collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Are you in favor of this bill?

Yes
No

Author Topic: HB 1097 Would Require the Governor & WDFW To Meet w/ Tribes Whenever They Ask  (Read 7881 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
HB 1097 sponsored by Representatives Sawyer, Hansen, Fitzgibbon, Stanford, Jinkins, Frame, Gregerson, Santos, Tarleton, and Pollet would require the Governor and the WDFW Commission or WDFW Director to meet with tribes regarding tribal hunting within 30 days of a tribes request for such meeting.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1097.pdf

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
It would be like a booty call for the tribes if it passed, come here and bend over again state of WA

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
May be I'm slow, but I'm not getting what's going on here. Why are legislators sponsoring this?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
It would be like a booty call for the tribes if it passed, come here and bend over again state of WA
:yeah:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Don't even know what to say, just give them control of the entire state and we can all move!  You think that would make the tribes satisfied?  They'd still want more!!!!  :bash:   
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
"Any meeting convened pursuant to this section is not subject to the requirements
of the open public meetings act, chapter 42.30 RCW.

Shady deals need special privileges

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
"Any meeting convened pursuant to this section is not subject to the requirements
of the open public meetings act, chapter 42.30 RCW.

That says a lot

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
This stinks of corruption in so many ways. The first thing that comes to bear is they are getting a big push right now to allow the public to observe the NOF meetings under the public open meeting laws. They are responding back with emails saying thise meetings don't fall under that. This introduced bill kind of tells me they might be wrong and are now getting it brought up this way to definitely shut the public out of the process. Anyone want go bet it covers more than the hunting seasons, gets amended in the process to cover all meetings?

They do not want us to know what is going on.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
I'd like to hear what Senator Kirk Pearson's position is on this. Anybody in his district?
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
This one seems to bug me.  Does the reverse happen?  Does a state agency summon a sovereign nation into secret meetings within 30 days?  But a sovereign nation can have the legislature pass that requirement on the state. 

I get some funny feeling about how this is going to be used.  If my example is wrong let me know.
Aug 10, some tribe requests a meeting with WDFW and the Governor.  Sep 5, Gov and WDFW meet with tribes; tribes claim herds in horrible shape, need more data.  Sep 6, WDFW emergency closure elk season in a certain GMUs within the complaining tribe's boundaries.  Bios get to work.  Tribes get some obscure federal permit to hunt elk ceremonially during the closure.  Oct 25, tribes and WDFW find elk are fine plan to re-open seasons.  Nov 15, tribes/WDFW/gov have the rest of their meeting.  Nov 16, seasons open and WDFW scrambling on how to accommodate hunters that missed early seasons and busy trying to get red tape through commission.  :dunno:

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
This one seems to bug me.  Does the reverse happen?  Does a state agency summon a sovereign nation into secret meetings within 30 days?  But a sovereign nation can have the legislature pass that requirement on the state. 

I get some funny feeling about how this is going to be used.  If my example is wrong let me know.
Aug 10, some tribe requests a meeting with WDFW and the Governor.  Sep 5, Gov and WDFW meet with tribes; tribes claim herds in horrible shape, need more data.  Sep 6, WDFW emergency closure elk season in a certain GMUs within the complaining tribe's boundaries.  Bios get to work.  Tribes get some obscure federal permit to hunt elk ceremonially during the closure.  Oct 25, tribes and WDFW find elk are fine plan to re-open seasons.  Nov 15, tribes/WDFW/gov have the rest of their meeting.  Nov 16, seasons open and WDFW scrambling on how to accommodate hunters that missed early seasons and busy trying to get red tape through commission.  :dunno:
Are you aware of what it takes to get and implement a conservation closure? I don't see that scenario happening.

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
For fishing it doesn't seem to take all that much.  Just a high guess from fish counters.
Why, what is driving the need for the tribes to need secret meetings within 30 days?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
For fishing it doesn't seem to take all that much.  Just a high guess from fish counters.
Fishing is a lot more political and has more case law behind it, including the Boldt Decision itself which layed out conservation closures. The feds also have a piece of the pie when it comes to fisheries decisions, not so much on the wildlife side unless it's a federally managed species, or on certain federal lands.

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
bigtex, do you have a good example for how this legislation would be used if becomes law?  Including why the 30 days and not open to public?

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Light em up!
director@dfw.wa.gov
commission@dfw.wa.gov
Legislative Hotline 1-800-562-6000
I have Man Chit to do

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx