collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is in your pack cooking/food related?  (Read 19665 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: What is in your pack cooking/food related?
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
The thing about almost all instant coffee is, they way it's produced, makes it almost impossible to get a good solid cup of coffee.

Instant coffee is produced by either etremely high heat blasting the already brewed coffee where the water in the coffee gets evaporated as it falls through a tube and only the coffee solubles are left behind, or freeze dried using some very intense equipment and gases. Both these processes are hard on the coffee in terms of quality.

Besides the fact that you are just rehydrating already brewed coffee, almost all instant coffee available uses the cheapest coffee that can be bought. The production costs for these two processes are very high, so all of them offset the production cost with poor quality coffee. All will have commodity grade arabica or robusta.

I'm a firm believer in order to have good brewed coffee you must start with good green coffee. Good in good out! .... You can't have bad in and expect to get good out.

There's a product coming out very soon that's going to solve this problem! No more having to slug down disgusting rehydrated coffee, or having to settle for drinking a pre workout on the mountain just to get your caffeine.

Tony
TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!! :chuckle:
You're on the beta tester list, Karl! I'm out on paternity leave, but as soon as I'm back, we'll get some out to you.
I am truly excited man!  Thanks again!  Should be just in time for that spring bear tag I'm not gonna draw but one of my buddies will :chuckle: :'(
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
The thing about almost all instant coffee is, they way it's produced, makes it almost impossible to get a good solid cup of coffee.

Instant coffee is produced by either etremely high heat blasting the already brewed coffee where the water in the coffee gets evaporated as it falls through a tube and only the coffee solubles are left behind, or freeze dried using some very intense equipment and gases. Both these processes are hard on the coffee in terms of quality.

Besides the fact that you are just rehydrating already brewed coffee, almost all instant coffee available uses the cheapest coffee that can be bought. The production costs for these two processes are very high, so all of them offset the production cost with poor quality coffee. All will have commodity grade arabica or robusta.

I'm a firm believer in order to have good brewed coffee you must start with good green coffee. Good in good out! .... You can't have bad in and expect to get good out.

There's a product coming out very soon that's going to solve this problem! No more having to slug down disgusting rehydrated coffee, or having to settle for drinking a pre workout on the mountain just to get your caffeine.

Tony
You're on the beta tester list, Karl! I'm out on paternity leave, but as soon as I'm back, we'll get some out to you.
I know you don't know me...but I would be VERY interested in somehow helping out with testing.
My main backpacking/scouting partner (girlfriend) over the summer is a coffee snob and always complains about the via's.
Would love to help out with reviews.  :tup:

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »

Tony
I know you don't know me...but I would be VERY interested in somehow helping out with testing.
My main backpacking/scouting partner (girlfriend) over the summer is a coffee snob and always complains about the via's.
Would love to help out with reviews.  :tup:

X2 I'm always trying to try new instant coffee. Nestle is pretty cheap that's what I've been using
Coastal Perspective.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
Here is what I used last year, it is pretty good, extremely light and good flavor.

https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emergency_Survival_Coffee_Sample_p/00020.htm

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
I'm trying out this mushroom instant coffee, heard about it from the ben greenfield fitness podcast. Only has about 40mg caffeine per serving but has cordrycepts and chaga which are supposed to have good performance and natural energy benefits. 1.40 per serving not cheap but backpacking food isn't cheap
Coastal Perspective.

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
I use the Optimus with a pocket rocket and an unbreakable spoon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWOHZAF/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1490390886&sr=8-16&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=optimus

Boils water superfast.

Coffee infused homemade bars for breakfast
Peanut butter and bacon bagel sandwiches for lunch
M H for dinner
Jerkey and protein bars for snacks and emergen-c for electrolyte replacement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »

Coffee infused homemade bars for breakfast
Peanut butter and bacon bagel sandwiches for lunch
M H for dinner
Jerkey and protein bars for snacks and emergen-c for electrolyte replacement

dang making me hungry !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal