collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recurve suggestions  (Read 7061 times)

Offline jbeaumont21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
Re: Recurve suggestions
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »
Any other good brands? Kinda leaning toward non wood riser just for durability and longevity. Any other good brands besides samick? Just trying to search for options.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
if you look on that Samic link they show alloy risers for some samic bows
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
Levi, here you go brother. Why not go with the best? From my home town in the Big Sky state, .........

http://www.schafersilvertipbows.com
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »
Levi, here you go brother. Why not go with the best? From my home town in the Big Sky state, .........

A buddy of mine has one. NICE

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »

Wow those are some beautiful looking bows!

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
If i was you I would get a mid 70's bear grizzly at 50-55lbs. you can get one for around $150 honestly you cant go wrong with old bear bows. if you spend a little more I would get a 1964 bear kodiak its just an incredible bow.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
Any other good brands? Kinda leaning toward non wood riser just for durability and longevity. Any other good brands besides samick? Just trying to search for options.

I shoot my dad's longbow that was built in '79.  It is wood and glass.  A quality made bow will last a long time.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Online Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
If i was you I would get a mid 70's bear grizzly at 50-55lbs. you can get one for around $150 honestly you cant go wrong with old bear bows. if you spend a little more I would get a 1964 bear kodiak its just an incredible bow.

My bro in law had a Bear Grizzly,55lbs I believe. Great shooting bow. He now has a custom made longbow that some guy on the upper pen in Michigan made him. 50lbs. It is sooooooooo light. It feels like nothing and shoots great. I wanna say he paid $700 for it.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
For a hunting bow don't buy an aluminum riser, they are just plain miserable in the cold.  I know little about compound other than they are easy to hold on full draw.  I hunted with a bow in the 1950's, 60's and 70's pre compound era for both big game, small game(even pheasant) and belonged to a archery hunting club.  I started with a ParX 50# bow, aluminum grip and magnesium limbs, it was the coldest bow to hunt with, I tried wrapping the handle with sheep skin, you name it the cold just seemed to seep into my hand no matter what I did, hated that bow in the winter and bought a Bear Grizzly 55#, best thing I ever did as far as archery hunting.

I did end up with a compound in the early 1980's a fellow traded one in on a rifle at my shop, I believe it was a 60# Martin, so easy to hold on a full draw and accuracy was unreal, I could keep arrows in a paper plate to 70 yards, as good as shotgun slug of the day.  I only kept it for a short time as I could no longer archery hunt for deer.

I did see one of the early Kodiak Magnums with the metal strip in them delaminate in a fellows hand at one of our club practice sessions, it took a lot of stitches to put his hand back together.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
Take a look at this bow.
 http://www.greatreearchery.com/viewproduct.asp?menu_id=2&category_id=1&itemtype_id=4&item_id=30&pgsize=&t=
I have around 20 recurve and longbows and this one is my go to bow. Its the fastest hardest hitting of what I have. It cost around $250. It's a one piece which to me means its lighter in the hand and sexier to look at then a take down. Its about twice the price as the Samic Sage and will kick the Sage to the curb.The Sage is a cheap bow and shoots good for what you get but is probably my least favorite to shoot. I have a couple older Bear Kodiaks that I really like also.
I'm not sure.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal