collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Loud bow  (Read 8187 times)

Online Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Loud bow
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Anybody used any of the aftermarket stuff to quiet their bow down that you like and recommend? Bowjax, limbsaver add-ons etc? Most of this stuff gets mixed reviews, just wondering if any of it is worth buying to take some of the twang out of my bow.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Loud bow
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
A lot depends on the bow as to how much the dampening stuff works for it. I see more of an effect with Bowjax for limb and riser dampeners than Limbsavers. I leave my string bare, my string stop makes a big enough difference there.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:46:37 PM »
Take it to a pro shop. I know that Riverside Archery has helped me and others quiet down thier bows depending on the type.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline WARHORSE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »
A string stop hands down will help more then anything!

Online Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
Mine has the string stops near the cam and idler, can I add a normal string stop as well? Not much of a bow guy, just use it for multi deer

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
Adding some weight to your arrows will quiet the bow down as well. Are all of the parts right? Sight and rest and stabilizer? Also make sure the cam module is tight. A different stabilizer could help too.
Also some quivers can be noisy sobs

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
What brand and model is your bow? Having a good tuned can make the world of difference also loose bolts can make a bow loud. I've used limb saver products and like them.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
Like others have asked I would be curious as to the brand, that could help narrow it down.  My guess is the big culprit is the quiver and arrows in the quiver.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
It's a Mathews Drenalin. Quiver on or off doesn't seem to make much difference.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
Do you feel any vibration or hand shock when you shoot?  Mathews are traditionally pretty quiet and smooth at the shot.  I am thinking something must be loose or not adjusted right.  Maybe check the string stops at both ends.  I think some of those were prone to crack or the rubber bumpers may be worn.  Depending on how often you shoot you need to change those.  I had to change the ones on my switchback every couple of years.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
Take it to a pro shop. I know that Riverside Archery has helped me and others quiet down thier bows depending on the type.

:yeah: If you don't have a relationship with a pro shop, develop one.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
No reason a new Matthew's should make a bunch of noise.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »
No reason a new Matthew's should make a bunch of noise.
I think he said it is a Drenalin, so an older Mathews.

Mathews bows are quiet so it should be fixable.  I am sure a trip to a good pro shop would remedy the situation.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:56:27 AM by Rainier10 »

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »
I shoot an OLD switchback and it's damn quiet.

Confucius

Online Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »
Is there a good shop within a reasonable drive from Yakima? I took it to mike at Grizzly archery, he put new string and cables on it last fall. Heck of a nice guy but didn't have much input on any of the aftermarket stuff, nor is he a Mathews dealer. Seems like he might be more into the traditional stuff maybe. Also it's a pretty smooth shot, no vibration in my hand. I'll try new string stops and go from there..

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
I shoot an OLD switchback and it's damn quiet.
I used to have one, great bow for sure.

Now I have a 70# z7 extreme and a 50# heliM, both with two piece quivers.  I think the heliM is louder than the extreme and I don't know why.  They are both quiet and I wouldn't say the heliM is loud, just not as quiet as the extreme.

I hunt with the extreme and target practice with the heliM.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Is there a good shop within a reasonable drive from Yakima? I took it to mike at Grizzly archery, he put new string and cables on it last fall. Heck of a nice guy but didn't have much input on any of the aftermarket stuff, nor is he a Mathews dealer. Seems like he might be more into the traditional stuff maybe. Also it's a pretty smooth shot, no vibration in my hand. I'll try new string stops and go from there..
Not sure of a shop close to you.  Check those string stop bumpers and see if they are torn or just really worn.  Also check if the brackets that hold them are not cracked or loose.

Offline wideleft

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
Have look checked to make sure your field points or broadheads are screwed in tight?  I add a dab of bowstring wax to the threads on all my points prior to assembly, this helps keep things nice and tight.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »

Mathews' website says either Sportsman's in E. Wenatchee or Kennewick Ranch & Home. https://www.mathewsinc.com/retail-locator?utf8=%E2%9C%93&retail_location%5Bpostal_code%5D=98902&retail_location%5Bcity%5D=yakima&retail_location%5Bstate%5D=Washington&retail_location%5Bdistance%5D=100&submit=Go
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
Mathews Drenalin- Check your specs BH 7", ATA 33" if I remember right and poundage, if you can tighten all screws to make sure that's not the cause also. Next add some rubber cat whiskers not those stupid Monkey Tails! Add weight to your arrow not knowing your arrows specs but knowing most folks they go lighter arrow to pick up speed. String stop but make sure your string is served where the stop will be added or it'll eat your string. My guess is your bow is out of spec or something is loose.  :tup:
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
If you would like I could tune it and see what I can do for you. I'm going to be starting a small shop in February if all goes well. I have draw board bow press and etc to tune. Located in selah.

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
Bullblaster has hit the nail on the head.  There is no modern bow brand that is markedly quieter than the other, it is all about arrow weight, accessories, and environment you're in (indoors bows sound louder than outdoors).  Stuff like empty quivers can become an echo chamber, sights and stabilizers can buzz string stops can slap.

A heavy arrow gives a slower but quiet bow and maintains the kinetic energy of the system.  A light arrow gives a faster but louder bow and maintains the KE of the system.  (KE = Mass x Velocity squared so you only have 2 variables to affect KE)

Offline Redbeard

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 09:05:37 PM »
Just throwing this out there ,,,, Check your string stops for any cracks. I have seen some and Mathews is warranting cracked ones no questions asked.

Online Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, looks like I'll try new string stops and having it tuned before I start putting limbsaver stuff on it. Demon that would be awesome I'm also in Selah, let us know if you get that shop opened up and I'll swing by

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 07:58:33 AM »
Will do. It's in the works.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
Getting close got to move some things around and clear out the shop. I'll have limited items tell I see if this will take off.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
I have a drenlin and it's pretty quiet. I have monkey tails and an sts string stop. I use a detachable quiver as I hate shooting with the quiver on. It was louder when I had the two piece quiver and the limb saver 3 in stab. I put limb saver broadband limb dampener on and it was a pretty good shooter. Haven't used it since getting a new bow and re-stringing it.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Tjv28

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
I know this is coming late in the train of advice, but last summer I couldn't figure out what was making the noise with my bow. I bought new string stops, stabilizers, etc. nothing worked. Then I got a new string. Problem solved.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I just replaced my cable guide because I had a scratchy/creaky vibration on the draw cycle and polishing the cable rod would only help for a short time.
I stumbled onto the Limbsaver teflon cable guide at Sportco and thought I'd give it a try.
Getting it on was a test of hand strength(I won!) and it solved the issue on the draw cycle.
My shooting partner has mentioned a couple of times how my bow now seems quieter on the shot and I'm noticing it too.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw