collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting guides that shoot (vs just guide)  (Read 10553 times)

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Hunting guides that shoot (vs just guide)
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
Father takes son on first time waterfowl field hunt. Son is fourteen and holding his own shooting both ducks and geese. Guide (also owner) shoots from the get go and adds his birds to overall bag. Father calls BS on this move and allows son to shoot.
Hunt did not go over allowable bag limit.

I feel like there's more to the story here...

Are you upset that your bag limit was 21 ducks and you were hoping your son could shoot more then 7 because you had 3 guys there, but since the guide shot his 7 he took away opportunity, so to speak, for your son to shoot more?

I don't mind if the guide shoots, the guided hunts I've been on there's been more then enough out of each flock to go around.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
I feel like calling them guides in the first place is weird.  I can't compare a duck guide to someone like Bearpaw who will spend days in the woods with someone and help him track down big game. 

For this reason, I see the $200-300 I spend on a waterfowl hunt as an opportunity to hunt prime area over great decoys and not have to worry about the details.  I don't mind others shooting because generally speaking there are more ducks or geese than we can shoot anyways.

I feel like you're underestimating the amount of work some guides put in.  I have a close friend that is a pretty well known/successful guide in E.WA that puts in countless hours of work from sun up to sun down scouting, working with land owners to lock up leases/access, maintenance on equipment/boats, working on CRP.

Sorry not trying to insult your friend, I just don't see the point in them not shooting.  I've never had an issue with it.  If my big game guide had a rifle along "just in case he sees a buck he likes", I would be super pissed. 

Curtis

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »
I feel like calling them guides in the first place is weird.  I can't compare a duck guide to someone like Bearpaw who will spend days in the woods with someone and help him track down big game. 

For this reason, I see the $200-300 I spend on a waterfowl hunt as an opportunity to hunt prime area over great decoys and not have to worry about the details.  I don't mind others shooting because generally speaking there are more ducks or geese than we can shoot anyways.

I feel like you're underestimating the amount of work some guides put in.  I have a close friend that is a pretty well known/successful guide in E.WA that puts in countless hours of work from sun up to sun down scouting, working with land owners to lock up leases/access, maintenance on equipment/boats, working on CRP.

Sorry not trying to insult your friend, I just don't see the point in them not shooting.  I've never had an issue with it.  If my big game guide had a rifle along "just in case he sees a buck he likes", I would be super pissed. 

Curtis

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges? When was the last time you were on a big game hunt and had herds of 50+ shooter deer just keep piling into your field?

I would have no problem with a guide shooting if we had ample shooting opportunities and he only shot his limits. If you get a group of 20 ducks coming in why not let him shoot? He should let you guys get the first shot or two and not be the first one out of the blind though. I'm glad the OP's son had a great time though.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »
That was kind of my point.  I guess I didn't communicate it well.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Give me one good reason why he should shoot other than killing a cripple???

You pay him and he hunts?????
LOL.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
Give me one good reason why he should shoot other than killing a cripple???

You pay him and he hunts?????
LOL.

Then shoot your own cripples for that matter.  If we're going to be legalistic, that's his bird if he shoots your cripple.

It's waterfowl hunting.  50 birds comes in on 5 shooters, who cares if the guy shoots?  He's calling, he's likely fetching (most of the guided hunts I've been on they get the birds), sometimes they even clean.

I just don't see why it's a problem. 

Curtis

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2017, 12:56:57 PM »
Because I don't think a beginning hunter that paid to go needs to listen to dudeman's 12 gauge barking in his ear.

Probably put the kid on his right too so he could dodge shell hulls.

Rookie guide in his 20's is my guess.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
Because I don't think a beginning hunter that paid to go needs to listen to dudeman's 12 gauge barking in his ear.

Probably put the kid on his right too so he could dodge shell hulls.

Rookie guide in his 20's is my guess.

Hasn't been an issue for me.  Generally speaking I duck hunt with others so there will always be other shotguns shooting, and generally speaking I don't get hit with shells.  I mean I'm sure a guide would be happy to not shoot, but again it seems a little weird if you have several people out there that you'd have an issue with just one more shooter.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
The 14 year old should have had the bunches of birds to himself.

I bet the same guy pushes 10 year olds out of the way at Seahawk's games to get autographs also.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
 :o

Offline Spuddieselwwu

• Spuddieselwwu
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NRA, RMEF
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »

Curtis

You're not trying to insult my friend - you just said you don't think that they're guides. I was just outlining a lot of what goes into the hunt that you don't see while you're out there.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »
If it's waterfowl, I feel bang away. You're paying more for location and prep than anything else anyways. I agree with ctwiggs1, let them have at it. I do agree on the letting the younger man shoot first but three shells only goes so far and once those birds are shot at, real good chance they don't come back. Lol. Might as well make the most out of each group.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
Could be worse:  Its pretty common it seems in E. WA to combine parties to reach the minimum of hunters a blind or location is set up for in primo spots.   I would prefer one of the guys be the guide vs a stranger if need be. 

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »

Curtis

You're not trying to insult my friend - you just said you don't think that they're guides. I was just outlining a lot of what goes into the hunt that you don't see while you're out there.

I recognize that.  I guess I need to rephrase what I said.  I have a hard time putting a waterfowl guide in the same category as a big game outfitter. That work? 

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »
I would prefer they hunt just because I like that type of atmosphere.  But if he is the owner I would not tip either way. He gets all the money if he needs more he should charge more I only tip hired hands.
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand