collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 147795 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
Wow, glad you and the Diamond Lil are okay!  Really scary, just that much worse to go through that by yourself and in the dark.  That's beyond pucker factor. 

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
As one who has been through it more than once, I appreciate what you went through Skillet.  There are times when you want to give up, but you know if you take even a small break, you're done for.  It's all survival mode.  One thing I've noticed is how focused you can be when your rear end is on the line.  But I've also known people who panicked from the danger and were unable to function.  You really find out what you are made of in times like these.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2017, 11:24:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind sentiments fellas, I appreciate it.

I didn't need to read that, Skillet. I don't like your little adventure so much anymore!

Blame Boss300winmag - he asked for it!

As one who has been through it more than once, I appreciate what you went through Skillet.  There are times when you want to give up, but you know if you take even a small break, you're done for.  It's all survival mode.  One thing I've noticed is how focused you can be when your rear end is on the line.  But I've also known people who panicked from the danger and were unable to function. You really find out what you are made of in times like these.

I think this is absolutely true. I used to think that "tough" meant physically dominating, able to withstand pain, etc.  I look at it completely differently now.  Tough is a measurement of mental fortitude.  Are you a quitter?  Do you "shut down"?  Can you push through?  "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" has a whole new meaning to me now.

I'm still not tough compared to many I respect by my old definition.  But in taking on commercial fishing as a career/lifestyle, I have discovered that when forced to perform under extreme circumstances, I was not disappointed to find out what I was made of.  Unfortunate that it took me this long in life to have the opportunity to prove out what I had always suspected, but grateful I finally did. 

I really wish that every young man got the chance to test himself to an extreme where the risk is real.  100 years ago, that was nearly a daily occourance. Sadly, in our overly-litigious modern society, those opportunities are nearly non-existent.  But they are still there if one looks, especially to the north. 
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »
My first opener was on the fairweather grounds. If memory serves me, we boated 76 kings that first day. Spent a lot of time in lityua bay either because of weather or waiting out openers. Is the shrimping and crabbing still good? What an amazing place. We spent a halibut opener in there because of the weather and decided to see if we could catch some just out of boredom. We ended up catching around 40 just inside the entrance, all cookie cutter 30 lbers. I actually made a couple hundred bucks.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
Skillet, do you know Tele and Joel on the Nerka? I watched them both perform at Fisher/Poets in Astoria this weekend. Very powerful writers and they both told their stories from the heart. They were my two favorite performers from the weekend.

Well, Ray Troll and the Ratfish Wranglers were pretty good too.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2017, 11:51:41 PM »
Skillet, do you know Tele and Joel on the Nerka? I watched them both perform at Fisher/Poets in Astoria this weekend. Very powerful writers and they both told their stories from the heart. They were my two favorite performers from the weekend.

Joel and Tele are friends; they are of the finest kind.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2017, 02:15:22 AM »

Joel and Tele are friends; they are of the finest kind.

From the stories they told, I'd have to agree.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
 I enjoy reading about commercial fishing. A couple of books I've read that I thought were pretty good are: "Hard to the Wind" by Russ Hofvendahl and "We all choke the same Herring" by Vince Cameron. Thanks for the stories on this thread!

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2017, 01:33:11 PM »
Unbelievable read Skillet!

Offline nontypical176

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
Good read.  20 years ago I went up on a perse sein boat for a season.  It was cool and gives you a totally different outlook on life.  Would have went back but I lost 15 lbs to sea sick, so one season was enough.  It's funny all the scary stories from up there are on the boats.  My scariest moments were flying into and out of OldHarbor village.   The turbulence, animals, fog, rain and unimproved runways up there make just getting to the fishing grounds a real adventure.    I Was the last flight out of the village for 2 weeks due to weather and it was ugly when I left.   The young native kid on our boat lost half his family in boat accidents, he is the only living male left and still fishes. 

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »
Here's a commercial fishing reality no matter the fishery you're involved in - boatyard work.  The Diamond Lil went on the hard today; the drudge work begins now.

When fish catching season is over, cash spending season begins in earnest -
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »
So here is a true fishing story from one of the people I asked Skillet about, above. I received permission from her to share this.  It was my favorite story at Fisher/Poets last weekend in Astoria. This is a recording from an earlier Fisher/Poet show in Bellingham.  A coming of age story of sorts. It brings out the heavy responsibilities thrust upon those of us who grew up in fishing families and the realities of making mistakes. 

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
What are you getting done, Skillet?
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »

It's a long list, but the primary jobs are fresh bottom paint, doing a new fiberglass fish hold liner, chip and paint all the small rust spots, cut out and replace some steel on the topsides, clean up some wiring, scrub and paint engine room. 

It's gong to be a lot of hours.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »

It's a long list, but the primary jobs are fresh bottom paint, doing a new fiberglass fish hold liner, chip and paint all the small rust spots, cut out and replace some steel on the topsides, clean up some wiring, scrub and paint engine room. 

It's gong to be a lot of hours.
Sounds like you are really enjoying the time off after a very long season.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal