collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Methow valley  (Read 9082 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Methow valley
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
On the roads  - 100% chance of seeing other others
100ft off the road - 75% chance of seeing other hunters
.5 mile off the road - 25% chance of seeing other hunters
1-2 miles off the road - 5% chance of seeing other hunters
3-5 miles  in - you've got the whole forest to yourself.

OK... Stats may not be perfect, but you get the idea  :chuckle:

Curtis

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
A later season mixed with an early migration equaled an enourmous harvest.  Then the doe debacle.   Then large number of permit tags, and a horrible winter along with multiple flourishing wolf packs.    Honestly it's A travesty what has happened.  Hats the simple version of the story.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
A later season mixed with an early migration equaled an enourmous harvest.  Then the doe debacle.   Then large number of permit tags, and a horrible winter along with multiple flourishing wolf packs.    Honestly it's A travesty what has happened.  Hats the simple version of the story.

Nailed it

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 08:14:54 PM »
Great info to know! Thanks guys! I really did join the right forum at the right time (months BEFORE my first hunt haha)

So if I go scout the area in the summer and somehow see a bunch of deer despite what you guys have said then I still may check it out.

Also what's up with the "high buck hunts"? I see on the site it's an earlier 3pt minimum season you can use modern firearms. It's only in certain areas but one place it says is "alpine lakes" is a place to do high buck hunt. Does this mean ANY "alpine lake" in the state or is it referring to a set of lakes in particular somehow?
Don't know if you guys have the answer for that one but that would be a big help.
It would be a nice summer trip to hike up to an alpine lake, cast for trout and scout some deer if I knew I could come back there for a buck hunt.
Thanks again all 😁👍
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
Alpine Lakes is the name of the wilderness area between I-90 and Highway 2.  High buck hunt is a rifle season for hunting within the wilderness area boundaries, specifically the ones listed in the regulations. 

You're going to run into plenty of people in the backcountry.  Either other backpack hunters, or horseback hunters.  So scout an area you like and give it a try.  The Methow and to the north west Pasayten wilderness are beautiful areas to hunt.  Not as many mule deer these days, but still more deer per square mile than most other places in the state.  Hence the "orange army" of hunters. 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
Great info to know! Thanks guys! I really did join the right forum at the right time (months BEFORE my first hunt haha)

So if I go scout the area in the summer and somehow see a bunch of deer despite what you guys have said then I still may check it out.

I'd be surprised if you saw a single deer in the areas you mentioned during the summer, good luck to you though. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »
Just as a note if you look at the regs for the high hunt you will see the Wilderness areas open for this. Not all wilderness areas are open for it though. Being that only certain wilderness areas are open for it there is a high concentration of hunters in some of the areas. Success is very low with the weather usually being nice. For most its another excuse to be out there and maybe get a deer or even a bear. As far as taking the pole along to fish also remember this if there is a trail there will be hikers so this typically means less deer in the area at least legal 3 point or better ones. Good luck this year, I would do some scouting this summer but keep in mind there is a chance when you find an area that you like or looks promising that come opening day you might have a lot of company. Don't get discouraged but realize success rate is around 5%.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
@skyvalhunter I know they are listed in the regs. That's why I asked about alpine lakes I thought it meant Alpine lakes in general I didn't realize that was the name of a wilderness area. And as for the fishing I meant check out the high buck area pre-season and cast for trout while scouting, not during the high hunt hahah.
Thanks for tips and as far as success rate that's good to know!! Didn't realize it's that low

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
@skyvalhunter I know they are listed in the regs. That's why I asked about alpine lakes I thought it meant Alpine lakes in general I didn't realize that was the name of a wilderness area. And as for the fishing I meant check out the high buck area pre-season and cast for trout while scouting, not during the high hunt hahah.
Thanks for tips and as far as success rate that's good to know!! Didn't realize it's that low

Yeah, if you want to kill a lot of deer you should have moved to Maryland, or South Carolina or some place like that.  Granted this was 2007, but when I interviewed for a job in Baltimore I looked up the regs.  Bag limit there for modern firearm hunters was 10 does and 2 bucks.  Archers could take unlimited does.

I have an uncle in SC.  He said the bag limit there was 1 deer.  Per day.  Season ran from something like August to February.  I never looked it up, so I can't confirm if that's correct, but it wouldn't surprise me much.  Granted, the whitetails out in MD and SC are about the size of a German Shepherd, so you need a few to get a decent amount of meat, but still.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
Wow that's totally insane! I've never moved in my life born and raised Bellevue now reside in Redmond. With a wife and 4 year old were not going anywhere haha so I'll gladly deal with what we got here! Going just a couple weekends per year will keep it sport-y and challenging and I'll look forward to it every time!!
If that makes any sense hah!

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »
Take at look at the harvest reports for the GMU's closest to you. From where you live, you're not too far from some nice blacktail country, maybe an hour. Pretty good black bear country too. @skyvalhunter gave good advice when he suggested country close to you.   

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
I will look at harvest reports close to me and see if there is anything close by worth trying but I'm looking forward to getting out for a weekend with my father in law.
If methow valley isn't the place to be does anyone have suggestions of where might be a good place to start on the eastern half of Washington?
Chelan national recreation area? All the way over near Spokane? Any ideas? Thanks again everyone

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
From the sheds I see being scooped up, the Entiat seems to be fairing well.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
I have to agree with some comments here. The Methow herd is not doing well. I have a place up at the top end of the valley. The last two seasons have been abysmal for mule deer.  I saw one mature 4 by 4 with eyeguards this year and that was it for mules save for a few spikes and numerous does.

However, in low elevations the whitetail are taking over. If you have access to private land or can otherwise access lower elevations give it a try for whitetail. From talking to other people around me, there's no shortage of those. This year (which was technically a bad year even for the whitetails) I had approximately 8 legal bucks that were staying within a one mile radius of me.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
That's one of the "snow  jobs" or cons of the WDFW.   Apply for that late whitetail permit.  Buy those points.   98% of the whitetails in the valley are On private land.   Yes I ve killed some nice whities in the valley, and have seen even bigger, but you have to have access or at least be familiar with the fringe.   They are holding their own because of their domain.   Less wolves, less pressure.  Hiway kills most of them. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]