collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best rain gear for Western WA Elk and Deer  (Read 17594 times)

Offline AKBowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Best rain gear for Western WA Elk and Deer
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on the best raingear currently available on the market? I'd want it mostly for hunting archery elk early and late season (Western WA) and for alpine/back country.

What brands does everyone like and why?
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
Re: Best rain gear for Western WA Elk and Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »
When I'm at work I wear Grundens, but they're bulky and you'll sweat. Gage make some good work wear too with liners for comfort. Usually though I just wear my old military Goretex. They make some noise, but if it's raining hard enough to wear rain gear it probably doesn't matter. I've been wearing it for years. Look up some surplus stuff it's like 1/3 what guys are paying for fancy name brand stuff.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
I'm considering switching to the cheaper Gander Mountain stuff that I have for day hunts.  I used it for a week this year since everything else I have started leaking due to a few too many trips through thorns.  Fleece outer is dead quite, and I dont destroy my high end stuff that I rely on in the backcountry.

With that said Ill probably be replacing my old leaking rain gear with First Lite.  I own a few of their other pieces and really like them.  Have heard good things about the rain gear.

They make some noise, but if it's raining hard enough to wear rain gear it probably doesn't matter.
I dont really agree with that ... in a few ways.  Your going to get wet in a prolonged light rain.  Its also frequently on/off rain all day.  So your either going to be making noise or constantly changing in and out of rain gear every 15-30 minutes.  Yes if its raining hard it usually doesn't matter but that's usually not the case.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:32:29 PM »
I'm considering switching to the cheaper Gander Mountain stuff that I have for day hunts.  I used it for a week this year since everything else I have started leaking due to a few too many trips through thorns.  Fleece outer is dead quite, and I dont destroy my high end stuff that I rely on in the backcountry.

With that said Ill probably be replacing my old leaking rain gear with First Lite.  I own a few of their other pieces and really like them.  Have heard good things about the rain gear.

They make some noise, but if it's raining hard enough to wear rain gear it probably doesn't matter.
I dont really agree with that ... in a few ways.  Your going to get wet in a prolonged light rain.  Its also frequently on/off rain all day.  So your either going to be making noise or constantly changing in and out of rain gear every 15-30 minutes.  Yes if its raining hard it usually doesn't matter but that's usually not the case.
I see what you're saying. When it's a light rain like you are saying I have a heavy wool shirt thing my wife made me. It gets heavy though. I guess it depends on what kind of hunting you are doing too.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
Get Kuiu Chugach  Done ! 

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »

I see what you're saying. When it's a light rain like you are saying I have a heavy wool shirt thing my wife made me. It gets heavy though. I guess it depends on what kind of hunting you are doing too.
Yeah that's very true.  I do a lot of backpack hunting and dawn to dusk day hunts a good distance from the vehicle so I like to keep my layers as dry as possible.

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 12:43:41 AM »
I have a suit of ECWCS that I wear.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
I have Under Armor gore tex.  Only thing that would make me happier with it is pit zips.  I'm bone dry unless i hike a lot and sweat.  Yesterday my buddy and i hiked a few miles.  I don't recommend doing that in gore tex but the bad thing is we were under trees dripping snow and there was a rain/snow mix the whole time.  So no real choice. 

I've used it a lot this late season though.  In wind rain and snow.  Gore tex is the way to go imo.  It sweats a little onto your inner layer but i'd prefer that over the alternative.  Bad thing is $450 for pants and jacket.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
Helly Hanson Impertech stuff is awesome!!
For backcountry lightweight rain gear, I've been using the Kuiu Teton rain gear.. Crazy light weight, keeps me dry, but probably not the most durable if hiking through heavy brush or stickers..

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
I have been using the same Arc'Teryx for years without any problems.  Light and durable and I can count on it to always be waterproof.  I have the Theta SL jacket and the name of the pants begins with a Z I think?  But they're about a pound each.  Expensive off the shelf but can be had for good sale prices or at the Tulalip outlet.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
kuiu Yukon, rocks.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
Thanks all. I've been looking at the Kuiu Chugach line. Expensive and a bit heavier than some of their lighter lines but double the breathability raiting of even last years Kuiu Chugach line.

I like the idea of it being a little heavier so it holds up on sticker brush. That and I can just pack a couple different weights of layering then throw the Chugach rain gear over the top and that is all I would need for an entire system.

Do any Kuiu Chugach wearers have experience wearing them on tough brushy hunts?
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:29 PM »
With gaiters Ive never had a problem with Chugach.   Ive worn outside gaiters many days without issue also. 
If you are going thru heavy brush a lot no goretex item will stay dry - abrasion defeats goretex water repelancy.

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »
Thanks all. I've been looking at the Kuiu Chugach line. Expensive and a bit heavier than some of their lighter lines but double the breathability raiting of even last years Kuiu Chugach line.

I like the idea of it being a little heavier so it holds up on sticker brush. That and I can just pack a couple different weights of layering then throw the Chugach rain gear over the top and that is all I would need for an entire system.

Do any Kuiu Chugach wearers have experience wearing them on tough brushy hunts?

My Chugach rain gear is 4 years old now, and its still awesome. I use it from September backpack hunts, to November Blacktail hunts. I got it covered in blood this year packing out an elk. Threw it in the wash, came out like new.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline Harbor_hunter

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 11:12:44 AM »
I think the Chugach is a good compromise between packable raingear and heavier duty rain gear.  I have a Chugach jacket and  it seems to be pretty durable so far in the two years I have had it.  As far as repelling water it works really well, better than other rain gear I have had that is not rubber.  The coat finally met its match last weekend as I was out of the truck all day, and was in some pretty nasty rain.   The water had soaked through, but in those conditions I don't think any rain gear is going to keep you 100% dry.  This performed as good or better than any other high end brand would have I am assuming.  Proper layering helped keep me comfortable.  I would give the Chugach stuff a  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]