collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Favorite or best e caller  (Read 10491 times)

Offline Blackjaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Favorite or best e caller
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »
FoxPro or Wildlife Technologies

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
I'm still enamored with the Minaska e-callers, I have four right now.  Remotes hold 100 sounds and they are not callers specific, you can hang one around your neck and grab any of your callers and hunt. My Minaskas are pushing 10 yrs old with out a hiccup and most of the parts like battery holders and connector wires are readily available over the counter. 

I have bought and sold four FP's over the years and really detested the remote as I would have to put my reading glasses on at the stand to scroll through the sound list to pick the sound I wanted, I don't know how many trips back to the stand to find the glasses I laid alongside the chair I've made.  I did pick up a FP CS-24 with the numerical keypad remote, no need to read the remote just punch in the sound number and your ready to call.  The CS-24 is lighter than my Minaska Big Country so it does get used and the Big Country is working for my nephew in UT now,, he's young and strong.  I did win a FP Crossfire with the same numerical remote and it is an ok caller.  The remotes are way too complicated, to much to deal with compared to the Minaska remote.

My go to caller for long hikes is the Minaska M-1 Bandit, fits in a pocket, open country and thick cover the CS-24 and I'm just using the crossfire for an extra to get myself accustom to it.

Huge sound lists are very over rated, I use the same 12 sounds almost exclusively and all the extra do-dads on the remote just seem to screw up stands more for me than put fur on the boards.  Get a simple low cost, reliable caller and put the extra dollars in your gas tank it will put more fur on the boards than having 200 sounds, more than likely if the coyote is going to come in he's going to come regardless of which variation of the sound you use.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »
I'm into Foxpros's Have a Fury and the new Banshee bad azz call for $299.00. Ihunted with WS his Minaskas work very well. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
Good responses!  This is usually a sensitive topic due to people who apparently tie their worth as a human into what electronic caller they bought.  :)

There is no best but there are differences.  Like AWS, I have owned a Minaska M-1 for ten years or so, never sent it in for repair and have called cougars, black bears, lynx, wolves, bobcats and even coyotes with it.  At the time I bought it, it was the only e-caller that had the features I wanted, and since it has worked so well, I haven't kept up with the bells and whistles in the industry.  It is the only e-caller I've used that has never accidentally played the wrong sound when on a stand. 

I have hunted with friends who used Wildlife Tech calls, which were super loud and impressive. Have also used a Cass Creek, a Walmart boom box and FoxPros.  FoxPro dominates the market, somewhat like the McDonalds of e-callers.  They are aggressive marketers and have a fan base as passionate as Seahawks 12.  They make some good calls and my grandson just bought one.

Some of the main sounds I use are recordings I have made of myself making the sound with my voice or with a hand call, etc. so I want an e-caller that makes it easy to play my own sounds. Will add that IMO the precise sound is the least important factor in calling, at least if the sound is reasonably close.

Calling critters opens the door to a world of fun with many kinds of animals. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:19:11 PM by Okanagan »

Offline Ballance1

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • The Shed Taxidermy Studio
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
Fox pro fusion. I like having a bunch of sounds because the public ground gets pounded with the same 5 sounds. You can use sounds that aren't even related to the area your in and call in animals.

Offline Phishead

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »
I've been using a foxpro wildfire for a couple years. Like the programmable sounds but as mentioned earlier you end up using a half dozen. I dislike the fact you need to be within in 40-50yrds to work the remote. And that's with a clear elevated view.

Just bought the Icotec 320 call on Amazon. The price is right and the reviews are great. Main reason for the purchase is range. Saw a YouTube video where the guy used the remote to change calls at 300 yards.  I won't be hunting from that distance but having a remote that works is much better than the foxpro I have.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
I've been using a foxpro wildfire for a couple years. Like the programmable sounds but as mentioned earlier you end up using a half dozen. I dislike the fact you need to be within in 40-50yrds to work the remote. And that's with a clear elevated view.

Just bought the Icotec 320 call on Amazon. The price is right and the reviews are great. Main reason for the purchase is range. Saw a YouTube video where the guy used the remote to change calls at 300 yards.  I won't be hunting from that distance but having a remote that works is much better than the foxpro I have.

Just because you set up a long ways from the e-caller doesn't mean you plan on a long shot...   ;)

My old Minaska works well past 300 yards but some say mine is an extra good one with longer than usual range.   :dunno: 

Offline Phishead

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 02:04:55 PM »

Just because you set up a long ways from the e-caller doesn't mean you plan on a long shot...   ;)

My old Minaska works well past 300 yards but some say mine is an extra good one with longer than usual range.   :dunno:

agreed. I just hate not being able to rely on the foxpro range. I've heard it's better when its elevated. Seems like I'm ruining my hunts when I have to get up and move around to get in range of the call.  :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »
I wouldnt put it out that far. For me any way. On my way to Arizona  to the Arizona  state  championship.  Will be lots of Foxpro's  I know  Tony Tebbie will be there. I have a older Fury and the new Banshee  great remotes. The inferno has a better remote than the wildfire. Rick
RIP Colockumelk

Offline tecwoody

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
I ended up getting the primos alpha dog. Curious as to what kind of call sequence you guys do and how frequently. Went out today with no luck.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »
Have no clue about there sounds. Try bird this time of year. And Howling group too. also rodent. Rick
RIP Colockumelk

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
No sequences for me, just pick a sound and let it run.  Yesterday I made three stands in the morning and called in four and killed two.   One coyote came in to the call, I missed at 70 yards(took a marginal shot) and after running out about 200 yards he returned to the call, I missed again(at 150 again took a marginal shot thinking he had to spook) and again after running out about 200 yards  he turned and wanted to come back to the call and I killed him at 170 yards( this time waiting till he stopped and settled into the shot before I took it).  This was a big old male and I had put t two rounds into the dirt around him with a un-suppressed 22 Savage Highpower(30-30  necked to .228 55gr SP's) single shot having to break open the gun to reload with each shot and he still want to come to the "come eat me sound.

I think sometimes we make this far too difficult.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline tecwoody

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
Ok so you guys are just picking 1 sound and running it on a loop?

Offline NWghostgetter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 01:53:03 PM »
my FoxPro has been pretty good. only complaints are the cost and remote range. 100 yards unobscured is about max. I ordered an icotec gc500 and it should be here tomorrow. it was about half the cost of the average FoxPro and they advertise a 300 yard (non line-of-sight) remote range. ill test it out this week. I also use the MFK diaphragms and the tony tebbe green nasty open reed.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
We have a FOXPRO FX 3 that has been upgraded to FX 5.  The Prairie Blaster is too big.  Haven't used any others in a long, long time.  FX 5 works super, FX 3 worked fine too. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]