collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 147769 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
Weather day here in Sitka, thought I'd share a couple of pics of a small black cod (sablefish) trip that was landed yesterday.  The closest rack has the highest value 7#+ carcasses on it.  These are some pretty valuable fish, closely managed by a individual harvest share quota system.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
Nice! I fished blackcod out of Kodiak one year. We made 10 day trips about 50 miles out. Had about  70 tubs of gear and used an auto-baiter which I came to hate. Was a slave driving machine. One of the coolest things I've ever seen out fishing happened while I was on that boat. We rode out a 50 kt storm one night, jogging in circles to stay close to our gear. Daylight the storm came down just before daylight and we were just drifting. At daylight, we noticed that we were surrounded by whales. Must have been close to 50 of them including one that was laying right under our bow. I wish I had pictures, but didn't have a camera that trip. They must have been tired riding that storm out too.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
I've heard that about autobaiters  :chuckle:

Whales are a big problem for the black cod fleet now.  Sperm whales in particular have learned to key in on the hydraulics turning on when they're hauling gear.  There's a pretty amazing video of one basically flossing his teeth with the groundline as it comes up, popping the cod off in his mouth.

It's gotten so bad in the last few years there's a sperm whale sighting network so fisherman can try to avoid the darn things.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
That's amazing a whale would do that!
IAFF #3728

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »

Whales are a big problem for the black cod fleet now.  Sperm whales in particular have learned to key in on the hydraulics turning on when they're hauling gear.  There's a pretty amazing video of one basically flossing his teeth with the groundline as it comes up, popping the cod off in his mouth.

It's gotten so bad in the last few years there's a sperm whale sighting network so fisherman can try to avoid the darn things.

Skillet,good to see fishing is working out for you. You mentioned auto baiter  being slave drivers,I have a different opinion of them,they're great. We used to hand bait on this boat,got up to 305 tubs @ 225 hook a tub 68,000 hooks using 30 crew,that was hard work. We switched to an auto baiter cut the crew down to 22-23 guys and now we are setting 74,000 hooks everyday,it's a lot easier on the crew.we use less bait,we used to take 225,000-250,000lbs of squid a trip,now we take 90,000-120,000. Thank god the whales don't like cod.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
Thanks man, it's been a great ride so far.  I just wrote some insurance pool checks today, so that takes some of the shine off of it tho  :chuckle:

We're not getting many fishing days - I went and tried it in 25 SW and 18' today, but just too big of water for effectively trolling kings in my boat. Coming down to 15kts and 11' tomorrow - easy!

Still, 90k# of bait... I thought I was staring down a big winter season bait bill at 6-8 doz herring a day  :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2017, 09:04:38 PM »

Skillet,good to see fishing is working out for you. You mentioned auto baiter  being slave drivers,I have a different opinion of them,they're great. We used to hand bait on this boat,got up to 305 tubs @ 225 hook a tub 68,000 hooks using 30 crew,that was hard work. We switched to an auto baiter cut the crew down to 22-23 guys and now we are setting 74,000 hooks everyday,it's a lot easier on the crew.we use less bait,we used to take 225,000-250,000lbs of squid a trip,now we take 90,000-120,000. Thank god the whales don't like cod.

It's not the baiting that is a problem with them. If they aren't "tuned" perfectly they tear up gear. So you spend your extra time rehabbing gear. Ours was way out of "tune",
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »

It's not the baiting that is a problem with them. If they aren't "tuned" perfectly they tear up gear. So you spend your extra time rehabbing gear. Ours was way out of "tune",

You probably were using a Marco system. These newer Mustad super baiters are pretty nice,I can set at 8.2-8.5kts baiting about 3-4 hooks a sec and still get a 98% bait up. We've done black cod using the auto baiter but it just doesn't fish as well as tub gear,plus we're just too big for that small quota.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2017, 09:51:29 PM »
Yes, it was a Marco.

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2017, 06:53:16 AM »
Any video of the auto baiter? New to me, never knew they existed.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »

Really cool video. I never knew..............
Gen:27:3

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
Thanks Sitka BT, I had no idea that was even possible. It's a long way from my little earth worms!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
Cool video of the auto baiter! 

Coming in tonight with a two-day trip of winter kings and some nice bonus yelloweye rockfish.   Thought I'd share a pic of the goods-
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
You sell your yelloweye to Sitka Sound Seafoods Skillet? I get a 25 lb box of fillets from them every year. A buddy of mine is a herring spotter pilot and when he goes to Sitka he gets me a box and I trade him a Copper River King for them.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal