collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting guides that shoot (vs just guide)  (Read 10555 times)

Offline hunhntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, LCSA, PF,DU,RGS
Re: Hunting guides that shoot (vs just guide)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
Thanks. Good info.
Just asking because I have only paid a guide three times in 40+ years and assumed it was customary for a guide to guide and not be paid to hunt.
1) It wasn't discussed upfront ... although I was told to let my son shoot first...DUH!
2) Did not get his harvested birds nor did my son completely fill his limit. (Still had the time of his life)
3) Were not having trouble filling our limit nor was the guide waiting for us to exhaust opportunities.
4) Won't name the guide, won't name the area or the state hunted.
5) EVERYTHING  ELSE ABOUT THE HUNT WAS FIRST CLASS!

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »
I've guided before,and in my case you wait a few rounds,of your with a bunch of non shooters than you do. I gave my birds away though. I shot/shot enough not to worry about a few birds. I also would ask if they minded. Most groups i worked with didn't mind,because it wasn't about how many individuals got,for the most part,it was about getting limits.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 06:38:58 PM »
Thanks. Good info.
Just asking because I have only paid a guide three times in 40+ years and assumed it was customary for a guide to guide and not be paid to hunt.
1) It wasn't discussed upfront ... although I was told to let my son shoot first...DUH!
2) Did not get his harvested birds nor did my son completely fill his limit. (Still had the time of his life)
3) Were not having trouble filling our limit nor was the guide waiting for us to exhaust opportunities.
4) Won't name the guide, won't name the area or the state hunted.
5) EVERYTHING  ELSE ABOUT THE HUNT WAS FIRST CLASS!
If you are happy thats all that matters.  I can't blame the guy for shooting.  Its hard to beat a good day of shooting Sky Carp!

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Every guided duck hunt I have been on the guide only swatted cripples. The rest of the time he was calling or telling jokes or b.s.'nwith us. Also they only ran their dogs after the hunt to mop up difficult to find birds. It should definitely be decided prior to that morning. I personally don't see why they need to "hunt" basically on my dime. At least your kid had fun... Ultimately that is what matters.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »
Also if he had enough birds on his string to limit you guys out he should have done that after the hunt was over. Again...merely a personal opinion.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »
Usually the guides just shoot cripples. Or if there is poor shooting they might take some shots to achieve the limit faster. However I had a guide explain to me that they don't really like to shoot because that would be party hunting as hunters should only keep the birds they shoot. I'm not sure of the legals on this however, if the guide was shooting and keeping his own birds is see it as fine but if he is limiting the opportunity of the paying hunters then that is not cool
Coastal Perspective.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
Usually the guides just shoot cripples. Or if there is poor shooting they might take some shots to achieve the limit faster. However I had a guide explain to me that they don't really like to shoot because that would be party hunting as hunters should only keep the birds they shoot. I'm not sure of the legals on this however, if the guide was shooting and keeping his own birds is see it as fine but if he is limiting the opportunity of the paying hunters then that is not cool

:yeah:
I couldn't remember the term but it was "party hunting"
I do think they could give theirs to you once you have left the field...offsite...As long as you are not over your limit with their contribution. I could be totally wrong though.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
I think the guide should ask the hunters if they mind if he shoots too.

I feel like this is the way to go, and it should be made known up front before it happens. Each hunter has a bag limit. I don't waterfowl hunt and don't know what the limits are, but if it's 6 birds per person, I assume that means that each person can shoot 6 birds. I assume it doesn't mean that if there are 3 people there, 18 birds can be killed regardless of who shoots what. Am I right here?

Were it me, I'd not be ok with the guide shooting until the other 2 killed their limits and a discussion was had to see if all parties wanted to stay and kill another limit.

I totally agree.

I don't really care if birds are piling in by the dozens.

If I took my young son, I'd like him to be able to raise up and shoot w/o worrying about (or competing against ) the guide.

That's why I'm paying big bucks for the guide to begin with.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 08:40:01 PM »
I feel like calling them guides in the first place is weird.  I can't compare a duck guide to someone like Bearpaw who will spend days in the woods with someone and help him track down big game. 

For this reason, I see the $200-300 I spend on a waterfowl hunt as an opportunity to hunt prime area over great decoys and not have to worry about the details.  I don't mind others shooting because generally speaking there are more ducks or geese than we can shoot anyways. 

Offline KDB

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
I used to hunt with guides and they also shot but you should remember that most guides are very good shots and they are often just trying to knock down birds that the hunters have hit.  Also party hunting is not legal and when hunting with a group hunters should quit shooting after they feel that have killed their limit.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
I feel like calling them guides in the first place is weird.  I can't compare a duck guide to someone like Bearpaw who will spend days in the woods with someone and help him track down big game. 

For this reason, I see the $200-300 I spend on a waterfowl hunt as an opportunity to hunt prime area over great decoys and not have to worry about the details.  I don't mind others shooting because generally speaking there are more ducks or geese than we can shoot anyways. 

This is a weird thought process in my opinion.  Do you think the duck guides don't do any work to find those honey holes?
Kind of like saying treestand hunters don't do any work to find their spots.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
Good lease + Food = Ducks

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

This is a weird thought process in my opinion.  Do you think the duck guides don't do any work to find those honey holes?

Pretty big jump in your comparison (IMHO).  Give waterfowl a shot in 2017 and let us know how whatcha think.

Curtis

Offline Spuddieselwwu

• Spuddieselwwu
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NRA, RMEF
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »

I feel like you're underestimating the amount of work some guides put in.  I have a close friend that is a pretty well known/successful guide in E.WA that puts in countless hours of work from sun up to sun down scouting, working with land owners to lock up leases/access, maintenance on equipment/boats, working on CRP. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »

Pretty big jump in your comparison (IMHO).  Give waterfowl a shot in 2017 and let us know how whatcha think.

Curtis

I've hunted waterfowl 15-20 times and failed miserably 80% of the time. The 20% I did well, we killed the crap out of them directly. I don't like eating them and I have too many other hobbies so I tabled duck hunting.
Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but it kinda sounds like you're saying there's not a lot of work that goes into successful waterfowl guiding.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw