collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford mechanics, I need help!!  (Read 14658 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ford mechanics, I need help!!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
I'm really hoping that the new alternator will fix it, but I'm not that lucky I don't think. Gonna chase the grounds down this weekend and give them all a cleaning, I'm almost wondering if my winch or amplifiers may be doing something funny as well... I think it's gonna be a long road till she's perfect

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
My dad has a chevy suburban that had similar issues....Intermittently wouldn't start(would crank over forever and wouldn't even try to fire), and a couple times died on the side of the road while driving.  A couple times when it wouldn't start, after sitting a day or two then it started up and ran fine. Kept chasing the issue to the engine not getting fuel, and from that to the fuel pump.  He replaced the fuel pump 4 or 5 times over a span of about 2 years and kept having the same issue.  Then finally got a code reader and found out it was the crank position sensor on the engine.  When that would sporadically fail it would cut power to the fuel pump and made it appear that the fuel pump failed.

I know it's a different engine, but I'd recommend checking that sensor.  Should be a rather cheap part.  Hopefully it's easy to get to on your engine.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »
Thanks for the info! Exactly what kinds doing, and being somewhat weather related I can buy that the crank sensor could be the culprit... It's cheap enough that it's getting a new one Friday just because! If that works, I owe ya a beer for sure

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
The correct fix for this is to sell it and buy a dodge  :IBCOOL:
:chuckle:
Found
On
Road
Dead

Need the diesel motor.  :tup:

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:23 PM »
Sold a perfectly good 7.3 to buy this  :yike:

I like the v10 platform, more truck then I'd ever need, and not a daily driver so I don't care that the diesel gets better mpg's.

This specific truck... :bash:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
Sold a perfectly good 7.3 to buy this  :yike:

I like the v10 platform, more truck then I'd ever need, and not a daily driver so I don't care that the diesel gets better mpg's.

This specific truck... :bash:

I would have kept the 7.3, I drive mine daily. :dunno:

I'm really hoping that the new alternator will fix it, but I'm not that lucky I don't think. Gonna chase the grounds down this weekend and give them all a cleaning, I'm almost wondering if my winch or amplifiers may be doing something funny as well... I think it's gonna be a long road till she's perfect

A bad alternator is not going to cause your fuel pressure in that truck to drop from 39-40# to 3-5# :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 03:30:26 AM »
Here's an idea.  An old trick was to put a plastic bag in someone you are at war with' fuel tank.  The siphon would suck it up around the intake cutting off fuel flow and killing the engine.  Then after sitting for a while the bag without suction keeping it in place the bag Seoul drift free allowing the engine to start and totally frustrating the person trying to track down the issue. 

Just a thought. 

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
Here's an idea.  An old trick was to put a plastic bag in someone you are at war with' fuel tank.  The siphon would suck it up around the intake cutting off fuel flow and killing the engine.  Then after sitting for a while the bag without suction keeping it in place the bag Seoul drift free allowing the engine to start and totally frustrating the person trying to track down the issue. 

Just a thought.

Is that experience speaking?   :chuckle:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »

Just a thought.

Is that experience speaking?   :chuckle:

Yes, it happened to my boss.  When he finally found out what the problem was he was livid.  The mechanic who finally fixed the problem said that it was an old trick and it was something he always checked for after first encountering it a couple decades earlier. 

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »
When it rains it pours, hopped in my Subaru to head to work this morning, tranny grenaded while it was warming up  :bash:

Haven't looked into it to much yet, hopefully i can find a cheap used one, if not I'm gonna scrap the car and start over.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »
I had a similar problem with my Chevy S-10. If it rained it would be hard to start or it wouldn't start at all. Found out it was a wire harness that was getting wet when the rain would run down the windshield. If the rain was heavy, my truck would not start for a couple of days. When I found out it was the harness, I sprayed it with a can of liquid tape and I didn't have a problem after that. It took me a year and a half to find the problem.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 06:41:12 AM »
Stop the bus ! you wanna check the pink and black wire between the fpdm and the inertia switch . look for shorted or burned wiring by left exhaust manifold .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
I lied on your 05 its a white wire from inertia to module . if you don't see anything obvious then I would unplug the module and put a 4657 headlamp bulb between pins 3 ground and pin 5 supply voltage and test circuit under load . you will need to jump the fuel pump relay . those bulbs will draw 6-7 amps checking the circuit under load . if the bulb dims just eliminate the ground side first with a jumper wire then work your way backwards to the inertia switch , relay , fuse block . any ? call me at 206 522-6100, corey
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the info coach! At the shop now, gonna start tracing wiring, might not get to far tonight, but I'll be back in the am to start fresh if not, might be hearing from me tomorrow  :tup:

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
Didn't make it far last night, dropped my DMM first thing and shattered it. Back at it this am with a new one, watched fuel pressure with koeo, spikes to 70, settles right down to 42, then steadily drops over about a 10 minute span to 22, and continues dropping very slowly, doesn't seem to be normal, about to fire up all data and see what it says, as well as trace wiring from pump to panel to ensure it is good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]