collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: MF hunters get better dates again  (Read 23821 times)

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: MF hunters get better dates again
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
Where I hunt muzzleloader is almost right in the heart of the rut.  But the rut also runs from late august through late October.  Anyone who says rut is only in September must not spend much time out in the woods.  I hunt modern and am out every single week from mid august through mid November.  There is usually much more rut activity in early October then any other time.  At least where I hunt.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »
  The fact is the muzzy hunters made a good argument an got more opportunity.  Have to see how there harvest compares to others to really have an opinion.

Tell me how the Muzzy guys got more opportunity? The Muzzy season is 6 days long and is a Saturday thru the next Friday. Its been this way for over ten years now and hasnt changed but for some reason many Archers are under the impression that the Muzzy guys got more on the last 3 year plan.  :dunno:
Probably referring to the opening up of around twenty additional units for the early season.  IMO, they really got a pretty good win with that.

More GMU's in both early and late equal opportunity. 

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »
  The fact is the muzzy hunters made a good argument an got more opportunity.  Have to see how there harvest compares to others to really have an opinion.

Tell me how the Muzzy guys got more opportunity? The Muzzy season is 6 days long and is a Saturday thru the next Friday. Its been this way for over ten years now and hasnt changed but for some reason many Archers are under the impression that the Muzzy guys got more on the last 3 year plan.  :dunno:
Probably referring to the opening up of around twenty additional units for the early season.  IMO, they really got a pretty good win with that.

Yes you are right but its still only 6 days so what it boils down to is limited time in the field. With as expensive as this state is muzzy hunting is not the best value. I would be nice if it were at least to full weekends.
   :twocents:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »

More GMU's in both early and late equal opportunity.

Thats funny  :chuckle: Have you seen the late units? What are they? Almota, prescott, Alkili stuff like that? Not really your prime areas with large herds not to mention the areas they offer are mostly private so it doesnt really benifit the avarage hunter. It was just a way to say that the muzzy's got more but it isnt more for most its more for those with ground.  ;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
Where I hunt muzzleloader is almost right in the heart of the rut.  But the rut also runs from late august through late October.  Anyone who says rut is only in September must not spend much time out in the woods.  I hunt modern and am out every single week from mid august through mid November.  There is usually much more rut activity in early October then any other time.  At least where I hunt.

:tup: Yeah I have a spot that I really think the best time to hunt it with the most rutting activity is the 1st thru 10th of Oct. But it seems this is the exception not the rule compared to most other areas I hunt.  :dunno:

MB

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
I hunt on St. Helen's and every year I'm able to get bulls t o respond to my calling. Not a lot but enough to have good fun chasing them around trying to get close. Last year, the first year after they opened the unit to ML's I did not hear a bugle the entire season. I only saw two cows taken out of there during the two weeks I was there.

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
Ok, why is our state again providing special permit dates for MF hunters right in the middle of the best/prime rut dates? Also the ML's are also getting prime time hunts while archery keep getting pushed back on dates. This make absolutely no sense when these hunters can reach out so far with their weapons and archery hunters are so limited in their capabilities with the equipment we choose.
 I am so frustrated with this state, I am hunting Idaho where archery hunters get to actually hunt like they should!

Why do the archery hunters always get the general season during the rut?  Wouldn't it make sense to rotate the seasons to be fair to all - every third year your weapon of choice would be in september be it archery / ml / mf ???
. It's fair for you to be able to switch methods.

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
Modern Firearm elk and deer hunter for 40+ years.
I have always thought that the bow and M/L hunters had a big advantage.
Sure, you have to get closer, but the equipment's getting better.
And at that time the elk are less spooked and maybe rutting.
By the time my season rolls around things are pretty shook up where I hunt.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
I bet the elk are happy to see the seasons end.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
Sorry,l I missed this thread.  Here is how we calculated it and allocated permits.  It was done on a quality bull basis.  What is a quality bull?  We argued it's a 6 point or better.  Fact is, MF takes less quality bulls than archers statistically.  9 years ago MF got rut permits because their quality numbers are down.  Those numbers are better now, obviously.  Still, archers have no room to recommend a change to help big bulls survive in this circumstance.  If there is a bull problem, everyone across the board will take a hit as we are as close now as ever.  Archers do get a tiny bit more if you factor in 5 points, but we don't get smaller bulls.  Archers get a higher percentage of cows instead.  Generally one values a small bull more than a cow.  Archers need opportunity on cows when biologically possible to get our numbers within range.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
Makes sense to me

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
Paul, if you factor in special permits MF always take more quality bulls than the rest. I have posted the numbers on here multiple times. I was glad to see archers get some years closer to a better rut time but we still never see prime rut. Archery special draw tags should get time during prime time also. It is true that ML get better rut hunts than archery. I have hunted during all season dates and Sept 20 - Oct 15 or so are best rutting times to hunt.
Use fixed dates, Archery Sept 13-25, let archery permit holders get a couple more days past the 25th, then let MF permit holders have their time. ML permit holders can have their time in units non permit holders can't hunt. Then ML get their time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal