collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: hand squeaker, don't leave home without it.  (Read 2497 times)

Offline cdriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • wood stocks and hand calls James 2:14-18, USMC
hand squeaker, don't leave home without it.
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »
I was reminded of the importance of carrying a hand bulb type squeaker when hunting. Out by Mason Lake last week my partner was using an e-call, I had the back door covered and was using one of Rick's awesome calls. Coyote comes out of the brush 50 ft from me heading towards the e-call. He sensed but didn't spot me as he moved back into cover. I was able to squeak him to a stop and put two 22-250 rounds into him as he peeked through the other side of the brush.  Healthy looking young male. I believe he would have been gone if not for the squeaker, maybe I could have barked and stopped him. Shotgun would have been more effective in this situation. Not the first time that's happened, especially in Western Wash. conditions. A good day of hunting.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
Re: hand squeaker, don't leave home without it.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
squeak your knuckle
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »
KISS
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
squeak your knuckle
Carl

^^This.^^  Or learn to squeak with your lips, no hand movement necessary.  Succulent!

Good story and good tip re a squeaker call.  Also some good thinking and good shooting.

The best thing about call sounds you make without needing an external device is that you ALWAYS have the call with you, always available instantly.  Using squeeks or other sounds I make with my voice I have called coyotes, foxes, lynx, black bears, moose, elk, blue grouse, and assorted such critters.  I have a hand call around my neck when hunting anything any time in the woods, and always have my voice along.

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Pheasants Forever NRA
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
Every time I used the "kiss" squeak, said coyote increases speed...away from me!  Makes me wonder if they have heard it all before :chuckle:

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »
Every time I used the "kiss" squeak, said coyote increases speed...away from me!  Makes me wonder if they have heard it all before :chuckle:

I believe you.  Animals are hard to figure sometimes.  And of course, maybe your squeaks are irritating like fingernail on a chalk board!  :)  ( I doubt that.)

Stopping a fleeing animal that has come in and gotten spooked is a always a maybe, depending on how scared he is, whether he got a snoot full of your scent or is just uncertain, etc.   I have used woofs and yips on those running away more than lip squeaks but more often have done nothing but silently track with the scope hoping for a momentary pause to look back.  For wary ones that are hung up or getting cautious on the approach or that I want to take one step to give me a shot, then I use squeaks.  Squeaks have worked much better on grey foxes than on any other animal, for me. 

I have called coyotes with lip squeaks only when opportunity arose and I didn't have any other call.  But calling them in is different from getting them to stop once they are outbound.  And some ignore calls sounds that are usually effective on their species.  Ain't it fun?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]