collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: sheep unit question  (Read 4108 times)

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
sheep unit question
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
for a person  who cant get around so well been looking at units with decent road systems and what the likey hood of  finding sheep off those roads   like cleman mt ,umtanum quilomen and maybe  selah butte    and  for distance maybe out to 300+ yards thanks 

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: sheep unit question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
Quilomene would probably be one of the better choices, as you can go all over the place with a jeep or an ATV.

Umtanum might be okay as you might be able to shoot from near the highway, you'd just need a raft or boat to get across the river to get your sheep after you shot it.

I hunted Clemans and I wouldn't recommend it. Selah Butte maybe, if you can afford to pay for access to the private land.

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
when i mean road i was thinking green dot  or  or something like that

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
I think the Quilomene would be the best choice, but use a boat. It's a physically easy hunt as the sheep come to the river.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
Selah Butte maybe, if you can afford to pay for access to the private land.

Out of curiosity how much does it cost to access that land?

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »

Umtanum might be okay as you might be able to shoot from near the highway, you'd just need a raft or boat to get across the river to get your sheep after you shot it.

Is the river or the road the boundary. Seriously asking because if the river is the boundary this could be very bad advice. Also not many rams in the canyon during the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »

Is the river or the road the boundary. Seriously asking because if the river is the boundary this could be very bad advice. Also not many rams in the canyon during the season

The Yakima River is the boundary between the Umtanum and Selah Butte sheep areas.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

The Yakima River is the boundary between the Umtanum and Selah Butte sheep areas.
What I thought. If you "shot one from the highway" as was suggested you would be shooting from the wrong unit

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »
Then just call the WDFW and ask if it's legal to hunt with a rifle in that area. If they say yes, you're good to go.   :tup:

But seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen a law that says you can't kill an animal in one GMU just because you happen to be standing in another GMU.

I also happen to know that a sheep was killed in exactly the way I described. No legal issues occurred as a result of that sheep being shot in one unit by a hunter in another unit.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
Then just call the WDFW and ask if it's legal to hunt with a rifle in that area. If they say yes, you're good to go.   :tup:

But seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen a law that says you can't kill an animal in one GMU just because you happen to be standing in another GMU.

I also happen to know that a sheep was killed in exactly the way I described. No legal issues occurred as a result of that sheep being shot in one unit by a hunter in another unit.
I don't know how it is enforced but I would consider shooting from a location I didn't have a legal right to hunt from as hunting in a closed area based on this RCW:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.08.010

(62) "To hunt" and its derivatives means an effort to kill, injure, harass, harvest, or capture a wild animal or wild bird.

When shooting are you making an effort to kill, injure, harass, harvest or capture a wild animal? If so, then you are hunting at that location.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »

I don't know how it is enforced but I would consider shooting from a location I didn't have a legal right to hunt from as hunting in a closed area based on this RCW:

(62) "To hunt" and its derivatives means an effort to kill, injure, harass, harvest, or capture a wild animal or wild bird.

When shooting are you making an effort to kill, injure, harass, harvest or capture a wild animal? If so, then you are hunting at that location.

Too vague. Wouldn't hold up in court.   ;)

If I had an Umtanum sheep tag and I wasn't physically capable of hiking those steep hills, I'd take a sheep from the "wrong" side of the river. Just as one hunter did a couple of years ago.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »
Interesting argument.  Happens every fall.  I had one shot that I was photographing.  Of course that was a native, and not sure what rules apply there.   

I think it's 1500 for access that ranch.   Probably your best bet.   Some decent Rams there too since they are somewhat "protected"

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »

:yeah:
The case will be made where you/the shooter is standing/physically located.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »

:yeah:
The case will be made where you/the shooter is standing/physically located.

Can you shoot across private property? Let me rephrase that, is it legal? :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]