collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 147722 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #600 on: March 27, 2020, 10:10:56 PM »
That's great news.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #601 on: March 27, 2020, 10:22:34 PM »
Great to hear.  Scary stuff

Online Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #602 on: March 27, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Hey guys, just wanna make a quick solicitation for some prayers.  My buddy Kelsey on the FV Tamarack is taking on water in Cross Sound right now.  A few boats are enroute and CG is almost there. I'm sure it will be alright.

Please throw him a mention to the big man tonight.  It can't hurt, and I'd appreciate it.

A buddy's boat in Kodiak recently had the same problem 40 miles off Kodiak during their Tanner Crab season. Coast guard dropped pumps to them to and guarded them back to town.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #603 on: March 27, 2020, 10:54:37 PM »
Hey guys, just wanna make a quick solicitation for some prayers.  My buddy Kelsey on the FV Tamarack is taking on water in Cross Sound right now.  A few boats are enroute and CG is almost there. I'm sure it will be alright.

Please throw him a mention to the big man tonight.  It can't hurt, and I'd appreciate it.

A buddy's boat in Kodiak recently had the same problem 40 miles off Kodiak during their Tanner Crab season. Coast guard dropped pumps to them to and guarded them back to town.

Few years back, i forget what the deal was but it was one of the very rare times we were running light boat to alaska.  No barge behind us, so we were very manueverable.  Just before mudge there was a yacht clearly sinking, but no distress calls had been made.  We got up there, broke out the scow pump, stsrted pumping them out and made the distress calls.  Our pump was just enough to keep them sfloat until the cg could arrive with more pumps.  In the mesn time we got the old man, his wife, and their dog on board.  The old lady was really nice, but the old man, grumpy ass, not even so much as a thanks.  He seemed pissed.  Im convinced it was an intentionsl sinking of a crappy boat either for an insurance payout, or to dispose of the wife or the rat dog, probably all of the above

Online Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #604 on: March 27, 2020, 11:35:30 PM »

Few years back, i forget what the deal was but it was one of the very rare times we were running light boat to alaska.  No barge behind us, so we were very manueverable.  Just before mudge there was a yacht clearly sinking, but no distress calls had been made.  We got up there, broke out the scow pump, stsrted pumping them out and made the distress calls.  Our pump was just enough to keep them sfloat until the cg could arrive with more pumps.  In the mesn time we got the old man, his wife, and their dog on board.  The old lady was really nice, but the old man, grumpy ass, not even so much as a thanks.  He seemed pissed.  Im convinced it was an intentionsl sinking of a crappy boat either for an insurance payout, or to dispose of the wife or the rat dog, probably all of the above

Wow!
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #605 on: March 28, 2020, 03:11:12 AM »
Last report is the Tamarack made it to Pelican.  He's got a big issue to deal with, but safe for now.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #606 on: March 28, 2020, 03:25:46 AM »
👍👍 Good to know he is safe.  Where are you in this.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #607 on: March 30, 2020, 06:54:22 PM »

I was just getting the info from the stand-by vessel, the Pacific Bounty.  That's the boat I longline on in the winter.

Here's a link to the vid from the chopper of the CG dropping the dewatering pump down for them.  Kinds neat, especially since it ended so well  :tup:

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/744748/coast-guard-good-samaritan-assist-vessel-taking-water-near-sitka-alaska#
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #608 on: March 30, 2020, 07:06:30 PM »
Cool vid.

Sobering vid right there. Serious business every day.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #609 on: March 30, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »

I was just getting the info from the stand-by vessel, the Pacific Bounty.  That's the boat I longline on in the winter.

Here's a link to the vid from the chopper of the CG dropping the dewatering pump down for them.  Kinds neat, especially since it ended so well  :tup:

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/744748/coast-guard-good-samaritan-assist-vessel-taking-water-near-sitka-alaska#
Neat now that you know the ending is right! I would need some new shorts....

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #610 on: April 14, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
Hey folks, thought I'd give a quick update on the commercial fishing up here in AK.  We're fishing, with some modifications related to quarantining crew coming in from out of state, restricted internation between the plants and the fishing boats, etc.  Another thing that is it interesting is the prices are still workable, and enough for us to keep working. The plants are basically flash freezing everything outside of solid orders for fresh, hoping for a market rebound in the near future. We're down to just a handful of flights a week out of Sitka; normally we'd be packing the bellies of three planes a day with fresh fish. It's a crazy time.

I'm heading out tomorrow to help a friend catch some black cod.  He's got 11k# of quota, should take us about 2-3 days if all goes well.  His spots that we're going to hit are from 300-500 fathoms deep.  I'm going to try and take some vids while I'm out there to show the system we'll be using. It's referred to as "snap gear", and that basically means you are feeding the longline off the back of the boat and snapping individual baited hooks on it as it pays out.  The hooks we're using are SS 13/0 offset circle hooksb on swivels.

I took a few pictures of the baiting process today. We spent about 20 man-hours starts to finish to bait up all the gear with 700# of Pollack.

First pic is Dania shooting ice into the hold.
2nd pic is cut bait on the hatch ready to be baited.
3rd pic is a baited hook.  This is a particular type of snap gear is called "tube gear", which uses a short length of hose hog ringed to the snap and swiveled hook.
4th pic is the baited hooks in a tray.  As we set, we'll take the snaps out off the trays and snap them on the line as it pays out.
5th pic is of a "perfectly" baited hook.  You can see it just under the skin of the Pollack.  This makes sure the hook point can easily find itself into the corner of the cod's mouth when he starts slurping on it.

Hope to have a few vids for you when we get back to town.

:tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #611 on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:46 PM »
Glad yall are getting out and can do some fishing. Always love the pic's and keep safe.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #612 on: April 15, 2020, 07:23:52 AM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #613 on: April 15, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
Spent 3 summers in  the late 80s working on the Valle Lee out of Sitka (Based in Port Angeles) trolling and we would hit the halibut opening on occasion, weather permitting.

@plugger
I'm actually fishing on the Valle Lee this trip.  You got your initials carved in anywhere on this old tub?   :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #614 on: April 15, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »
Sweet pics!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan