collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 General Rifle Season  (Read 15708 times)

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2017 General Rifle Season
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
The Methow herd needs some help, period! The 3 point or better has helped but like what some have said,there are a lot of different factors that have contributed to the downfall of this once thriving herd. IMHO they need to go to a draw only, way to much pressure besides all the other issues. Go to a draw or let only a certain amount in there based on some sort of odd/even year of birth or wild ID ending number or make it to where you can only hunt it every other year and then another group hunts it the other. Something needs to be done, it,s a shame what has become of this herd and yes, there are some on here that knows this is the truth unfortunately.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
The Methow herd needs some help, period! The 3 point or better has helped but like what some have said,there are a lot of different factors that have contributed to the downfall of this once thriving herd. IMHO they need to go to a draw only, way to much pressure besides all the other issues. Go to a draw or let only a certain amount in there based on some sort of odd/even year of birth or wild ID ending number or make it to where you can only hunt it every other year and then another group hunts it the other. Something needs to be done, it,s a shame what has become of this herd and yes, there are some on here that knows this is the truth unfortunately.

I'd be okay with that, make Chili, Alta, Pearry, Gardner, Chewuch and Pogue draw only units. If you draw, you sit out the following year, similar to some of the Idaho draw only units. No point accumulation either.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »

I'd be okay with that, make Chili, Alta, Pearry, Gardner, Chewuch and Pogue draw only units. If you draw, you sit out the following year, similar to some of the Idaho draw only units. No point accumulation either.

:yeah:....There ya go phool. I think a lot of folks agree that something needs to be done. This particular herd is getting slammed from a lot of different directions, more and more hunting pressure, huge increase in preditor numbers, fires, tough winters, human encroachment, loss of habitat, doe shoots. I like the draw only idea also, open those units up for a 2week season like they used to but only draw 100 to 150 tags per unit, 3point or better and then (whenever they think they need to) throw in some youth doe tags for the first week only. There are a lot of ideas out there and some are a lot different than others but like a lot of us have said.......something needs to be done :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:38:05 AM by bigmacc »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »
The problem with making few units draw only is that the pressure then gets shifted to other units. So what really needs to happen is we need draw only for ALL mule deer hunting.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
The problem with making few units draw only is that the pressure then gets shifted to other units. So what really needs to happen is we need draw only for ALL mule deer hunting.

Then you put added pressure on the west side and whitetail.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
Unless you have to pick your poison.

Offline DBLDWN

• Tracker
  • Groups: IBEW LOCAL 77
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »
Axe multi season tags, and declare east or west side tag just like elk.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Agreed...and go to a draw system that mirrors Idaho. Copy their draw system word for word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

OK! again!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Agreed...and go to a draw system that mirrors Idaho. Copy their draw system word for word.

Yes sir :tup:

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 09:58:25 PM »
 For those who want to kill off what is equivalent to black friday to the businesses in Twisp,Winthrop and stores in Eastern Washington by shutting down OTC muledeer hunting:  :bdid:I and my son seen 4 nice bucks on the few days that allowed us to,due to heavy rain and snow and fog.Talking to the group who skins deer for free (tips excepted)in Twisp they were down 30% from the last few years so those suggestion of gutting the local economy to help the deer might be not just wrong but way too extreme.I shot a nice 2x3 and less than 20 minutes later a 4x4 came through almost in the same path.My son shot a 5x5 that was leading the way of my buck and then filmed a 4x5 for 10 minutes with his cell phone that came up from the canyon below us.I have that buck video transfered to my phone as proof.We do need to go after the predators as I seen way more bear and cat tracks in my areas than in the past.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
For those who want to kill off what is equivalent to black friday to the businesses in Twisp,Winthrop and stores in Eastern Washington by shutting down OTC muledeer hunting:  :bdid:I and my son seen 4 nice bucks on the few days that allowed us to,due to heavy rain and snow and fog.Talking to the group who skins deer for free (tips excepted)in Twisp they were down 30% from the last few years so those suggestion of gutting the local economy to help the deer might be not just wrong but way too extreme.I shot a nice 2x3 and less than 20 minutes later a 4x4 came through almost in the same path.My son shot a 5x5 that was leading the way of my buck and then filmed a 4x5 for 10 minutes with his cell phone that came up from the canyon below us.I have that buck video transfered to my phone as proof.We do need to go after the predators as I seen way more bear and cat tracks in my areas than in the past.

Congrats on your success.

Are you seriously suggesting that the priority of the herd be placed behind the local businesses? If the local businesses are that dependent on the hunting season, wouldn't that just be postponing the inevitable, with the herd declining year after year?

Offline wsmnut

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »

I'd like to see these changes  :yeah: as well as see Fish and Game shorten the season a bit in recognition of a problem.  The communities of the Methow have adjusted and survived nearly snowless winters (fewer skiers, etc.) and the Carlton Complex fire.
They can handle a few less hunters leaving money behind. 
Question then becomes "Can the local game manager handle it?"  Does he recognize that there is a problem?  Doubtful.

Yes sir :tup:
Wsmnut

Belief is so often the death of reason.
Moron Lube

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
Can the local game manager handle it? Does he recognize that there is a problem?

@Mtnmuley

......Grabbing the popcorn! :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]