collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multiple tags Drawn  (Read 19748 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
I think someone with two permits should be able to fill both.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline sumpnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »
Either let the hunter fill both, or run the draw such that if you draw quality you can't also draw bull/buck or antlerless.

Or do what M_ray suggested and make people pick only one category per species.  Those that want the trophy bull tags won't be in the way of guys like me that would rather get a cow than a rutted out bull anyway since the cows taste better and antlers are a minimal motivator.

I don't care all that much what gets done, but something to improve the draw odds would be nice.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »
Limiting category choices reduces revenues unless the application fee is raised.

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »
The last three guys I know who have drawn bull tags also drew cow tags the same year. Seems too common.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »
Easy solution.

Just let the tags be filled. If you draw multiple Elk tags, you get to fill multiple elk tags.

Sounds great but the reality is that most will not even hunt for a cow given a bull permit in their pocket. I shot a cow last year in the muzzy season and passed several legal 3 point or better bucks in Wa and ate the tag because I didn't need the meat. I can see people doing the same once one of the tags are filled  :dunno:  Who needs or has the space for two elk? I know some will be the exception to the rule but many hunters will not take two elk even given the chance.

The one time I did draw a cow tag I shot a bull opening day of Early Archery.  That filled our elk freezer so the wife did not use her tag during early.  Found someone to take the year prior elk meat day before late season ended so we took a few hours on the last day and filled the wife's with a cow.  Using my cow points to shoot a bull doesn't bother me much.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
Just my 2 cents but i don't mind drawing multiple tags at once.If i draw bull and cow and i don't see a bull i will see a cow.If i don't have that bull tag and see a bull well you know how that is.just like all the people of the state that buy the full DEAL with discounted small game.If you don't and you see a bear or cougar you wish you did.Sure you want the bull over the cow but filling the freezer is just the same.Who on here got bull never saw a bull and still got a tag and was pleased that they did?                OH MAH DID
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Browndawg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
Glad I saw this. I've got 6 points for each, and I'd hate to draw multiple. I'm thinking I just might put in for Antlerless and buy points for the Quality and Bull. I'd hate to have to switch units to hunt for a Quality Bull, and eat all my Antlerless points in the unit I usually hunt. West Side Guy.
With odds of drawing a quality permit with six points quite low, I'd think twice about sitting out a year for the very unlikely possibility of drawing multiple permits.
Not planning on sitting out. Paying for the point saver, or "ghost", if I'm understanding the terminology.
I've been putting in for quality bull as a point saver the last few years because the draw I want is on the east side. I hunt the west side. If I put my points in for an East side draw, I have to hunt the east side whether I draw it or not. Stupid rule for my circumstances but I get it.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
I would consider applying for a point only as sitting out as you have no chance of drawing.  :twocents:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »
Easy solution.

Just let the tags be filled. If you draw multiple Elk tags, you get to fill multiple elk tags.

Sounds great but the reality is that most will not even hunt for a cow given a bull permit in their pocket. I shot a cow last year in the muzzy season and passed several legal 3 point or better bucks in Wa and ate the tag because I didn't need the meat. I can see people doing the same once one of the tags are filled  :dunno:  Who needs or has the space for two elk? I know some will be the exception to the rule but many hunters will not take two elk even given the chance.

I know a lot of people who could use that meat.  Friends, Family, Hunting buddies with bad luck, etc. 

Lets say you draw a quality and a bull tag, you wouldn't fill both tags if you could?
You have a modern cow and a modern quality tag, 2 separate seasons, I'd love to be in the woods hunting elk that long, who wouldn't?
Or a bull and a cow tag, you see a cow and fill that tag, now your set for meat and can still hunt for that bull of a lifetime knowing your set up if it doesn't happen. You can be picky with no worries about an empty freezer.

I'm just saying make it an option to fill both, right now your just screwed out of a tag
If it's our choice, and you don't need the meat, than don't fill the tag.  At least the choice was yours, not the DFW's.

This is the rub, although you may not mind having two elk many would not even want to or have room for two elk. Most wont make the "CHOICE" to take two and lots of tags go unused.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Browndawg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
I would consider applying for a point only as sitting out as you have no chance of drawing.  :twocents:
That's what I'm talking about. Buy the point.  :tup:

Offline Joe Rothrock

• Tracker
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
While we're on the subject of points. I hope everyone keeps a watchful eye on they're accumulated points. I just logged on to my DFW account and am having some concerns about how many points are being used. In the past when you hit submit, the system told you how many points were used. Not the case now. However, today I was able to log on and see my points accumulation and luckily all the categories that I apply for are correct. Spring bear is a bit concerning. Last year I applied - not selected - 1 point. This year I applied - I believe 2 points should have been used - my account only shows 1 point????????? Also, I'm 51 years old, not a master hunter, and fortunately not disabled. Somehow I have up to as many as 9 points in the youth, disabled, 65 and over, and master hunter categories. Its a mystery to me. I realize that at times I act like a kid, and it won't be long til I'm 65, and there are days that I feel disabled. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and take advantage of the points when I become eligible. I hope everyone's points are in order. Good Luck!

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. Buy the point.  :tup:
That's not the way i understood bobs response but ok.  :chuckle:

Bob i agree with you buying it for points only=definitely not getting drawn.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
While we're on the subject of points. I hope everyone keeps a watchful eye on they're accumulated points. I just logged on to my DFW account and am having some concerns about how many points are being used. In the past when you hit submit, the system told you how many points were used. Not the case now. However, today I was able to log on and see my points accumulation and luckily all the categories that I apply for are correct. Spring bear is a bit concerning. Last year I applied - not selected - 1 point. This year I applied - I believe 2 points should have been used - my account only shows 1 point????????? Also, I'm 51 years old, not a master hunter, and fortunately not disabled. Somehow I have up to as many as 9 points in the youth, disabled, 65 and over, and master hunter categories. Its a mystery to me. I realize that at times I act like a kid, and it won't be long til I'm 65, and there are days that I feel disabled. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and take advantage of the points when I become eligible. I hope everyone's points are in order. Good Luck!

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,210304.msg2799467.html#msg2799467

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »
Either let the hunter fill both, or run the draw such that if you draw quality you can't also draw bull/buck or antlerless.

Or do what M_ray suggested and make people pick only one category per species.  Those that want the trophy bull tags won't be in the way of guys like me that would rather get a cow than a rutted out bull anyway since the cows taste better and antlers are a minimal motivator.

I don't care all that much what gets done, but something to improve the draw odds would be nice.
I'd much rather see the categories reduced to one, personally. That's what stared this whole mess.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
you could improve your draw odds by putting in other states,that being said my draw odds are better for me to draw something whether doe bull or cow if i put in for all.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]