collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The BAREBOW! Sagas: The Bowling Ball Ram  (Read 5326 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
The BAREBOW! Sagas: The Bowling Ball Ram
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
this is a great story...

The BAREBOW! Sagas: The Bowling Ball Ram

Though there’s probably no way to prove it, I suspect I may be the only American ever to take a Stone’s ram with a bow and arrow on a solo DIY backpack hunt in northern British Columbia.  No guide, no hunting buddy — only the Good Lord to protect me from myself and all the other dangers of wilderness hunting.  The year was 1993, the place was Todagin Mountain and I was age 53 at the time.

My “Game Plan” was something I had spent nearly two full years developing. Hardly a week went by that I hadn’t spent some time thinking about the short, “secret” little waterfall I had found two years earlier on my hunt with Martin. It lay hidden in the bowels of the enormous, south-facing basin which had eroded away the southwestern edge of the high mountain plateau. The reason I describe it as short and “secret” is because it simply came out of nowhere, tumbled down a steep, shale talus slope for 50 feet, then disappeared beneath the rocks again — never to resurface, short of the valley floor!  It was sort of tucked away inside a tight little gully that only revealed its treasure to the sheep who knew where to find it and to the lucky hunters who had stumbled across it at the end of their hunt two years earlier.  By no means was it a cataract, but — rather — more of a gentle cascade that could not be seen from anywhere higher up on the mountain. Nor from lower down. The soft pitter-patter of its spray on the shale was no more than a whisper from ten yards distant. It was, of course, the well-used sheep trails leading to and from this veritable fountain of life that had given away one of the mountain’s best kept secrets.

full story: https://www.sportsmansnews.com/2016/12/barebow-sagas-bowling-ball-ram/
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: The BAREBOW! Sagas: The Bowling Ball Ram
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
I have run into this guy at several shoots trying to sell his book. I'm sure it's great and all, but there is no end to him telling you he is the only person to do "insert anything related to bow hunting" until you can't stomach it any longer.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
I have run into this guy at several shoots trying to sell his book. I'm sure it's great and all, but there is no end to him telling you he is the only person to do "insert anything related to bow hunting" until you can't stomach it any longer.

When I was a little kid my dad told stories of hunting with "Cougar Sam", who was one of those old cougar bounty hunters who killed hundreds of cougar back in the 1950's. Later in life in my 20's I saw "Cougar Sam" at numerous hound field trials. He never recognized me as someone he had spoken to before nor did he remember that I had told him that my dad hunted with him for a short time. Every time I saw him he would say to me "I'm a living legend" and then proceed to tell me about his hunting days. He was an old old guy by that time and I figured those stories was all he had left, maybe he could have been a little more reserved, but at the end of the day the fact was he had been a very accomplished hound hunter and I enjoyed learning about his travels. What you said about this guy made me think of old Cougar Sam who passed away many years ago.  :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JKEEN33

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
I love talking to the old timers. I duck, goose and bow hunt with a friend who turned 89 this month. He spent time in the Navy at the end of WW II in China. Always reminds me of "Sand Pebbles" when he talks about going up the river. The stuff he shares is fascinating to hear. I guess some guys have a little more tact than others when sharing their experiences. I had to laugh when you posted. I thought this sounds just like..... the I scrolled down and saw the picture.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:29:05 PM by JKEEN33 »

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
I have nothing but respect for the life accomplishment he's achieved.  There may be one hunter on here who could fill his boots, but I doubt it. 
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
Very cool adventure writing! Thanks!
Just tend your own and live.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
Dennis is kind of a funny guy.  Met him at the WSB banquet.  He kinda comes off as a used car salesman which I think repels some folks. I'm certain he can tell a story though.   It didn't help I was swapping stories with Larry D Jones at the time I met him, so he was kind of upstaged as I was rivetted with Larry's story telling.  Cool thing about Larry is that he'd like to hear your story even more than  he likes to tell his.  I'm not sure Dennis shares that attribute.   Thanks for the link Dale.  It will be a good read.  I wish I had his story telling abilities.

Offline JKEEN33

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Dennis is kind of a funny guy.  Met him at the WSB banquet.  He kinda comes off as a used car salesman which I think repels some folks. I'm certain he can tell a story though.   It didn't help I was swapping stories with Larry D Jones at the time I met him, so he was kind of upstaged as I was rivetted with Larry's story telling.  Cool thing about Larry is that he'd like to hear your story even more than  he likes to tell his.  I'm not sure Dennis shares that attribute.   Thanks for the link Dale.  It will be a good read.  I wish I had his story telling abilities.

Absolutely the experience I had on several occasions and probably better stated than I did above.

Offline Jake T

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »
I have that book.  It's a good one.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »
He donated one to auction off at a Silver Arrow Bowmen shoot. I purchased it.  Great book lots of stories. I think Bones description is pretty fair.  I've meet quite a few people on this forum and it's safe to say we all have some idiosyncrasies.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
Great story.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
If I remember right his wife was Jennifer Dunn house of Representatives Republican 93-05 8th distance Wa
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »

When I was a little kid my dad told stories of hunting with "Cougar Sam", who was one of those old cougar bounty hunters who killed hundreds of cougar back in the 1950's. Later in life in my 20's I saw "Cougar Sam" at numerous hound field trials. He never recognized me as someone he had spoken to before nor did he remember that I had told him that my dad hunted with him for a short time. Every time I saw him he would say to me "I'm a living legend" and then proceed to tell me about his hunting days. He was an old old guy by that time and I figured those stories was all he had left, maybe he could have been a little more reserved, but at the end of the day the fact was he had been a very accomplished hound hunter and I enjoyed learning about his travels. What you said about this guy made me think of old Cougar Sam who passed away many years ago.  :chuckle:

Sparking up an old thread. I’d always heard lots of stories about Cougar Sam so I googled his name and came across this thread. Your story sounds spot on. I asked a local former hound hunter about Sam one time. His exact words were “oh yeah I knew him. He was almost as full of *censored* as his hunting buddy Leo!”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]