Other Activities > BowFishing

Carp shooting

(1/4) > >>

Fletch:
Maybe a dumb question but educate me... I live in Moses lake and there are many carp shooters... What do you do with the carp? Bury them?

Special T:
Most people fillet and release... that said our Archery club had a carp fish fry on our last carp shoot trip on potholes. We deep fried them kinda like catfish.  I wouldn't say they were bad, but I also wouldn't  say they are great. Will I eat carp? Sure. Would I bust out the carpet to impress my friends? No, especially when we have salmon, halibut and walleye.  I found the carpet to be a firm white fish with mediocre flavor. I would rate its flavor between a tilapia and seabass. I might be more inclined to eat it if there weren't as many pesky Y bones that just float in the meat. They aren't like the pin bones in salmon that you can pull prior to cooking.

I have heard they make great crab bait and fertilizer for the garden.

cbond3318:
Most get tossed right back in the water. They can be used for fertilizer , at the tournaments I believe a guy takes the haul for Crawfish Bait.

erk444:
I heard some second hand info that it was illegal to throw them back cause they're an invasive species :dunno: Anyone know if there is any truth to that? We have always tossed them back. We shoot some that have scars on them from being shot from prior years.

cbond3318:

--- Quote from: erk444 on December 22, 2016, 11:58:51 AM ---I heard some second hand info that it was illegal to throw them back cause they're an invasive species :dunno: Anyone know if there is any truth to that? We have always tossed them back. We shoot some that have scars on them from being shot from prior years.

--- End quote ---

I've never heard that but, for clarity, they should be dead when thrown back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version