collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 General Rifle Season  (Read 15709 times)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: 2017 General Rifle Season
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
Ha. You're talking about a guy who in no way is what I would call a "game manager". He's far too concerned with his fisher, wolverine, grizzly, and wolf work to even be able to spell the word ungulate.

Offline Cuernos1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • De Opresso Liber
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 06:29:50 AM »
Damn wolves can't count 3 pts
De Opresso Liber
Maj/DAV
3rd SFGA-ODA-354

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
Damn wolves can't count 3 pts

Same deal with the cats and bears, We,ve seen more of both of them in the last 10 years than we have seen in the last 50!!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
About 7 years ago(give or take) on a spring scouting trip in the Methow, we seen 2 cougars and a bear in a 4 day stretch, the bear had a fawn hanging out of its mouth that looked to be a week or two old as it lumbered down a small ridge. We went back later that summer(early sept.) into a different area at a different elevation and ran into 2 more cats. Now I,m hearing about Grizzly,s. Hopefully somebody gets this figured out..... :twocents:

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
Move the any buck gmu to a 2pt or better. Give out youth tags for any buck. Also make cougar hunting year round. Take the controlled hound hunts for cougar and expand there areas they can hunt. Not just a 2 mile radius.  Actually just bring back the hound hunting for cats and bears. But good luck on them granola eaters in Seattle area voting that back in.  :bash: if every hunter put in the effort to predator hunting. Like they do deer/elk hunting. That would even help out.  You look at what the other neighboring states do and see the game populations thrive. WDFW couldn't manage themselves out of a wet paper sack. Little lone manage the wildlife in Washington. Just my  :twocents:

Rant over.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
That's because there's no more deer left there.

Regardless, the point is the additional two weekdays had little impact on that problem.

As Mtnmuley stated, ridiculous amount of additional doe tags, back to back fires, lack of predation control, and I'll also add FAR TOO MANY LATE TAGS are the biggest issues.

I think the fires, coupled with the extra days, and a coinciding early rut in 2015 really knocked back those big buck numbers up the Methow anyways... with no cover after the fire and the animals coming down early, what did we expect? I'm glad it won't be the following week... we don't need a "quality hunt" to coincide with general season dates.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »

Regardless, the point is the additional two weekdays had little impact on that problem.

As Mtnmuley stated, ridiculous amount of additional doe tags, back to back fires, lack of predation control, and I'll also add FAR TOO MANY LATE TAGS are the biggest issues.
I'm glad it won't be the following week... we don't need a "quality hunt" to coincide with general season dates.

Huh? :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »

I'm glad it won't be the following week... we don't need a "quality hunt" to coincide with general season dates.

I feel like the general rifle season already is close enough in timeframe to see rut activity depending on the season, so I'm glad it is the week stated, rather than the following week. 2015 had so many big bucks harvested for a multitude of reasons, one being that it had high rut activity, making it almost a "general season quality buck tag" in my opinion.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »

I feel like the general rifle season already is close enough in timeframe to see rut activity depending on the season, so I'm glad it is the week stated, rather than the following week. 2015 had so many big bucks harvested for a multitude of reasons, one being that it had high rut activity, making it almost a "general season quality buck tag" in my opinion.

Ok, what gave you the idea I wanted the week the season ran changed?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »

Didn't say you did... I was simply adding my speculations as to why there were "no more deer" there, and agreeing the two extra days were not the issue insomuch as a combination of other factors.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »

Didn't say you did... I was simply adding my speculations as to why there were "no more deer" there, and agreeing the two extra days were not the issue insomuch as a combination of other factors.

;)

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
If I had my way the east side of the state would be 4 point min for whitetail+muledeer,after about 4-6 years you would see some giants come from washington.And yes chose which side of the state you want to hunt deer like elk. :twocents:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
If I had my way the east side of the state would be 4 point min for whitetail+muledeer,after about 4-6 years you would see some giants come from washington.And yes chose which side of the state you want to hunt deer like elk. :twocents:

Well, I don't know about a 4 point min. but I agree that something needs to be done. Yes some giants could come out of this state, they once did, and yes, every once in awhile they still do. Back in the days of my grandparents and great grandparents(1918-1950,s) they took some monsters out of this valley. 

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »

Actually you wouldn't. A 4 point APR would focus all hunters on mature bucks, which would be detrimental to the herd.*

Offline MADMAX

• Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 06:03:15 AM »
In regards to the Winthrop area

seems to me that most of the deer in the valley have figured out private land

Lots of does now never migrate, they stay on the valley floor all year

Many bucks were seen by my group during archery and rifle,they were  just standing behind no trespassing or no hunting signage
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]