collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Wyoming antelope planned, need ancillary advice!  (Read 1578 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
2017 Wyoming antelope planned, need ancillary advice!
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
So we're headed to Wyoming in October! Were going to hunt leftover tags in unit 10, on a trespass fee hunt. It is my dad and I, and a very good childhood friend  I recently reconnected with and his dad.

Were gonna stay in sheridan most likely, want to find a hotel/motel or cabin that has a place to plug a freezer in, last time we went, we stayed in greybull and found a motel that had a garage hunters had freezers in. Was nice to process and wrap, coming home with frozen packs ready to go.

We were planning on combining a deer hunt into our trip, and we may still end up trying to buy some leftovers and hunting what public we can find.  We will be there 5-6 days, and according to the land owner could easily be tagged out in 2 days for goats, and they don't allow deer hunting. If we don't decide on getting deer tags, are there varmints we could chase?

So the help I need;
A recommendation of a hotel/motel that is hunter friendly, that has spots to process or at least dump a freezer off at would be awesome. If such a thing doesn't exist, I may see if the landowner may have a spot.

What is there for varmints available?? Prairie dogs still up? Maybe fishing would be a better plan? Bird hunting?

I'm all ears for any advice about the trip! It's been 15 years since I was last in Wyoming, I'm super excited to spend some time there!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: 2017 Wyoming antelope planned, need ancillary advice!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:54:17 PM »
We stayed at the KOA in Sheridan a couple of years ago. We had a tent site with electricity, and they have a covered area with a concrete pad and a picnic table. The restrooms and showers were just a short walk away. They also have cabins you can rent. We had a cargo trailer with a chest freezer which we had plugged in the whole time, and ended up with four deer in it. The previous year we had also stayed in Sheridan but at a motel. We had the same chest freezer inside the cargo trailer, and we were able to back it right up to our motel room, and there were outside plugs so we could plug in the freezer. That worked out pretty well too, but we preferred the campground experience. There was more privacy and more room.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
Yeah I'm all for the koa route, but I think the others want a regular bed under them. I'm hoping I'll have an enclosed trailer by the time we leave, that would really be ideal, just having trouble swallowing the prices they want, I'm tempted to find an old 2 house trailer for 5-700$ and build that into a camp hauler.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
You might check into the Blue Gables motel in Buffalo. I think it's even closer if you're hunting area 10. We never did end up staying there but I talked to the owner about it once and they've got some really nice cabins and if I remember correctly they have a walk in cooler for hunters to hang and process their animals.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
I'll look into that, great tip!

I appreciate all the help you've been bobcat, thank you!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal