collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Senator Asking For Washington Hunter, Angler Input On Fee Increases  (Read 37087 times)

Offline olyguy79

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Senator Asking For Washington Hunter, Angler Input On Fee Increases
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
Please don't shoot the messenger...

I was very recently just at a legislative meeting and one of the topics was funding WDFW. Two republican legislators argued that WDFW should receive zero general fund (tax) funding and sportsmen should be the biggest funding source in terms of state dollars. Basically meaning WDFW would be funded by sportsmen, the Feds (which currently contribute a big portion) and other local sources. They're mindset is fish and wildlife is not a critical govt service such as public safety and education and thus the users should support it more.

Regarding endangered species funding. Some of you have mentioned looking at other states. Well Idaho for example receives zero tax dollar funding, who do you think funds endangered species funding in Idaho?? Sportsmen thru license fees, and the Feds.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Furthermore, you have a statewide Prosecution that almost refuses to prosecute wildlife crimes and sitting judges that when prosecuted and found guilty provide a slap on the wrist.  It is hard to get behind a state that wants more money, but refuses to protect their resources, and enforce their own policies. 

Is there a way to apply pressure to County Prosecution to get enforcement and cost recovery up for those that violate the laws in poaching, trespass, etc? Compare to other states that have a rigid formula for fish and wildlife violators.   
These are county issues, not state. Realistically it is up to each county prosecutors discretion to file charges in each case. That's not something that WDFW or the legislature can fix.

Offline olyguy79

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
Furthermore, you have a statewide Prosecution that almost refuses to prosecute wildlife crimes and sitting judges that when prosecuted and found guilty provide a slap on the wrist.  It is hard to get behind a state that wants more money, but refuses to protect their resources, and enforce their own policies. 

Is there a way to apply pressure to County Prosecution to get enforcement and cost recovery up for those that violate the laws in poaching, trespass, etc? Compare to other states that have a rigid formula for fish and wildlife violators.   
These are county issues, not state. Realistically it is up to each county prosecutors discretion to file charges in each case. That's not something that WDFW or the legislature can fix.
:yeah:

If you want better prosecutions on fish and wildlife cases start calling your county prosecutor, they're the ones in charge. Not WDFW, the legislature, governor, etc.

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »
Rather than increase fees for sportsmen:

1. Increase taxes (normal business tax rates) on timber companies charging access

2. Increase fines on hunting/fishing violations

3. Heavily increase fines, and prosecution enforcement, of poachers by working with counties and prosecution

4. Decrease the amount of desk jobs that provide no benefit

5. Ensure hunting/fishing sales revenue only goes towards the same

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2017, 08:12:29 PM »
2. Increase fines on hunting/fishing violations

3. Heavily increase fines, and prosecution enforcement, of poachers by working with counties and prosecution
Fines are already high. If you went out and shot a doe today your looking at a $5,000 criminal fine 364 days in jail, and a $2,000 civil fine. Problem is judges don't issue sentences to this level and prosecutors don't seek these penalties.

Fish and wildlife fine money goes to counties, not WDFW.

How are you supposed to work "with counties and prosecution" when the same prosecutor you want to prosecute your poaching case has 5 domestic assault and 10 DUI cases sitting on his desk???

I've said it a million times. If we want better prosecution on fish and wildlife cases we need to improve the funding for county prosecutor offices so they can hire more prosecutors. Anything short of that will not succeed.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »

I was very recently just at a legislative meeting and one of the topics was funding WDFW. Two republican legislators argued that WDFW should receive zero general fund (tax) funding and sportsmen should be the biggest funding source in terms of state dollars. Basically meaning WDFW would be funded by sportsmen, the Feds (which currently contribute a big portion) and other local sources. They're mindset is fish and wildlife is not a critical govt service such as public safety and education and thus the users should support it more.

Regarding endangered species funding. Some of you have mentioned looking at other states. Well Idaho for example receives zero tax dollar funding, who do you think funds endangered species funding in Idaho?? Sportsmen thru license fees, and the Feds.....

If there some corresponding shift in control over the department you may get a different responce. I forsee a department with very few hunters who grovel at the feet of the Feds for ESA scraps because they pissed off all thier hunters.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »

Thanks for your insight, it's much appreciated. I would have no problem paying more for licenses to fully fund WDFW if hunters and fishers receive more consideration. Currently it does not appear that fishers and hunters are the top priority of WDFW, rather is seems WDFW caters more to the green groups!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »

I'd be all for this if it were strictly sportsmen on the F&W commission. The problem we have now is that we sportsmen pay a majority of the fees, either directly or indirectly, and don't get a majority voice, especially when it comes to predators. I'd rather pay more and get more than pay more and continually get squeezed by animal rights wackos who pay little.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »

I'm not going to shoot you at all, and I appreciate the input.

I am very mixed on this one for several reasons:

1)  Wildlife is owned by all the public, not just hunters.  As such, even if we foot the entire bill, the non-hunting public still has say in the way their trust resource is managed.  I worry that many folks would go into this with the assumption that because they are footing the bill, they would have exclusive say in the management decisions, and would come away sorely disillusioned to say the least.

2)  Hunters end up paying for urban/suburban wildlife issues that are a public safety/nuisance issue that they shouldn't have to.  As a hunter, I didn't create the issue with a mountain lion in a King County neighborhood.  Thus, I don't feel that I should solely foot the bill on a public safety issue.  No different than a bear in downtown Missoula or Boise.

3)  Wildlife based recreation is economically important for all of Washingtonians.  Again, I fail to see why hunters and anglers should be the ones footing the bill for something that benefits the entire state.

All this said, I also understand the benefits of not relying on general fund revenues, particularly right now with the continued push to fully fund state education in the way that the courts have mandated. 

I would agree in that wildlife and fisheries resources are not critical, but yet they are a very important factor in quality of life.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
they are raising fees to help fund SAFE crack house's. What a joke, where are our fees really supposed to Go.
 This is the last year hunting in this liberal pos state.
 looking at homes in Idaho with land.
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »
they are raising fees to help fund SAFE crack house's. What a joke, where are our fees really supposed to Go.
 This is the last year hunting in this liberal pos state.
 looking at homes in Idaho with land.
???? Hunting/fishing fees go directly back to WDFW nowhere else and there's not any attempt at trying to change that...

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
I sure don't want to fund wolf recovery, grizzly recovery, pocket gopher recovey, or whatever other bs crap the liberals want to protect.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU