collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: blind vs running and gunning?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
blind vs running and gunning?
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
Really want to bag a turkey this next spring. Been studying up on the gobblers. Watching videos and what not. One thing that caught my attention was a comment made by a celebrity hunter lol western turkey hunting isn't sitting in a blind. Would be more like elk hunting moving around getting a location then setting up...? What are your thoughts...does it vary on what part of the state your hunting? Private land access??? Would love to get your guys two cents.... thanks -Jes

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: blind vs running and gunning?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:46 AM »
. Depends on what hunt you want
 Depends on what the birds are doing.

I have done both,  I found spot and stalk with selective calling to be the most rewarding.   

But sometimes you need to change up tactics, just like any other types of hunting. Let the animals dictate on what you need to do as a hunter. 

Both methods are proven lethal. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »
I am certainly no expert but I believe that if you are hunting with youth hunters a blind is the way to go.

If you are in an area with high density of turkeys it is the way to go. If you know their travel route and can setup near that or if you know where they roost and fly down to a blind is the way to go.  They totally conceal your movement.

I would think a blind on private property is better also, less chance of someone else messing with your setup.  Lots of guys running and gunning on public land, odds are high you will call one of them in from a stationary blind.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »
Not sure you'd want to do this on public land, but...
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jimmer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »
Put in the time and scout. I've hunted turkeys for over 18 years and my most successful way is to find the roost, come back the next morning and set up with a hen and Jake decoy within 100 yards VISIBLE to the roost. 90% of the time the Toms will be the first ones down to display themselves. It's a matter of seconds of them flying/running to your decoys. No need for a blind, keep movement to a minimum and find cover where your silhouette isn't exposed. Don't be afraid to get too close.
Haven't  touched a call in years.. :)
I rarely hunt turkeys for myself anymore. I usually take a family member or a friend if they want to shoot one. The excitement is gone. spot and stock, calling, taking them with a bow. The turkey population over here is insane and zero challenge anymore if that makes sense. A lot of farmers over here HATE them, getting into their winter hay stacks and imagine 300-400 turkeys in a corner of a winter wheat field, they don't nip off the tips like deer,  they pull the whole sprout.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:18:36 AM by Jimmer »

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the great info. Of course I'm taking on the task of archery hunting these suckers. Probably going to be  out there the opening week. Leaning more towards the idea of spot and stalk, and minimal calling if any...being my first year.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:17:16 PM »
Go ahead and call why not. Some of the worst hen calls I have ever heard was from an actual hen and where do ya think the Tom went with her and not me.

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 05:59:23 AM »
    When I was 16 and first started turkey hunting I loved to run and gun. Now at 34 and more experienced knowing where they are and their patterns, I like to use a blind. You can get away with much more movement in a blind and if you are thinking of using a bow then I highly recommend one. If you are easily bored and restless I recommend you run n gun. Whatever you choose be safe and good luck.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand