collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wife and I planned a trip to kauai any advice?  (Read 6834 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Wife and I planned a trip to kauai any advice?
« on: February 28, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
The wife and I are headed to kauai in December. Anybody have any must see or must do things while there?

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wife and I planned a trip to kauai any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »
There is a ton of fantastic hiking there bring your boots, and hiking poles.  I have had some of the best fish in my life in kauai, and none of it was expensive.  Look for hole in the wall local joints instead of tourist traps.  Snorkel at tunnels beach it is absolutely amazing.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
We did the zip lines at  Princeville while staying on the north shore   Hanalei is just about the end of the road. Great vibe. Went to the community church. Fun cultural exchange.  Have funnnn
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »
Get some fish tacos. Poipu is a really nice beach. Hanalei is nice too if you're on the north side. Lots of chickens there. You can hike the Na Pali coast for days. Kauai is a pretty chill, laid back place. Lots of good food and live music in every little bar. Bring a fly rod if ya want and toss a streamer in the Wailua river.

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:10:19 AM »
Get some fish tacos. Poipu is a really nice beach. Hanalei is nice too if you're on the north side. Lots of chickens there. You can hike the Na Pali coast for days. Kauai is a pretty chill, laid back place. Lots of good food and live music in every little bar. Bring a fly rod if ya want and toss a streamer in the Wailua river.

Oh.   How could I have forgotten about the chickens.   Bring ear plugs cause they start EARLY
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
Are the chickens wild?

We are staying on the north end of the island at the Westin.

We really like local restaurants and markets and things like that

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
The fish tacos at the little place closest to the end of the road on North shore. We did the ditch tube ride with the kids, it was great. Visit the Puka Dog hotdogs shack. If you like Rum and Cigars my favorite is the Island Prince Momona and thier spiced rum is good. There is a Costco and a Gluten free bakery. Farmers market was great. Find a ripe white pineapple.  We stayed at the Point of Point Poi Pu pretty much next to the  Grand Hyatt. They had a good Luau. The local Vanilla Macedonian nut coffie is to die for. Get a jeep or a convertible. You would really only need the jeep for a couple of small areas. I've been 3 times and love it.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »
Winter time is the wrong time of year for snorkeling.  The swirling sand makes for low visibility and those conditions are when most people get bit. I love snorkeling.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline skipjack

• Forum Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
Last time we went into took my bow.. think it was so  $100 for a license. Rented a jeep and went up in the hills and hunted goats and pigs.. they work the edge of the canyon and the trails are fun to hike.. little scarry seeing sign of big Pigs when your on a tight trail..

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Last time we went into took my bow.. think it was so  $100 for a license. Rented a jeep and went up in the hills and hunted goats and pigs.. they work the edge of the canyon and the trails are fun to hike.. little scarry seeing sign of big Pigs when your on a tight trail..

Please tell me more about this.  Are the pigs/goats invasive and therefore necessary to hunt?  What did you do with the animals (e.g. donated to some local charity, take what you could eat and leave the rest, etc)?  Is it archery only, or can one bring/rent a rifle too.

We're going sometime March-May next year for 2 weeks.  Probably Kauai but not positive. 

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »
The Grand Canyons of Hawaii are neat book the eco adventure that way if the jeep gets stuck your not paying a wrecker

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »
Pretty sure in my case that won't work out. The wifey is getting her vacation time with me after a fall of me hunting 4 states so hunting is out.   :chuckle:

Online baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
Pretty sure in my case that won't work out. The wifey is getting her vacation time with me after a fall of me hunting 4 states so hunting is out.   :chuckle:

I was in the same boat a couple years ago.  I wanted to book a Goat hunt on the big island, but the wife said no since it was her vacation after I spent all hunting season somewhere other than home.

It didn't bother me much until we pulled out of the airport near Kona and I saw all the goats feeding next to the highway guard rail.  Then it was all I could think about.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:40:45 AM »
As I remember correctly there is a native guide that can take you pig hunting with dogs. You get to sticker with a knife! It's on my to do list!

Confucius

Offline bulldogs40

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »
Try and apply for a permit to overnight on the napali coast. It is ranked as one of the most dangerous hikes in the world because of some exposed cliffs but it looks amazing. Me and my fiancé had permits but the park closed due to flash flooding and we were unable to do it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]