collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Depredation land owner tags  (Read 9586 times)

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Depredation land owner tags
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 11:37:25 PM »
My buddy gets kill permits and damage prevention tags for his ranch. Once you get your signed paperwork from wdfw, you must go to the store and buy your permit for damage prevention tags. For kill permits, its shoot on site. you can still fill your general tag and use a damage prevention tag. Speaking of it, I still have a damage elk tag in my pocket....

Read the permit.  Damage tag still required for KP unless you meet the criteria.  Call the issuer of the permit.

His ranch meets the criteria. Thank you though.
Not for self, but for country

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 05:15:00 AM »
My buddy gets kill permits and damage prevention tags for his ranch. Once you get your signed paperwork from wdfw, you must go to the store and buy your permit for damage prevention tags. For kill permits, its shoot on site. you can still fill your general tag and use a damage prevention tag. Speaking of it, I still have a damage elk tag in my pocket....

Read the permit.  Damage tag still required for KP unless you meet the criteria.  Call the issuer of the permit.

Do YOU meet the criteria?

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »

Do YOU meet the criteria?

I don't have a kill permit so I'm not concerned about meeting it.
Not for self, but for country

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
There is no such thing as a depredation tag.
Here is a simple explanation.
Only kill permits and damage prevention permits.  There is one other that does not apply here.
Damage prevention permits are intended to be given to a licensed hunter who can purchase a damage tag which is considered a second elk tag.  Effectively the permit writer is authorizing a special season describe on the permit under WAC authority.
Kill permits are intended for a landowner, immediate family member, or tenant of real property.  As defined by WDFW staff they can keep or donate the meat.  these are issued under RCW

The most common issued is a Damage Prevention permit.  The intent is to use a licensed hunter of the landowners choice.
Both have a lot of gray area that is intended to benefit the landowner and was modified in the past couple of years.  Generally issuing staff will advise accordingly.

Prior to this you could use an unfilled tag with a Damage Prevention permit. 
Anyone not meeting the criteria for a kill permit would be hunting out of season!

My kill permit clearly states:
"Hunter to retain carcass." Also says "Free Permit-no license or tag required."
Also says that "Kill permits may not be sold, traded, transferred, or bartered for payment to any person not listed as the landowner OR their designee listed on the permit."
Since my name is on the permit it is safe to say that I am hunting legally and the deer is hanging safely in my garage now.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]