collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Tactics 2017 - Episode #1  (Read 1727 times)

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Elk Tactics 2017 - Episode #1
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »
Figured we could get some of these going for 2017  ;)

Date/Time: 15 September 2017/11:00 AM
Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Hunt: Solo hunt today
Tag: Archery season; any bull

After an action packed morning two draws over (crawled into a nice alder thicket screamer but no clear shot), you head to where you had heard a distant bugle right at daylight, a few ridges over. You've worked your way up the back side of a semi flat ridge, heard a lazy bull bugle on the other side, and are now stopped at the place you see the "H" (hunter) on the uphill side of the blowdown. Now, you hear some light, social cow chatter down the side of the hill maybe 60-80? yards in some sparse timber and berry brush and holy catfish, there is a pretty nice set of antlers rotating slowly left and right below you about 45 yards! From your position, you're really not sure if the bull is bedded or not and you cannot see the cows. H = you/hunter, W = wind/thermal direction, and C = the ladies. That's all you get and yep, these situations do occur if you use cover, concealment, and the wind to your advantage when moving towards vocal elk. Now, what's your game plan to try and bring a bull home for dinner?

Oh yah, if you decide to "shoot" in any of these scenarios, reminder that if you save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, you'll be able to place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline treeclimber2852

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Elk Tactics 2017 - Episode #1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
Wind is right, good cover...I would move a bit closer...behind that big tree really really slowly.  Once behind that big tree, I see if I can determine his orientation (standing or bedded).  If bedded, I wait him out...if standing, I check the lanes, draw behind the tree, ease around and put one through the boiler room.  He's obviously got his attention on the ladies, if for no other reason than out of pure curiosity.  I'm using that to my full advantage.  I hate steep downhill shots, but I'll aim for the heart and if I end up a bit high, I still get a double lung out of it. 

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
Being that we are behind the elk in the picture can't really put marker for arrow placement....

That said, I would take my time and look very carefully for any movement from where cows are bedded as well as 180* around the bull, never know where  that ninja cow is bedded down.  If I have a clear shot to get to heart and at bare Min Double lung him from location H I will take the shot.  I do not like how narrow the lane is, but moving to the right in the image puts me more behind him and when he gets up will likely (murphy's law) end up facing directly away from me.

Wind is in my favor for now, If no shot I wait him out a bit, they like to get up and check the harem and will be ready when he stands up.  Worst case if the thermals might start to swirl, I may go to full draw and put out a really soft cow call and see what happens, he should at least stand up and if clear the splinter.  I would rather spook them out from sounds/sight than let them get wind of me in their bedding area.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
45 yards is a chip shot.....wind is good and the thermals shouldn't change for a while, unless there is a front coming in.  I would wait him out.  When he stands or presents a shot, I would take it.  As it shows now, It looks like it will be a slight quartering away (prefered shot) shot.  put it behind the shoulder and let her rip tater chip.   :tup: 

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
pass missing eyegaurd .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »
pass missing eyegaurd .
:yeah:
And short thirds!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI