collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help with my first hunting dog  (Read 4700 times)

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Help with my first hunting dog
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
Advice/opinions on training are like________, well everyone who has a dog has one...so here is mine  8) Enjoy it! It can be frustrating for you but also for the dog. I have "trained" my last two dogs. Were/are they perfect? Hell no. Will that dog do anything to please me...yep. I really think it has something to do with the time spent training. First and foremost she is part of our family. Training and that process strengthened that bond. You have a great looking pup...try to enjoy every minute you have with it. And remember, at least in my experience, training never really stops. 

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Your getting a mixture of good and bad advice. If you want to train your self you need to find a good method that works for pointing labs and stick with it. Or find a trainer that can train you and your dog at the same time. You can then go home and keep training. Probably like 10 2 hour visits would get you good results. If you want great results I suggest having him trained by a pro. You will learn a lot about bird dogs but hunting behind one that a pro trained.
I have actually already enrolled him in a month long training by the trainer my breeder uses and recommends. He is very family with their dogs and their point nature. However, this isn't until summer 2018 so I want to get him as well trainers as I can before this happens so he gets the most out of training.

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
Did you ask the breeder any of these questions?
Yes I did. The breeder is actually the one to give me the birds for training. I just want to get as much information as I can to help train him right.

I'm not sure where you are in Ewa, but on versatiledogs.com and refugeforums.com there is a memeber, Doc E that is in NE Washington, and knows and breeds with the Morgans.

http://www.docsdognutriceuticals.iwarp.com/ If you can't find him on those sites that is his website.

Doc E is into the HRC thing, you should check that out IMO. Have fun!
Thanks! I am in Spokane so it looks like he is pretty close to me.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal