collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snow shoes?  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Snow shoes?
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »
Hey guys,
I've found my fair share of sheds over the years, but never really set out to go look for them, mostly stumbled across while hunting etc. my property boarders locked land which holds elk, deer (mule and whitetail), but mostly moose. The whole area (sq. Miles) has about 2-3' of snow right now. I know the major routes on ridges of moose in the area. Worth going up right now? Snow shoes? Recommendations of shoes? Or wait until snow melts a bit?
Thanks

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
Re: Snow shoes?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »
 Brother in law tried to go out on the ridge of his property with snow shoes the other day. With 4' of powder under the crust that he sank up to his waist in made it impossible to get around. This is west of Addy at 3800'.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Jimmer

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »
Brother in law tried to go out on the ridge of his property with snow shoes the other day. With 4' of powder under the crust that he sank up to his waist in made it impossible to get around. This is west of Addy at 3800'.
Thanks for the heads up.. I'm about 20 miles south of him, close to same elevation. Maybe I might wait a bit. damn I'm bored... :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:06:09 PM by Jimmer »

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
  They have not even tried a trip up to their cabin above Republic in the snowmobiles since early December.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
Make sure you do not stress the animals out by running them
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
Snowshoes are not created equal.  There are three critical factors that determine whether you walk on top or flounder worse than without snowshoes. 

1.  Size of the snowshoe.  Total surface area bearing on the snow.

2.  Weight of the snowshoer. 

It is a weight to surface area ratio:  the bigger the snowshoe in width and length, the less weight per square inch is pressing down on the snow surface.  Heavy people and people wearing packs need bigger snowshoes to stay on top or near the surface of snow.

3.  Texture of the snow.  Fine powder in deep cold is so light and fluffy it won't hold up much weight per square inch.  No mass market snowshoe will stay on top, but if it is not too deep, say more than thigh deep, it is possible to travel in it with long snowshoes.  Obviously, as the snow gets "stiffer" it will hold up a snow shoe better.  Snow with more moisture in it such as near the coast will settle down and bear more weight, and may freeze till a man can walk on it without snowshoes.  Crust is another factor, often making it easy to stay on the hard top but miserable if you are breaking through and thrusting snowshoes under the hard crust.

The trend nowadays is for small snowshoes that are easy to use.  They are fine for groomed trails but usually all but useless in backcountry snow until it compacts in spring.  Big snowshoes keep me on top in a wider variety of snow conditions, but they are harder on the user, more clumsy and make for sore muscles. 

A wide cross country ski is probably most efficient for a lot of back country snow conditions, but such skis are hard to find and take a little bit of learning. 

Sierra Trading Post in Silverdale had a super buy on large brand name snowshoes just before Christmas.

Offline Jimmer

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
Snowshoes are not created equal.  There are three critical factors that determine whether you walk on top or flounder worse than without snowshoes. 

1.  Size of the snowshoe.  Total surface area bearing on the snow.

2.  Weight of the snowshoer. 

It is a weight to surface area ratio:  the bigger the snowshoe in width and length, the less weight per square inch is pressing down on the snow surface.  Heavy people and people wearing packs need bigger snowshoes to stay on top or near the surface of snow.

3.  Texture of the snow.  Fine powder in deep cold is so light and fluffy it won't hold up much weight per square inch.  No mass market snowshoe will stay on top, but if it is not too deep, say more than thigh deep, it is possible to travel in it with long snowshoes.  Obviously, as the snow gets "stiffer" it will hold up a snow shoe better.  Snow with more moisture in it such as near the coast will settle down and bear more weight, and may freeze till a man can walk on it without snowshoes.  Crust is another factor, often making it easy to stay on the hard top but miserable if you are breaking through and thrusting snowshoes under the hard crust.

The trend nowadays is for small snowshoes that are easy to use.  They are fine for groomed trails but usually all but useless in backcountry snow until it compacts in spring.  Big snowshoes keep me on top in a wider variety of snow conditions, but they are harder on the user, more clumsy and make for sore muscles. 

A wide cross country ski is probably most efficient for a lot of back country snow conditions, but such skis are hard to find and take a little bit of learning. 

Sierra Trading Post in Silverdale had a super buy on large brand name snowshoes just before Christmas.
Thanks for the response, great info..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:47:28 PM by Jimmer »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
I have been using old school large military snow shoes and have been getting around pretty good. I'm 270 lbs plus my pack. Most the paddles will prob be under the snow since we got so much early this year I could be wrong. Saw a young buck last week with no head gear so I'm betting the deer are dropping in your area too. Best bet is go try it.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
:yeah:
More important than anything this time of year.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jimmer

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
Thanks for the concern guys. No elk in the area now and all the deer are in lower elevations. Moose may still be in the area. I've hunted eastern WA pretty much my whole life and encounter moose hundreds of times. I've yet to see 1 run from me. Maybe on occasion have had one trot 30 yards and turn around just to stand there. More times than none, I've had to take an alternate route when encountering moose due to them not wanting to move. I wouldn't jeopardize "running" the animals.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:48:34 PM by Jimmer »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »
Thanks for the concern guys. No elk in the area now and all the deer are in lower elevations. Moose may still be in the area. I've hunted eastern WA pretty much my whole life and encounter moose hundreds of times. I've yet to see 1 run from me. Maybe on occasion have had one trot 30 yards and turn around just to stand there. More times than none, I've had to take an alternate route when encountering moose due to them not wanting to move. I wouldn't jeopardize "running" the animals.
this is my experience as well
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter