collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should all OTC tags be eliminated and draw only hunting be the way forward?

NO - keep the general season open
262 (69.1%)
YES - make all hunting special draw only like Utah
117 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 379

Author Topic: Should ALL general season Elk hunts be canceled in favor of permit only hunting?  (Read 35318 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Post of the year right there folks! :kneel:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
I am in awe. All that comes to mind is...

PERZACKLY!
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Mic drop...

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
And there you have it !!!!  Just like i said years ago !!  We all meet at the end of the last existing trail wodering were all the critters went , they tell us to relinquish our tags , licenses , social security cards , weapons , cash , controlled substances , parking permits ,  hunting rights , and anything else that resembles freedom , and for more money than we can spend we get a two day g.p.s. tracked permit to walk around a little bit untill our vehicle is towed by the slacked jawed yokle you met at the gate cuz you didnt register your tag number with fish n brokers new union master hunter legisletion unit created by that hick chick watress at coulee dam general store on christmas eve like listed in the new hunters law book published by Trumps excecutive new law and order , so he can track your every profitable motions !!  Whew ! that was very mind draining ill c u next week !

Do we have a translator?
Dilligaf

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Should I be concerned I actually  understood the old cryd for a change.

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
State would likely not due away with general season elk. There is way too much profit loss. It would also make sense that if, by taking away of general season would be a way for the state to slowly disarm hunters. In theory many people only big game hunt not all, but many hunters would just give up on waiting for a lottery tag to occur. It would also hurt business (fuel, food, tax, accessories, guns, and many things that are a must for hunting). It would also hurt many people to fork out more money in hopes of a draw. Permit draw would become more expensive.

Offline DavidM

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF, Back Country Sportsman, NRA,
I am sure I will get hammered for this but. Part of our problem is access. We have to easy access in Eastern Wa. in most areas. You can drive any where you want to and see another road from the one you are on. There have been multiple studies done that show most big game want to stay 3 or more miles away from road traffic. And the animals know when they start hearing the vehicles in the woods it's time to head for safe ground reserves or private land where there safe. The Clockum heard for example, the state would like to keep it around 6,000 head  talk to the biologist and they think there are around 8,000 head. They would like to keep about a 8 to 1 Cow to Bull ratio for proper breeding but because of the heard numbers they are at about 12 to 15 to 1. But because of off season kills there aren't enough mature bulls to breed the larger numbers. I have been hunting that area and others out of state (when I could afford it) since I was 12 years old I am 58 now. We as a group have always had the best luck seeing multiple animals when we have walked in for 4 or 5 miles. I am not a horn hunter I am a meat hunter. So my vote would be to leave it the same non draw general tags but consider the access issues. Grant access to those who have limited mobility. Just my thoughts go ahead and hammer away. 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Not gonna hammer you a bit but did you forget what your member pic is?What kind of roads do you mean?Asphalt,gravel,logging?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline stickslinger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
No hammering here, as far as colockum I am all for only having the two main roads that go from elensburg to wenatchee open, close all of the rest and increase the penalty for not following road closures
RELAX,PICK A SPOT,SHOOT STRAIGHT

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
If they start limiting road access I might not be all by myself all season long lol. I think that limiting access would be good and I don't actually think it would push more people out of their rigs either. I would be on board with that.

Offline DavidM

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF, Back Country Sportsman, NRA,
I thought that my picture would get a few comments. But I use the UTV so I can park my truck and Drive from camp to camp for the social hour  :chuckle: I use it more at home than up hunting its a good conversation piece up hunting though. Sorry to get off topic.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
I thought that my picture would get a few comments. But I use the UTV so I can park my truck and Drive from camp to camp for the social hour  :chuckle: I use it more at home than up hunting its a good conversation piece up hunting though. Sorry to get off topic.
Actually that's very cool,I love riding up the road on my atv to say howdy and get to know who's out there with me.You find some pretty good people out there
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Allen23

• Tracker
It probably should be permit only at least for say a 3 year period if the Yakama Indians will adhere to some realistic seasons and limits.  Give it a try for a 3 year period and see how it goes.

If the Indians don't want to change, then maybe it's time to do away with spike only for the rest of us.

I'm with this guy!! I can see no good coming from limiting the rest of us so that a certain group of people can take advantage of the elk population. Everyone has to be on the same page. Hunting treaties would need some corrections and verbiage changes before this would be effective, I think.
In a world where it is so easy to attach your self to the negative side of things remember, What would Grandpa say?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
And you believe that will EVER happen?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
All GMU's that are within the Yakama's hunting area should have the same seasons and regulations that the Yakama's adhere to, in my opinion. If you can't beat them, join them. After all, the treaty says they have the right to hunt "in common" with us. So being that they refuse to limit themselves in any way, I say we do the same. Bull season will be year around, and cow elk season will be September 1 to December 31, no limit to how many elk a person may take. The rest of the state can go to permit only so our elk can be properly managed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:56:21 AM by bobcat »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101