Advertisement

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 46249 times)

Offline mdbuck5x5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Ticks
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »
I was in the NE corner last weekend and my hunting partner had 3 on him.  I had sprayed down with permethrin and didn't have any on me.

Thats exactly what I used last weekend up there and didn't have a one on me either after picking up 9 the weekend before with no permethrin.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »
Permethrin is where it's at. I've used it for a couple years now, sold on it. I also spot treat gear, and my dog, with Picaradin, and have had great results. Last year after a day of shed hunting in the Teanaway, my Dad went untreated and had several ticks pulled off, including on the ride home. Never found a single one on the dog.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »
So they don't actually eat the ticks u less they try to attach to an opossum?

@Special T

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2825780/

6 species afflicted with 100 ticks each.  It's a study based on grooming behaviors. 

Mice in particular are important in the life cycle of ticks.  One tactic for reducing ticks in a given area is to put out cotton balls treated with permethrin.  The mice use it to line their nests, killing the ticks that would feed on the young.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »
Over the weekend I found 2 ticks crawling on me and a third was just starting to embed into my inner thigh.....  :o 

I hate blood suckers. >:(
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2018, 08:39:11 AM »

@Special T

6 species afflicted with 100 ticks each.  It's a study based on grooming behaviors. 

Mice in particular are important in the life cycle of ticks.  One tactic for reducing ticks in a given area is to put out cotton balls treated with permethrin.  The mice use it to line their nests, killing the ticks that would feed on the young.
Interesting, I had not read that study. I had read an article on a study, that I posted here on HW about lowering ticks by applying some kind of tick killer on mice and squirrels. It didn't kill the animals but a brush applied anti tick stuff much like the rollers used to apply it to deer and elk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
the best thing since sliced bread. Back east I had days that were so bad that if i walked 10mins I had over 20-30 ticks on me and this stuff worked like a charm.

Offline LittleKiller

• Tracker
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »
So many ticks in Wenaha at the end of April. SO MANY. And we had gaiters on. Heck. I was picking them off my clothes and out of my car on the drive home to the west side, too. So. Many. 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The struggle of man against man produces jealousy, deceit, frustration, bitterness, hate. The struggle of man against mountains is different. Man then bows before Something that is bigger than he. When he does that, he finds serenity and humility and dignity, too." - William O Douglas

Offline simondude

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
Me and a buddy were out on Saturday in eastern washington and he had over 30 on him. I didn't have any I used that Sawyer permethrin stuff.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2018, 04:38:23 PM »
I've seen tons of them drop off of dead hanging deer while my father and I skinned them but never had one attach... then a couple years back I was elk hunting above packwood and boom one got me on the stomach. Most of you guys say you don't feel it but damn that thing hurt when he bit! Then last year my deer out of Kapowsin had some on it, which I'm used to seeing, and later found 1 crawling up my arm. Wife went into full panic mode and a strip search commenced... which I didn't mind lol!

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »

@Special T

Good read thank you
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline O. hemionus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
My co-worker picked up a tick a few weeks ago during a squirrel survey. Tick bit her mid-thigh, and she got it out after a few hours. She started getting worried when a 6" diameter red circle showed up around the bite. Turns out she got a bacterial infection from the bite.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2020, 06:42:19 AM »
Bumping this to the top.  It's well past time that we stop spreading that ANTI propaganda that possums eat 5,000 ticks a year. 

Bad science by crooked scientists with an agenda.  STOP SPREADING THEIR LIES!!!!

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2020, 10:13:57 AM »
Bumping this to the top.  It's well past time that we stop spreading that ANTI propaganda that possums eat 5,000 ticks a year. 

Bad science by crooked scientists with an agenda.  STOP SPREADING THEIR LIES!!!!

Isn't this like saying people with lice kill 90 percent of the lice on their heads, therefore it would be beneficial for everyone to have lice?
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »

Isn't this like saying people with lice kill 90 percent of the lice on their heads, therefore it would be beneficial for everyone to have lice?

Um I cannot follow that comparison. If you want a reason to kill opossum like me we need other effective means to do so. I  HATE ticks, and LOVE to eat Opossum so better ways to control Ticks is a Win Win for me!

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw