collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should all OTC tags be eliminated and draw only hunting be the way forward?

NO - keep the general season open
262 (69.1%)
YES - make all hunting special draw only like Utah
117 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 379

Author Topic: Should ALL general season Elk hunts be canceled in favor of permit only hunting?  (Read 35312 times)

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
I'm not sure elk numbers in the NE corner of the state are a good barometer of the overall health of elk herds statewide. I could be mistaken, but I don't think elk are the top priority in the NE corner of the state and increasing herd numbers is probably the opposite of what WDFW wants.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
I'm not sure elk numbers in the NE corner of the state are a good barometer of the overall health of elk herds statewide. I could be mistaken, but I don't think elk are the top priority in the NE corner of the state and increasing herd numbers is probably the opposite of what WDFW wants.
No elk arent the top priority in the ne corner wolves are

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
I was thinking more along the lines of other ungulates.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
I guess those in favor of s draw system could put their money where their mouth is and refrain from hunting elk two out of three years and see if that helps. Maybe herds and opportunities will get better and guys like me will finally see the light.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
I guess those in favor of s draw system could put their money where their mouth is and refrain from hunting elk two out of three years and see if that helps. Maybe herds and opportunities will get better and guys like me will finally see the light.

I think many of us already do refrain from hunting elk, and probably for more than just two out of three years. Lots of people buy the elk tag only so they can apply for a branch antler bull permit. Then they don't draw, and therefore they simply don't hunt elk that year.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
I archery hunt the NE corner and refused to shoot a cow even though a few would have been easy shots.  So my freezer has been pretty empty last few years. Guess I'm not one of the 10% elite Elk hunters.... I could bait them and did bait for camera, had 3-4 bulls on a string but I didn't hunt my bait piles; I'm fairly certain I could share a decent raghorn success pic every year on HW if I did that.

I want that screaming bull pizz'n on itself thrashing brush experience and I can't find it in the NE corner.  They're silent, elusive and constantly pushed by wolves.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB

I think many of us already do refrain from hunting elk, and probably for more than just two out of three years. Lots of people buy the elk tag only so they can apply for a branch antler bull permit. Then they don't draw, and therefore they simply don't hunt elk that year.

I fall into that category bobcat, I have no desire to hunt a spike bull, I'll wait for a chance at a big bull or hun t in another state, but I get to hunt all the time in multiple states, I would hate to see the guys who like to hunt elk every year in WA and can't afford interstate hunting to suddenly be unable to hunt elk in WA.

Even Utah which has half their state on draw tags and produces many more trophy elk than WA has half the state on over the counter tags so everyone can go elk hunting if they want. The biggest difference I see in Utah is that their management is much better, when the herd in any unit dips they reduce tag numbers, when numbers get above objective they increase tags, tag numbers change every year, depending on herd status. They even revise objectives at times when they feel a unit can handle more elk, and lastly they aggressively manage predators and work to increase hunted species for hunters.

I would like to see WA make a few more limited entry areas, maybe one or two in the NE corner too. Mostly we need some predator management and some habitat improvement projects, not just bans on what recreationists can do under the phony guise of habitat improvement. But WDFW will likely never do that, poor excuse for an agency serving hunters.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
Doesnt utah kinda favor the rich sportsman?? And i hate point creep.....im not Real up to date on this topic, im from the wet side so i just i dont want anything to change....i love chasing roseys. Sure i would like to hunt rockys on the east side but that means i dont get to hunt here if i dont draw. I cant afford to hunt out of state so that being said no im very against the whole state going to a draw system only for elk.

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
By the way... ...ive killed 8 bulls in the last 8 years and not all of them rag horns.....spend more time in the woods and you will have a better hunt. A draw tag dont guarantee you anything. Learn your area and hunt it. Every bull is a trophy in my book!! Ask my kids!! You cant measure memories in inches......just sayin.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Maybe have both systems?  You could chose OTC tag with no option for special permits--no point building and have to hunt the general seasons, OR you choose special permits and can't default back to the general season if not drawn.  Allocate all the different special permits into one big pool and get rid of the choose your side/weapon.  Then if a guy draws quality bull in late sept, he gets to choose whatever weapon he wants.  Seems like it would up the odds for those that prioritize the draw, and reduce the crowds during the generals.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]