Read 15884 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Rabbits multiple over night .
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
 So last Thursday I caught a rabbit at work , and brought it home for my daughter's. Built it a nice hutch this weekend . While laying in bed this morning Wife and I hear our oldest tell the youngest " OMG Mr. Bigelsworth had babies " . Sure enough we now have 4 rabbits ( not sure if she's done yet ). What do they need ?
Thanks
Here's the culprit not even sure what kind it is.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:01:58 AM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Rabbits multiple over night .
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »
Nesting box
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
They need a nest box for warmth. That's about it. Looks like a cinnamon.
 Did she pull fur? Are there big piles of underbelly fur there? The box should be full of Timothy or other orchard grass type hay for insulation. Not straw. If the fur is there, save that for them and stuff it in the box. . You're going to want to edit Mr. Bigelsworth's name. Just tossing that out there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:07:42 AM »
Mr. Biglesworth...LOL :chuckle:
Watch them be some jackrabbit hybrid babies! Mr. Biglesworth is a ho. Well looks like the small family farms is a growing, don't you just love animals and young kids.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
I built these boxes last weekend for reference. You can go to tractor supply or a co-op and buy one too. Make sure it's big enough. That's a big rabbit.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
I'm rabbit stupid, does the doe come and go from the box. Much like a.chicken uses laying boxes?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »
Ya. Usually they'll nurse once a day. Usually at night when nobody is around. Just like wild rabbits, they don't want to show where their nest is. (Even though it's obvious) Babies need very little. A nursing a day and warmth and that's about it. Make sure their bellies are fat and round so you know they're getting fed.
Hopefully those babies are in some sort of nest by now. They won't live long exposed. They use the nest and each other's body heat to keep warm.

PS that cinnamon doe could be a great source of protein for your family if you're into that sort of thing. Babies grow out fast and fat. Get a buck and have at it.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »
They need a nest box for warmth. That's about it. Looks like a cinnamon.
 Did she pull fur? Are there big piles of underbelly fur there? The box should be full of Timothy or other orchard grass type hay for insulation. Not straw. If the fur is there, save that for them and stuff it in the box. . You're going to want to edit Mr. Bigelsworth's name. Just tossing that out there.
Yeah there's fur around the pen.  The pen is built into two parts. One side is the wire floor / food area , the other is a walled off 9"×18" with plywood floor lined with cedar chips.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »
Gotta get the cedar out of there. Cedar is a no-no for rabbits. Nest box is just a little bigger than the rabbit itself.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
That box might work ok. Stuff it full of Timothy hay. Let the doe make her own nest. She'll move what she doesn't want.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
OK got the cedar out and filled the box with hay. Not sure if she's going to let them live. Ran to town to get the hay and when I got home she threw two of them in the food area. Warmed them back up and put them back in the box with the mom and other baby. Moved the whole hutch/ pen into my shop since it's supposed to get cold here the next week.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
Well. An actual nest box or some sort of containment might be in order. They should be wiggling around at least a little bit. Maybe they got there on their own? 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »
You could put a metal pan or something in there to keep them contained so they can't wiggle around. They need to sort of be able to find each other so they can huddle together for warmth. They'll eventually figure it out but until they do that's what the smaller box does.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
I built a small wall to keep them in a more secure location inside the bigger box. I watched the mom scoot the two out of the box into the feed area. Right now everything seems to be OK.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
10-4

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter