collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho unit 26 and 27 advice  (Read 12715 times)

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho unit 26 and 27 advice
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 07:28:57 AM »
I second that. Really that's dirt cheap to fly in, I'm sure there's a few that can help you on that as well if you're serious. Don't worry you can still put on plenty of boot miles once you're in there!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Online elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
If your dead set on hunting the church...fly in. It's the only way to get the whole experience. Not saying you'll shoot a big buck/bull but, you will have an experience. There's a lot better places to hunt but you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to spend a week or two. The cost of the air charter ($350) is not much compared to thee other expenses involved in an out of state hunt.

Could you provide the contact info for the air service?  That is really not much.

Thanks

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:16 AM »
If you fly in, hike 7 miles from the airstrip to camp, and don't kill a nice buck/bull then perhaps you should head to the eye doctor once you get out.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
I've flown with McCall air before. But be prepared to not have a schedule. It took two days for them to get us out one year.  There are a lot of factors with back country drops. But they are fun.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:14:30 AM by fishngamereaper »

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
Depends on where you live, which will determine where you are flying out of. Cascade, Salmon, Challis, and a few other places. Salmon Air, Sawtooth, Arnold, and G&S are a few to get you started. I suppose "nice" is a relative term.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »
Also flying out of Hamilton MT

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
Some air charters will be solely responsible for you and others will "share" you. No big deal but it's good to know before hand. No matter what happens, dress warm anytime you fly and make sure your sleeping bag and your rifle is in the plane your in. Plans can change real quick on this "hunt". If you need to be back to work on Monday, try and be done hunting by Friday.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
I'm just saying that going 5 or 6 miles into the frank is the equivalent of going 10 into almost any other unit in da ho.
I'd concemtrate on anywhere there aren't roads and ATV networks... it's true, you get away from roads, you'll get away from people.
19, 19A, 20, 20A, 21, 28, 30 in that area will all be in the same ballpark as those wilderness units. A few.of those even fit the bull for the Nov hunt.

Thanks, that helps narrow things down (for me anyway).  Fly-in won't be an option for me since I am a school teacher and I only can arrange so much time off in the fall.  Stuck for a couple of days on an airstrip and I would be in trouble at work.
Since I have never hunted Idaho before, I am just going off hearsay, but I have heard that motorcycles are a problem anywhere there are trails. You mentioned "staying away from the ATV trails", and I know that some units are designated for "non-motorized travel".  What is your experience with people actually following those rules?  Word on the street is that Idaho has trouble enforcing that rule...

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
I'm just saying that going 5 or 6 miles into the frank is the equivalent of going 10 into almost any other unit in da ho.
I'd concemtrate on anywhere there aren't roads and ATV networks... it's true, you get away from roads, you'll get away from people.
19, 19A, 20, 20A, 21, 28, 30 in that area will all be in the same ballpark as those wilderness units. A few.of those even fit the bull for the Nov hunt.

Thanks, that helps narrow things down (for me anyway).  Fly-in won't be an option for me since I am a school teacher and I only can arrange so much time off in the fall.  Stuck for a couple of days on an airstrip and I would be in trouble at work.
Since I have never hunted Idaho before, I am just going off hearsay, but I have heard that motorcycles are a problem anywhere there are trails. You mentioned "staying away from the ATV trails", and I know that some units are designated for "non-motorized travel".  What is your experience with people actually following those rules?  Word on the street is that Idaho has trouble enforcing that rule...

There are a good amount of motorcycle trails here in Idaho.  Some are open year round and hunters will use them to access areas easier.  Just look at the NFS maps, they will list the trails in the area and what is or is not allowed on them.  I haven't had an issue in areas that are closed to motorized vehicles where i hunt, but I am sure it can happen.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »

There are a good amount of motorcycle trails here in Idaho.  Some are open year round and hunters will use them to access areas easier.  Just look at the NFS maps, they will list the trails in the area and what is or is not allowed on them.
I noticed that in the hunting regs.  Some units are designated "non-motorized traffic only".  I keep hearing about people hiking up trail in a non-motorized area and 3 guys on bikes with rifles blowing past them.  Just wondering if some units are "worse than others" for this kind of thing.  Is Idaho able to enforce this law?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »

There are a good amount of motorcycle trails here in Idaho.  Some are open year round and hunters will use them to access areas easier.  Just look at the NFS maps, they will list the trails in the area and what is or is not allowed on them.
I noticed that in the hunting regs.  Some units are designated "non-motorized traffic only".  I keep hearing about people hiking up trail in a non-motorized area and 3 guys on bikes with rifles blowing past them.  Just wondering if some units are "worse than others" for this kind of thing.  Is Idaho able to enforce this law?

Here is a good source of info with trail information.  It could happen, but they are not enforcing it very well, to much land and not enough man power.  I wouldst let it concern you though, especially in wilderness areas.  If there are outfitters out there with horses, they will take care of any idiot who rode a bike in!

https://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2252207eb95b49f99b2c05228831dfbb

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
If there is a two track from the turn of the century the interbred locals will run their quads on them legal or not.
Enforcement doesn't happen.
Both parties are lazy.

Getting away from trails/roads is stellar advice.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »
Fly-in won't be an option for me since I am a school teacher and I only can arrange so much time off in the fall.
Thank you for your service to the world.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Fly-in won't be an option for me since I am a school teacher and I only can arrange so much time off in the fall.
Thank you for your service to the world.

Please go in and kick the counselor.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »
1. I'm scared to talk deer in Idaho right now...obviously (see winterkill thread)
2. I can't speak for all units but I've heard that ATVs are really a problem in 43. I've been in 49 during archery elk season and seldom saw a soul over 5 days. I do know that many of the units surrounding Boise, Challis and Salmon will have plenty of people and ATVs...of course...the further away you get from the city the fewer people/ATVs. You can really tell from google earth the places that have trail networks and also I use trails.idaho.gov quite a bit for scoutin

PS: It's an unwritten rule that you can't hunt in Idaho without an ATV
-Black Elk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw