collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WA pronghorn survey next week  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: WA pronghorn survey next week
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
Hopefully the free "bumps" will snag a few volunteers. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
Definitely need a polar  and probably two or three more threats

Wow. What do threats from polar bears have to do with hairnets?
Can you please keep this thread on track for the sake of.... oh never mind. :chuckle:
yeah Jackelope! I would enjoy helping with something like this. despite the polar bear threats
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
Yes, agreed. My bad. Let's get this back on track. It's a good cause. Please report any pronghorn sightings in the areas noted above to assist the folks from SCI and WDFW.

Last survey was 147 animals back in 2015. The hope is to eclipse that number this year.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
Was the original number of animals introduced 100? what year was the original planting done? I know there was at least one other thread on the subject but I can't seem to find it.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline wa.hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
Thanks Josh for another tread.  We are always getting rumors that there are antelopes a lot of places. I have been told that there are a few up at Satus Pass, over in the Klickitat Wildlife area, also in YTC. I saw some pics of the ones up at Waterville and did not see collars on some of them..Raises the question as to why no collars, as all of the ones released by the Colville Tribe had collars. These transplants are occurring due to tribal efforts also. There are also some still on the Yakama Nation lands where the original transplant took place. This area will be surveyed by Tribal individuals and the plane on Thursday the 27th.
We would like to know about any you see. Next year we are hoping to be able to get collars on as many groups as we can find to better keep track of what is happening.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
Our eyes are peeled for speed goats. :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
Thanks Josh for another tread.  We are always getting rumors that there are antelopes a lot of places. I have been told that there are a few up at Satus Pass, over in the Klickitat Wildlife area, also in YTC. I saw some pics of the ones up at Waterville and did not see collars on some of them..Raises the question as to why no collars, as all of the ones released by the Colville Tribe had collars. These transplants are occurring due to tribal efforts also. There are also some still on the Yakama Nation lands where the original transplant took place. This area will be surveyed by Tribal individuals and the plane on Thursday the 27th.
We would like to know about any you see. Next year we are hoping to be able to get collars on as many groups as we can find to better keep track of what is happening.

Have they been around long enough to reproduce?  :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
WA pronghorn survey next week
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »

Have they been around long enough to reproduce?  :dunno:

They were first reintroduced in January 2011. Some of the does were pregnant then and had fawns. In 2015 there were 147 counted so the population increased by 48 from the initial run.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
Josh, 

Being alot of this land is private how do they intend to count animals? Air? Driving?

I grew up with Many people who own tons of land out there, moons and bybee farms to be exact.  I will gladly go out and look for some goats. 

Gonna take my rifle in case some coyotes need thinned. 

Just to add I have seen many fawns so the population is doing well from what I have seen.   
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
Being alot of this land is private how do they intend to count animals? Air? Driving?
Both air and ground counts.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Josh, 

I grew up with Many people who own tons of land out there, moons and bybee farms to be exact.  I will gladly go out and look for some goats. 

Gonna take my rifle in case some coyotes need thinned. 

Just to add I have seen many fawns so the population is doing well from what I have seen.   

Yeah, like Bob said, they have a plane lined up. Also big optics, etc. A lot of "road hunting" for them I think. If you want to help, send wa.hunter a pm and he'll be able to provide some more info in that regard.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
There are folks out looking today. If anyone has any specifics, please send me a pm and let me know. Thank you!

Offline wa.hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
A couple groups of us went out yesterday to see what we could find and prepare for Thursday and Friday. We attempted to cover some of the area to the east of Hi-82 however it is a lot of ground and private too. We were not lucky in finding them there. On hi-way 221 from Prosser to Paterson we were successful in finding a group of 44. Weather was pretty bad with fog and snow. Surprisingly we could identify 4 ear tags in the group, could have been more. These would have been from the original release that came from [99 we released]  Nevada. 10 of them were bucks that still had their horns and 2 had shed their horns.
We know there are a lot more over there. Just where is the hard part as travel was difficult do to snow drifts on some roads and vast area to locate them in.
Will keep you posted on what we find with the flights too.
Any new sightings would be appreciated.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 07:06:39 PM »
Bump. Survey is happening Thursday and Friday. Any new sightings, please send either myself or wa.hunter a pm.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU