collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1 Pintail Limit for 2017-2018  (Read 4760 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
1 Pintail Limit for 2017-2018
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »
I saw the USFWS new recommended limits for 2017-2018 reduced the number of pintail to 1 for next year.  Bummer as we have plenty of them in the area.
https://deltawaterfowl.org/breaking-news-pintail-limit-to-drop-to-1-daily-black-ducks-to-increase-to-2-daily/

Breaking News: Pintail Limit to Drop to 1 Daily, Black Ducks to Increase to 2 Daily

By Kyle Wintersteen, Managing Editor

Based on spring 2016 breeding population surveys, hunter harvest estimates and other data, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has issued its 2017 Adaptive Harvest Management Report, which includes regulatory frameworks for the 2017-2018 duck season.

Duck hunters in all four flyways will again enjoy liberal season dates: 60 days in the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways, 74 days in the Central Flyway and 107 days in the Pacific Flyway. The frameworks include a seven-duck limit in the Pacific Flyway, and a six-duck limit across all others.

However, there’s disappointing news for hunters who like to shoot pintails: The limit has been cut to one bird daily in all flyways due to several springs of lagging production. The 2016 breeding population survey estimated 2.62 million pintails, which is 34 percent below the long-term average, a 14 percent drop from 2015, and the fifth straight survey in which pintails have declined.  The population estimate falls well within the USFWS Adaptive Harvest Strategy’s threshold for reducing the daily limit, while maintaining a liberal season length.

It’s the first time since 2008 that Pacific Flyway waterfowlers are faced with a one-pintail limit.

“It’s a bitter pill to swallow, because we see so many pintails in the Pacific Flyway and certainly here in Utah,” said Jeff Adams, chairman of the Willard Peak Chapter of Delta Waterfowl in Brigham City, Utah. “It’s a revered duck that shows up here before the season starts and can be found until the last days. But most of us understand the population estimate is a survey of North America, not just our backyards.”

Still, not everyone who’s learned of the reduction is happy.

“There’s been plenty of griping among hunters and on internet forums,” said Adams, who paused while talking — ironically to call at a flock of pintails. “In my opinion, some hunters don’t have a broad perspective of the resource. They see piles of pintails and canvasbacks and wonder why they can’t shoot more.”

Arguably the most exciting change for next season — especially for Atlantic Flyway waterfowlers — is the increase to two black ducks daily. The move marks the first time in decades that hunters are permitted more than one black per day.

USFWS calculated several factors in making the change, notably the 2016 Eastern Survey Area estimate of 612,000 black ducks (a 13 percent increase), the risk of competition on the breeding grounds from an estimated 409,000 eastern mallards and ongoing monitoring of the black duck hunter harvest. Despite doubling the daily bag limit, modeling estimates that the hunter harvest will only increase by a sustainable 30 percent.

“I trust the science behind the service’s decision and I think this is a great opportunity for hunters to put an extra duck in their bags,” said Chris Williams, Delta Waterfowl senior regional events director for the Atlantic Flyway. “The black duck is a big-time trophy here in the Atlantic and it’s been a lifelong dream of many hunters to see the limit increase.”

Williams has heard from hunters who are concerned that the increased limit goes too far. While Delta has never shied from voicing disagreement over waterfowl regulations — notably when the bluebill limit was disproportionately slashed in 2008 — USFWS modeling clearly supports the change.

“The service tends to be conservative with its regulations, and I’m confident it has done its homework,” Williams said.

Additional species-specific regulations include two canvasbacks and two redheads daily in all four flyways. Four mallards may be shot daily in the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways, five in the Central and seven in the Pacific, only two of which may be hens. The daily limit on bluebills is three in all flyways except the Atlantic, where two are permitted.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: 1 Pintail Limit for 2017-2018
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:16:43 PM »
Pissed I guess I'll have to shoot 2 just to make up for next year.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
Doesn't make any sense to limit all 4 flyways for pintail. I guess they would rather see the areas with abundant pintail over populate and die of disease(Bird Flue).
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »
When I was out last Friday there was no shortage of pintails! Tword the end it got more difficult trying to pick out the lone mallard in the group as the came into the decoys.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »
Bummer. But I did notice a slight decline in the number of pintail we are seeing versus last year.  They are my favorite duck.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:03 AM »
Just noticed that Utah already announced this and figured WA was not far behind. 

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
I remember when the limit was 10 per day under the old point system.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
I read about that a few days ago. I feel we have a ton here. But if it helps the population, I'm for it. That is....... As long as they give it back to us.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
If they really wanted to do something how bout a separate limit for Mergansers?

Confucius

Offline Hookedonquack200

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited and Bass Nation
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »
Seriously? There's nothing but pintail where I hunt. :'(

Offline YoungFowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »

Now there is an idea!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Fear God, love your neighbor and shoot ducks-Phil Robertson

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Send that thought to the WDFW and USFW as I have. I"ve also been trying to get Cormorants opened up for harvest not counting against your duck limit
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]