collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 147735 times)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #465 on: May 22, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
We've had two openers on the Copper River.  It's still pretty slow, but good prices so far. $14/lb for kings and $10 for sockeye on the first opener. It dropped to $10/lb for kings and $6 for reds on the second opener.

First opener my kings averaged 24 lbs, second opener only 17 lbs.  My sockeyes have been running 6 lbs.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #466 on: May 22, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
Good deal. Sounds like the fish are a bit healthier and a good price. Let’s hope they keep coming this year.

Offline WAElkhunter89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live
« Reply #467 on: May 22, 2019, 10:33:44 PM »
We've had two openers on the Copper River.  It's still pretty slow, but good prices so far. $14/lb for kings and $10 for sockeye on the first opener. It dropped to $10/lb for kings and $6 for reds on the second opener.

First opener my kings averaged 24 lbs, second opener only 17 lbs.  My sockeyes have been running 6 lbs.

Are you selling Copper River Salmon? Currently deployed overseas, but would love to have some in the freezer for when I get home.
Ain't nothing better than the adrenaline you get when seeing an animal in the wild.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #468 on: June 05, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
Just a quick update from the WA coast -

Been out fishing the Prairie last few days, doing alright.  Fishing is pretty scratchy with the occasional big day.  The amount of bait out here is good, with bait profile leaning towards 6" herring.  We just have to have hooks in the water when the fish roll through. I have gotten a few clatters of fish with huge herring in them however, so I keep a few big spoons down.

Couple quick pics for you guys (jumbo king, big bait ball, deadly big-bait spoon), then back to work boxing up fish!
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #469 on: June 05, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
How bigs that jumbo?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #470 on: June 05, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
Mid to high 20's gilled and gutted I'm guessing. A touch over 40" long.   I'll scale that it tonight while I'm boxing fish.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #471 on: June 05, 2019, 11:36:35 AM »
Mid to high 20's gilled and gutted I'm guessing. A touch over 40" long.   I'll scale that it tonight while I'm boxing fish.

Need my address again to slap on that box?

:chuckle:
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #472 on: June 05, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »

Fantastic. That's a great fish.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2019, 11:42:08 AM »

Need my address again to slap on that box?

:chuckle:

Great offer of help, but this one already has a home. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I need to get rid of another big one down the road.  Better than planting roses on it  :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #474 on: June 05, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
 :drool: That's awesome at least your not throwing them in the ditch like some others
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #475 on: June 05, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »

These are the fish we spend all this time and money to get after.  Got her on that big hammered gold spoon.  I actually felt the poles shake the boat when she realized she was hooked and not happy about it. It was a great battle at the back of the boat, several runs to the very end of the 3 fathom leader before I got her head turned.  Feeling the power in a big one that you're fighting by hand is a rush. Sensing that line zipping out through your gloved fingers, knowing if you don't put enough pressure on she's going to run you out of line and pull the hook out, but too much pressure and you'll do the same thing prematurely, the hand-to-fin combat... There's nothing else like it.  After She was done running, she charged the wire and put a wrap on it, but I unclipped the leader and fed it around the wire just before she yanked against it.  I muscled her into the current seam coming off the back of the boat and just as her head touched the surface it was met with a terrific blow from my gaff.  Flipped the gaff, stuck her, then almost needed to two-hand her aboard. 

And to think, just 30 years ago this was a "meh" fish.

I'll admit, I don't get many fish like this every year, and when I take a big warrior like this (adipose intact, so possibly a wild one) it is bittersweet.  I am grateful for every fish's ultimate sacrifice to my livelihood, and when I best a warrior like this it makes me pause and give thanks.  It is the memories of battles like these that keep the fishing fire stoked for the long months to come.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #476 on: June 05, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »

These are the fish we spend all this time and money to get after.  Got her on that big hammered gold spoon.  I actually felt the poles shake the boat when she realized she was hooked and not happy about it. It was a great battle at the back of the boat, several runs to the very end of the 3 fathom leader before I got her head turned.  Feeling the power in a big one that you're fighting by hand is a rush. Sensing that line zipping out through your gloved fingers, knowing if you don't put enough pressure on she's going to run you out of line and pull the hook out, but too much pressure and you'll do the same thing prematurely, the hand-to-fin combat... There's nothing else like it.  After She was done running, she charged the wire and put a wrap on it, but I unclipped the leader and fed it around the wire just before she yanked against it.  I muscled her into the current seam coming off the back of the boat and just as her head touched the surface it was met with a terrific blow from my gaff.  Flipped the gaff, stuck her, then almost needed to two-hand her aboard. 

And to think, just 30 years ago this was a "meh" fish.

I'll admit, I don't get many fish like this every year, and when I take a big warrior like this (adipose intact, so possibly a wild one) it is bittersweet.  I am grateful for every fish's ultimate sacrifice to my livelihood, and when I best a warrior like this it makes me pause and give thanks.  It is the memories of battles like these that keep the fishing fire stoked for the long months to come.

Great description of an epic king salmon fight. I always loved that part of fishing in AK, albeit a little different than what you're doing. The fish are what keep us all coming back, and rare instances where paths cross with special ones keep the fire burning.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #477 on: June 05, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »
Just got this vid sent to me by a buddy fishing out on the Prairie right now.  It's the crew's first time running gear this year, so don't bust his berries too bad for being slow - I've already done enough of that for all of us. :chuckle:

KABOOM Count - 1

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #478 on: June 05, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
WOW love those Kings! Have reeled in a few like that out there. Will make it back out there in July hope they are still coming through then! Best of luck with the rest of the season hope its a good one!

Thanks for sharing!  :tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #479 on: June 05, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Just got another great vid of Joey landing a nice king a few minutes ago.  Darn near a live stream from the decks of F/V Majestic IV out on the Prairie !  :chuckle:

KABOOM Count - 1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]